Apple's creepy new iPhone features

OH boy! This is crazy! Just when we think we’ve hit the bottom of the privacy violation nightmare, POW there’s an underground garage!

The article says that they’re working with scientists on sensory data like physical activity, sleep patterns & even typing behavior so your phone can tip you off about mental health concerns.

9 Likes

So, they addict you to a virtual world full of subscriptions, apps, etc. Then, they create the conditions that you cannot have an everyday life without an electronic device.

In the end, they will tell you if you’re or not “crazy,” always with the premise of safety and care.

I see a severe mental health problem here, but not from the user’s point of view.

12 Likes

I have stopped selling my ebooks on Apple Books because of this news. Apple lost my trust. Apple no longer deserves to earn ebook-sales revenue from my readers.

9 Likes

I have stopped selling my ebooks on Amazon Kindle because of the following news, which was on top of news that Amazon Web Services took down a competitor to Twitter, news that Amazon will not sell ebooks to libraries, and news that Amazon removed a best-selling book from its site while lying about the author’s approach to the book’s topic:

Amazon lost my trust. Amazon no longer deserves to earn ebook-sales revenue from my readers. Once I find a replacement for Amazon as publisher of my paperbacks, I will say goodbye to Amazon paperbacks, too!

6 Likes

@kirkmahoneyphd I was watching Fox Nation & someone on there referred to the Amazon economy as “Amazon Capitalism.” The way they treat their workers & created this One-click, instant consumerism caused me to stay away from it as much as I can. I still use AUDIBLE. If someone has a better alternative, I would love to check it out.

5 Likes

@urszula, I still have my Audible account, with lots of audiobooks still there, but I no longer pay for a subscription. I switched to Kobo (out of Toronto, Ontario), which carries the same audiobooks, because the monthly subscription is 1/3 less than Audible’s monthly subscription. But, I do not recommend Kobo and am looking for an alternative to it because Kobo limits its audiobook downloads to Android and iOS – meaning I never truly own the audiobooks.

5 Likes

@kirkmahoneyphd I’ve been an audible member since the early 2000s When they were their own company & before they were swallowed by Amazon. I remember the desktop software, the Audible Manager that I used to burn CDs with the audiobooks. I think I still have some of those somewhere. That’s when you knew, you had the audiobook & it was truly yours.

6 Likes

This is why I never had an iPhone.

7 Likes

Big data companies like Amazon, Facebook, Google and Apple basically moved the Overton Window little by little over the last 15-20 years, so now many people find this acceptable. It wasn’t done in a day. It was done little by little. Someone here wrote about boiling the frog. It’s exactly like that. If a frog is put suddenly into boiling water, it will jump out, but if the frog is put in tepid water which is then brought to a boil slowly, it will not perceive the danger and will be cooked to death.
We are slowly being cooked to death.

6 Likes

Talk about creepy:

3 Likes

Talking more about creepy, I’m glad NOT to have a Google Pixel 4:

4 Likes

I just saw this one now.

4 Likes

Big Tech creepiness continues with this:

4 Likes

@kirkmahoneyphd Stuff like this scares me. Not a little, but actually a lot. I get this impression that at some point we’ve lost control over our surroundings & we have to be hyper-vigilant about who is watching our every move & what they will do with that information. I don’t remember it ever being like that.

3 Likes

The creepiness never ends.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Did you live through communism? That’s how it is.

4 Likes

@nilss I was very fortunate to grow up in the US. However, I always had relatives in Poland, so I know that it’s pretty scary.

3 Likes

This is done for a reason, so they addict you to a virtual world full of subscriptions, apps, etc. We are already quite dependent on our devices, but you have to see the line that you can’t cross. I as well as many of us are dependent on devices in my business, I use the Apple cash system, more about this here creative.onl . So I can safely say that my prosperity depends on a little box with a touch screen. However, I will never allow my privacy to be violated, I just don’t agree with it. We have to control the devices, not the devices that control us. The older generation understands this, but how can we explain it to our children and grandchildren?

6 Likes

This is exactly what it’s all about.
Technology is a tool & it has to be treated as such.

2 Likes