With new technology, come new opportunities to profit from user data

8 Likes

@roberto This Amazon story is absolutely BANANAS :banana: :banana: :banana:
Imagine that this man could not prove that he was not home & didn’t do this. They could have locked him out for good.

10 Likes

Microsoft and ChatGPT walk into a car…

9 Likes

@roberto MY FACE when I read this article.
YIKES

9 Likes

Here’s something that should make everyone go HMMMMM…

10 Likes

Companies can leverage this data to gain insights into consumer behavior, improve their products and services, and target advertising more effectively. By analyzing user data, businesses can identify patterns, trends, and correlations that can inform their decision-making and drive innovation.

Profiting from user data can take various forms. Some companies sell data to third parties, such as marketers or researchers, who are interested in understanding consumer trends or targeting specific demographics. Other companies use data to personalize user experiences and provide tailored recommendations, which can lead to increased user engagement and ultimately generate revenue through advertising, subscriptions, or transactions.

However, it’s essential to note that privacy and CRM data enrichment protection are significant concerns in the digital age. As technology evolves, so do the discussions around data ethics and user privacy. Many jurisdictions have introduced regulations, such as the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), to safeguard user data and give individuals more control over their information.

10 Likes

Once this technology reaches a more advanced stage of development, I bet that Google and its “friends” will employ it to extract additional information from their users.

Study link: https://arxiv.org/pdf/2306.09348.pdf

9 Likes

At least Threads won’t be launched in EU for now.

5 Likes

@harri Thanks for sharing this. I heard about this new Meta feature, but I didn’t really know how it was going to function. However, after reading this article, I’m really not impressed. Since Meta’s new Twitter alternative aims to collect data from Instagram users, including health, location, search history, and other sensitive information, for the purpose of the new Threads service, I don’t think I’m too excited about this.

4 Likes

Here’s something even MORE WILD:

I’m generally super-excited about Polish tech firms, which bring new & exciting products to market, but I’m not sure how I feel about this one, in particular.
I instantly wondered what @kirkmahoneyphd would think about this.

How about the rest of you guys? Would you use this type of service?

5 Likes

This reminds me of movies in which the bad guy holds the good guy’s face up to an eye scanner so as to gain access to a protected place … or in which the bad guy (well, I won’t say) the good guy’s eye and then holds…

I do not want credit-card thieves tempted to take my eye instead of my credit card.

8 Likes

@kirkmahoneyphd This is seriously good point, and more importantly, a very valid concern. Desperate people resort to desperate measures.
There was a case her in Poland that made headlines a long time ago about 3 teenagers killing a business owner because they “needed” money for prom. They killed the woman & stole approx 400 PLN, which is less than $100.

6 Likes
8 Likes

I’m not surprised @roberto

6 Likes

Self-driving cars use cameras to watch the road and the people inside. Some people are curious about what will happen with the information these cameras collect.

Very interesting read

5 Likes
4 Likes

This is a fascinating thread.
I wonder, at some point in the future, if your identity as a human being only is valid/useful if a bunch of digital verification protocols are attached to your ID. Will there even be an option to say “no thanks” to biometric ID checks?
Something we have learned from the pandemic, is; if something is classified as a “global or national threat”, any measure is feasible even if you trample on the rights of the individual.
I have to say I’m a bit worried.

4 Likes

Funny how the terror of a Crusoesque life on a deserted island becomes more and more tempting as time passes.

3 Likes

There are times I envy the tribe on North Sentinel Island.

2 Likes

It seems that Denmark will do the same.

4 Likes