Apple's creepy new iPhone features

@John_Andersson Oh no! This is too much invasion of privacy. I, personally, would never use one of these.

2 Likes

The disturbing part is: They still track you in the “Health” app even if you don’t use it.

It concerned me the amount of tracking data I found yesterday in that App (and the fitness) without any previous action from my side (steps, distance from the ground, etc.).They also had this tracking in my former iPad mini and Apple Watch, which tracked how many times I’ve washed my hands! I deleted all data and apps and deactivated the motion in the “privacy” menu.

4 Likes

@roberto , This is SUPER CREEPY!

3 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes

https://www.fastcompany.com/90817341/why-is-apple-limiting-chinese-protesters-use-of-airdrop

3 Likes

This may not be a creepy spying feature, but it goes to the whole philosophy of Apple- It’s made to be very difficult to repair. This is why I never bought these phones.

3 Likes

@valleygirl I am also not a fan of Apple products. I really don’t like how they EXCLUDE every other digital device from their ecosystem.
I mean, Blackberry is a proprietary system, but they don’t exclude the way apple does.

2 Likes

@kirkmahoneyphd Did you catch the segment on Tucker’s show about Apple & TikTok?

2 Likes

@urszula: Yes, I saw that, and I have seen an article with side-by-side photos of the AirDrop functionality outside China vs. inside China. Apple usually is very proud to say in its release notes what is new in an operating-system update, but Apple did not cover this difference in that OS update.

2 Likes

@kirkmahoneyphd I don’t know if it was Tucker or someone else who did a segment on TikTok & it outlined the content that TikTok in China is allowed to distribute to children vs what children in the US watch.
For example- the TikTok app in China is restricted with what content it can show to school-aged children. They are shown science experiments, educational content, museum & art expeditions, plus all sorts useful educational info.
However, the TikTok app in the US has no restrictions & it’s basically just garbage.

4 Likes

Tim Cook refuses to answer questions about aiding the CCP

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Ab0kQnJcMrM

4 Likes

A commonality I’m noticing from this thread and others is that Apple and other companies claim to collect data or track information for the benefit of the user. While this may be true they are also collecting vast amounts of information from the entire user population… considering how many users there are this is probably quite a cross-section of humans.

A curious question, how did Apple know how many photos were taken on users iPhones in a year? They obviously have some way of recording that information. Why is it that how many photos you take is being recorded? Is it just for Apple’s product marketing and shareholders or is there some other reason?

Suddenly Orwells 1984 and some other AI stories/movies are much too close for comfort and moving to the boondies is a very real consideration…

3 Likes

It was my question last September, and I still didn’t find an answer.

2 Likes

My simple hypothesis: Apple uses the number of photos auto-uploaded to iCloud from iPhones.

3 Likes

iCloud + iPhone = iSpy
Scary stuff! But easily stopped by ditching the iStuff (and some other tech stuff) and making different choices.

4 Likes

I have also been pondering this aspect, which adds a certain level of concern. Considering that I and others have photos stored on iCloud, originating from various devices, including “normal” cameras, and you can easily upload from a pen drive photos to iCloud Photos, I am curious about the methods employed to differentiate between them.

2 Likes

There is a bunch of metadata in image files that could be used for that kind of analysis. See e.g. Exif - Wikipedia. The images may include information about location, time and unique ID of the device, among other things.

4 Likes

Yes, I don’t know a lot about computer tech these days - however even I am aware that it would be quite easy to match from metadata, the camera device type (make, model, perhaps serial number etc) to the computer/device IP address or other unique identifier. Then perhaps match this with other collected data from iCloud user accounts.

I used to work in the field of document and data collection and collation within the engineering industry - we often collected ‘extra’ data without knowing what we might use it for, with the thought that ‘it may be useful in the future’. It proved to be true when searching for certain documentation as we had more terms and fields we could search in to find what we needed, from millions of stored documents.

With this thought, who knows the scope of metadata which is being collected by certain organisations?

3 Likes
2 Likes