Apple's WWDC23 - your thoughts?

Hi there, Community. Did you see the news from Apple? At yesterday’s Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC), several new products and updates were unveiled.
While these technological advancements may be impressive to some, they raise a number of concerns about privacy and the implications for mental health. It feels as if we are stepping closer to a Black Mirror-like reality.
Firstly, the Vision Pro mixed reality headset. This device, with its ability to combine virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR), blurs the line between the real and digital worlds. The concern here is the potential for an over-saturated sensory experience, with digital distractions invading every aspect of our real-world environment. Luckily, at a hefty price of $3,499, it will probably take a while before we’re all equipped with one. I mean, it’s a marvel of technology, but it could also feel a bit…dystopian, don’t you think? :flushed:

And then there’s Apple’s new VR operating system, visionOS. It’s going to allow users to navigate their system using eye tracking, their hand, and voice. On one hand, it’s impressive, but on the other, it’s a bit unnerving, isn’t it? Like, who’s watching the watchers, right? :see_no_evil::speaking_head:
New app called Journal is intriguing. It’s a mental health-focused journaling app. It’s nice to see a tech giant focusing on mental health, but we must remember the importance of digital detox and the benefits of analog journaling, right? :memo::massage_woman: And despite the company’s assurances of end-to-end encryption, it’s important to remember that this is yet another digital platform collecting potentially sensitive personal data.
What do you all think? We’d love to hear your thoughts and opinions on these announcements. As we edge closer to a future that increasingly resembles dystopian narratives, it’s important to think critically about the role technology plays in our lives and society as a whole. Share your thoughts below! :point_down:

Stay connected, stay informed, stay awesome! :dizzy:

2 Likes

I have some things to say about yesterday’s Apple event.

First, I am disappointed that a trillion-dollar company like Apple seemed more focused on introducing new emojis and stickers in their major upgrade rather than making significant functional improvements to iOS and iPadOS, particularly for the pro models.

Secondly, the irony struck me. Apple now has a “too close screen” pop-up warning for iPhones and iPads, only to immediately present their “smart” glasses with 4K+ quality, meant to be worn just 5cm from each eye.

Thirdly, I am concerned about the future implications of using such glasses. Have you noticed how people interact with the device by simply “clicking” in the air without any physical buttons? I worry about the impact on our ergonomics, the potential for developing tic or stereotypical behaviors, and the amount of radiation we may be exposed to with the batteries, heat, and all the wireless technology surrounding our heads throughout the day or during our working hours.

Lastly, I’m uneasy about sharing our moods and how Apple’s watches now even track how much time we spend outdoors in different lighting conditions (they already follow how many times we wash our hands!). Of course, it’s a personal choice, but this level of dependency on a company that profits from our usage feels unsettling.

3 Likes

For $3,500 I expect Tim Cook to hand deliver that to my house & cook me a 3-course dinner.
This is absolutely ridiculous.
Considering the US national median rent is around USD $1,967, so this thing costs almost as much as two months rent.
For $3500 I will personally come to your house, bring you a Mudita Harmony, tuck you in and read one of my bedtime stories to you. I’ll even do the voices.

3 Likes

Imagine paying $3500 plus TAX to look like this when someone walks in the room to have a serious conversation with you.
Priceless.
I suggest reading my blog on the Lost Art of Conversation

3 Likes

This made me SICK TO MY STOMACH. Bad enough we are so detached from society staring at our screens all day now we have a device where my phone screen, laptop screen is now blended with my real world?

Thank god for companies like Mudita. Technology is racing out of control and honestly we are setting up our own demise. I honestly feel sad for kids growing up in this technological FILTH

3 Likes

@cardio79 Since you’re from Canada, that’s almost CAD 4700. That’s a TON of money. I imagine that you could take your family on a GREAT trip for that amount of money, where you guys could spend meaningful time together & share some priceless adventures

2 Likes

I would not take this device if someone gave it to me for free lol

2 Likes

2 Likes

I truly agree! Personally I’m based in the Apple ecosystem and I’d love to see something… IDK, groundbreaking maybe? They used to be trailblazers.

1. It’s like in the battle for our screen time they just decided to stick the screen to our eyes and wrap it around our heads.
  2. It’s an interesting time to be alive, that’s for sure.

Exactly! I mean you would say this stuff to your therapist, but the therapist is bound to secrecy and a single, responsible person. Of course it’s a personal choice to share anything in that app.

2 Likes

@roberto That art is just ON POINT!

And people wonder why we have a loneliness epidemic in this world.

1 Like

While we’re sharing pictures… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am with Eva Vlaardingerbroek’s tweet on this: Reject, and resist.

3 Likes

I couldn’t agree more.
Personally, I think this Apple headset is a VERY expensive ticket to NOWHERE. It’s basically an expensive novelty bullshit toy for rich people.

I’m old enough to remember Google Glass from 2013. That went nowhere. Right off the bat places started banning the use of Google Glass even before its release to the general public, citing concerns over potential privacy-violating capabilities .

Then, in 2014 FB bought headset startup Oculus for $2 billion! Followed by its subsequently ill-advised VR pivot and rebranding as Meta- which didn’t really go that well. Personally, I don’t think the general public is interested in this.

Large companies like Meta have repeatedly failed to make a compelling use case for VR over the past decade, despite massive hardware budgets and hype campaigns singularly obsessed with the idea of building an online Metaverse that no one wants to live in.

Zuckerberg said that “virtual reality will be the next social communications platform.”
I doubt it.

3 Likes