What does the future look like with "out-of-control" technology

I read an article this morning that really caught me by surprise.

I honestly thought this was not something that could happen in the US, but I was wrong.
@roberto Is this the “social credit” system you’ve been talking about?
When government’s do it, it’s dystopic, but what about when private entities do it?
Madison Square Garden has quietly used facial-recognition technology to bolster security and identify those entering the building, according to multiple people familiar with the arena’s security procedures.

7 Likes

This is another aspect of “out-of-control” technology:

As a woman, I like jewelry, wearing nice accessories etc. However, I think this definitely crosses the line. Like any wearable technology, this brings up a variety of concerns for me- mainly privacy & data security related., in addition to the broader implications of pervasive technology in everyday life. Like any connected technology, smart jewelry is susceptible to hacking. Sensitive data stored or transmitted by the device could be compromised.

Wearable technology often collects various kinds of data, from health metrics to geolocation. Since data protection laws are not as strict in the US, as they are in the EU, companies might share or sell user data to third parties, often without the explicit informed consent of the user.

I’m curious to hear from you guys. What do you guys this? Would you wear something like this? I know many people have smartwatches (I personally never had one & don’t plan on getting one), but I think wearable jewelry is a whole different level.

5 Likes

I had an Apple Watch (I believe it was a Series 6) for four months, but I decided to sell it. It proved too much for me, and having one more device to look at, touch, and charge was not part of my daily routine.

Now, I use a Casio GA 2100, and I’ve never had to worry about charging it, disabling Bluetooth/Wi-Fi, or dealing with updates.

4 Likes

This wearable tech jewelry would give me too much anxiety.

3 Likes

I wear a Garmin Forerunner watch but a year or so ago stopped synchronizing it with a Garmin Connect app after appreciating how much personal data I was sharing with Garmin. If I want data about a walk or run, I simply choose History > Activities on the watch to find my exercise data for a given date.

3 Likes

As someone with EMF sensitivities I find the cumulative effect created by all of the wireless devices in more populated areas, unbareable.
I would NOT choose any tech wareable. I don’t even wear a watch anymore and love the sense of freedom I have.

3 Likes

Any piece of technology which is on your body for long periods of time- gathering data and bombarding you with notifications is a NO for me. I never understood the use of these fitbit bracelets either.

2 Likes

File this under “out-of-control” technology, if you ask me:

https://needtoknow.news/2023/09/your-wifi-can-see-you/

2 Likes

I’m not sure it this is exactly what we’re discussing here, but it is CREEPY much: https://www.theliquidview.com/

In times when looking out the window AT ANYTHING is a step up from the smartphone screen, let’s just swap our windows for more screens. YAY! Take this and some smart air-ducts and we can start building mass people containers and call them apartments.

2 Likes

@aleksander This could be a different option. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@urszula, I find that photo hilarious. It looks so much like the inside of many prisons that I thought that it WAS a photo of the inside of a prison!

Oh, maybe that IS a photo of the inside of a prison?

3 Likes

Made me think of this :point_down: TOO MANY WINDOWS

1 Like

@aleksander That’s horrible. So horrible.

So this is what the AI thinks of some humans? They can be packed into sardine like areas? Well, perhaps it’s not too different to what some human think of other humans.

Wait, perhaps this is the prison of the future? So, so unnatural. I wonder what the AI would do if asked to do this but with connection to nature included?

2 Likes

@galtions it is definitely a chilling vision! :cold_face:
But I must say, the idea of having seats facing each other (ergo: leg space!) is kiiiind of interesting. I’m a person of moderate height and my legs are quite short compared to the torso etc., but placing my legs comfortably on a plane requires some serious acrobatic skills anyway.
On the other hand the idea of sitting face to face with a stranger for hours is yikes!

2 Likes

I think your YOGA training comes in handy :slight_smile:

You’re introducing an interesting topic @urszula – technology & sport.
I know there are machines that make you sweat more etc. as you exercise, and that measuring effort/calorie burn/heartrate and anything measureable is possible with basically any smartwatch, but it still feels like the fitness industry is not as tech-crazed as it could be. Or am I wrong? What do you all think about this?

1 Like

@aleksander Here’s the issue I have with wearable sports technology- The misuse of data & privacy infringement.
Wearable devices often transmit data wirelessly, either to a paired smartphone or directly to the cloud. If this data transmission is not encrypted or if the device is not properly secured, there’s a risk of interception.
The first thing that comes to my mind is the 2018 DATA LEAK from Strava- it’s a social network for athletes which tracks running and cycling routes. They somehow released a global heat map showing the activity of its users. This inadvertently revealed the locations and routines of military personnel on active service, highlighting potential security lapses.
Stuff like this weirds me out.

2 Likes

Agreed! As I posted earlier, I continue to use a Garmin Forerunner watch but no longer use the Garmin Connect app with it. I can get a LOT of useful data from the watch WITHOUT putting that data at privacy risk by sharing it with Garmin.

2 Likes

I feel that this has two clear sides to it.
If you are a performance athlete tech that tracks / assists with training could be very useful.
If you’re a weekend warrior or a natural athlete, tech could detract from the movement experience.

I also agree with others here, it will always be possible to hack data collected so if you choose tech, choose what you share with it and how you share it.

2 Likes