When was the last time you developed a roll of 35mm film?

Today, I wanted to share something that recently sparked a deep sense of nostalgia and mindfulness in me and perhaps inspire a similar reflection within the Mudita Forum.

While on vacation, wandering through some shops, I stumbled upon something quite unexpected: a traditional photo lab, offering development services for 35mm film. It was a sight that took me back in time, to the days when photography was not just about instant gratification, but more about the intentional capture of moments, followed by the patient anticipation of developing film.

So, I decided to buy a disposable camera just for the fun of using film again. Taking pictures this way is different from using a phone or digital camera. You have to think more about each photo because you can’t take hundreds and choose the best one later.

I’m wondering, when was the last time you took pictures with a film camera? Do you miss it? I think doing things like this, which take more time and thought, can make us enjoy the little moments more.

What do you think? Have any of you tried going back to old ways of doing things for fun?

Can’t wait to hear your thoughts!

2 Likes

I would guess that it was around 2005 to 2007 – at which point digital cameras had been available for several years and when manufacturers started to put cameras in their cellphones.

I recall attending weddings in the early 2000s, when it was popular to see disposable cameras on wedding-reception tables for the wedding attendees to use (and then give to the hosts for processing of the 35mm film, which the hosts then used to get snapshots of the reception printed).

1 Like

@kirkmahoneyphd Do you use a point & shoot digital camera now?
I was recently at an event & I saw a GEN Z girl pull out an old school pocket digital camera & start snapping pix. I asked her why she doesn’t use a smartphone & she said that old school digital cameras are “hottest Gen Z gadget.”

1 Like

Yes, with a Panasonic DMC-ZS100. It has a viewfinder, which beats cellphone cameras in bright sunlight!

1 Like

I came back to this website after learning about the Kompakt, and now I saw this topic.

Just last year I developed two rolls of 35mm film. As a young father it is not easy to carry my film camera with me on top of all other things, let alone to find the time to go to the lab or build a lab myself. But it’s really rewarding.

There is something unique in the experience of shooting film that even my Fujifilm cameras with their manual controls cannot match. Too bad shooting film got so expensive per roll, especially 35mm. Medium format prices are still reasonable especially compared to their digital alternatives. I might want to shoot medium format film in the future and get rid of all my digital Fujifilm cameras.

Recently I bought an Insta360 Go 3 action cam and take it often with me, because it’s so portable and I can pin it to my chest or hat. The camera module itself has no screen, no viewfinder. You just have to aim it and push the button. It’s not exactly like shooting film, but it does make me wait in anticipation for the results and it does force me to get creative and find unique camera angles or moments to capture.

1 Like