You bought a Mudita Pure & now what?

@cardio79 I’m a BLACKBERRY fan! I’ve got my Q10 still from 2013 :smiley: How much are you asking for your KEY2? Is it listed on eBay or something similar?

I am the opposite way round: I struggle to give up my basic phone and struggle to stick with a smartphone!

It’s not like I’m not confident with technology either: I’m still pretty young, GNU/Linux enthusiast, programmer, follow the tech news. I’ve just noticed that in recent years (maybe 10-15 years), technology is evolving for its own sake or to meet the needs of greedy controlling individuals, rather than those of its users. I’m an advocate for appropriate use of technology, rather than excessive use of it.

Back in 2015 I attempted to join the smartphone revolution, and bought a Fairphone 2. I wanted a de-googled, ethically-produced device with a minimalist set of smart features, and the FP2’s option of a google-free, AOSP-based ROM in addition to their ordinary ROM, combined with its humane and environmental credentials, seemed to fit the bill. I already had a tab (with custom ROM) so was familiar with Android.

I still occasionally try to use it but it’s such a pain, and I find myself returning to my “normal” phone: This was a Nokia 3310, which a year or so ago had to be replaced with a Nokia 800 tough. The 800 with its “KaiOS” software is much clunkier and less user-friendly than the basic-phones of old. Its T9 implementation in particular leaves a lot to be desired, compared to the Nokias of old. But it’s still better than a smartphone.

Why?

Lack of tactile feeling makes typing on a touchscreen annoying and difficult, especially if you are one of those people who remembers being able to type a text message on a numeric keypad without looking at your phone. The battery life is awful. Every 1 or 2 days I must charge it up. Startup time feels like ages compared to a basic phone. There are constant updates and a risk of viruses. It’s a fragile device that is easy to break. The screen doesn’t work in very cold weather, rain, or if it is dirty. If you use a stock ROM, you can’t update it (and sometimes can’t use it at all) without having a google account. You get tempted to put your e-mails on the phone and sign up for WhatsApp or Facebook, at which point you’re bombarded with notifications 24/7 and people expect to be able to reach you and get an instant response 24/7.

No thank you.

I can live without maps on my phone. My youngest car is new-enough to have a built-in GPS. There are other navigation tools such as signposts and other people, and even paper maps, which are all often extremely effective.

I have a basic messaging app (it’s called “SMS” or “Text messages”). I don’t need unnecessarily complex messaging apps, which require a data connection just to achieve what SMS already does.

So basically, I have no use for a smart phone. I don’t have use for any of its “smart” features, therefore I only experience the drawbacks, not the benefits.

As a result, I can avoid expensive contracts: I just have a pay-as-you-go SIM card, but for £6 I can get unlimited calls and texts for the month. I think it also includes 1GB data, but I don’t use any of that. I don’t know how most people can afford to have a Sumsang or an iThing and run it for a couple of years…

So for me there are numerous benefits to keeping a basic phone. I believe from your posts that you are already experiencing the first and most important aspects of digital-minimalism: Peace, quiet and freedom! A regain of control (and no doubt also your wallet). With a lot of today’s attention/advertising-driven technology, we really are paying much more than we think for so-called “convenience”!

3 Likes

^ Well said!

1 Like

I have it listed here in Canada on kijiji…it has a blemish at the top, screen is perfect, asking 300 canadian

1 Like