Apple's creepy new iPhone features

Another one, from 30 April 2022:

3 Likes

@kirkmahoneyphd I’ve heard about this. It’s so creepy. As a result, Apple came out with a way to “alert” possible victims, but you have to download an app. which will detect if here is an AirTag that’s not connected to your phone in your vicinity. This is complete insanity.

3 Likes

Agreed! In a way, AirTags “democratize” stalking (/sarc), in that you no longer need to be part of Big Tech to stalk someone!
:upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Two more sources of creepiness:

Yet another example of Big Tech creepiness:

And, this made me think a second time about what I say while walking past the video doorbells that I see in my neighborhood.

And, there’s the CCP’s social-credit system, which is Big Brother meets Big Tech:

3 Likes

https://contrachrome.com/ goes into many ways in which Google uses the Chrome browser to monetize users.

2 Likes

This article made me appreciate that a target of stalking-by-AirTag does NOT have to have an iPhone … or even ANY cellphone:

4 Likes

Police: Indiana Woman Stalked Boyfriend with Apple AirTag, then Murdered Him Men also are getting stalked stalked by women

4 Likes

@jameshjacksonjr I read about this & I think it’s just nuts that people keep using these things. We were at dinner last night with some friends, and one of them who travels very frequently for work uses Apple Air Tags to track his luggage.

3 Likes

Google transmits our locations and browsing habits 70 billion times a day, according to this Bloomberg article.

4 Likes

@kirkmahoneyphd That’s a staggering number of times. :brain: :exploding_head:
Convenience comes at a cost & if people are OK with this, then they can continue to use Google Services. However, it’s important that people have access to options that don’t require them to sell their personal data for a service.

6 Likes

Telegram launched a premium feature that, according to them, is the future of continuing to provide free features respecting the user’s privacy.

I’ll try the premium features next month to support the idea. If their commitment is real, I believe it could be a game-changer for the big tech’s mentality.

2 Likes

Its really scary once you look into the new technology in smartphones mixing with social media. Who know what radio frequencies are beamed at us and how they affect us. Many teens and children are already dealing with depression from this new system. Plus in the USA they have created a new mental health crisis number similar to 911. Have a smartphone spy on your mental health habits while at the same time creating bad and negative patterns of behavior is just wrong.

4 Likes

@theauditor YIKES!

1 Like
2 Likes

I like your point of view. And support it.

Let’s be honest: nothing is actually changed in new Iphones except the overall view and maybe couple of options. Company just changes something very small and then writes a press-release about “New Iphone model XLL is here, check it out! We added new browser so you can browse your stuff faster than light!”

Jesus… I wish Steve Jobs would be alive.

3 Likes

https://www.malwarebytes.com/blog/news/2022/07/facebook-gets-round-tracking-privacy-measure-by-encrypting-links

3 Likes

https://krausefx.com/blog/ios-privacy-instagram-and-facebook-can-track-anything-you-do-on-any-website-in-their-in-app-browser

3 Likes
3 Likes

@roberto It’s all about monetization, isn’t it? It’s all about making money off the data of users. The thing that I don’t really get is that some people are so stuck in the APPLE eco-system that they will never consider leaving. No matter what.
It’s almost like “Stockholm syndrome” LOL

3 Likes

My question to people who tell me that iPhones are easier to use is, “Why do you have to go to an Apple Genius Bar to get help with your iPhone, if it is SO easy to use?”

3 Likes