What do you think will be the next biggest thing to influence our daily lives like the internet did?

With the recent developments in AI (ChatGPT and others), the release of Apple’s Vision Pro, and the gradual emergence of quantum computers, do you believe that any of these will change our daily lives as significantly as the internet did in the 90s, or perhaps even more?

I have a sense that all of these advancements will play a significant role in our not-too-distant future. Can you imagine the possibilities of having an AI assistant, like ChatGPT, but much more evolved, to assist you with your daily tasks?

Moreover, can you envision using a virtual reality device to explore and select the perfect restaurant to visit with your family? It would provide a captivating and immersive experience, revolutionizing the way we make dining choices.

Lastly, I’m curious to hear your thoughts on quantum computers. Although we are still in the early stages of this technological development, quantum computers have already demonstrated remarkable capabilities. According to an article from Live Science (Quantum computing: Definition, facts & uses | Live Science), these machines can perform calculations that would take today’s best supercomputers 10,000 years to accomplish.

Even though it’s important to build a sense of responsibility and awareness when it comes to the mindful use of technology, I still believe it’s bound to become part of our daily existence in the long run. Imagine if you had the choice of using a ChatGPT like assistant to streamline your work, allowing you more free time? How about a virtual reality set to see how busy your favorite restaurant is, saving you the trip?

Over reliance on technology can most certainly be harmful and dangerous, however with responsible use it can also help our lives, giving us more freedom to do what we enjoy.

What is your take on the above?

5 Likes

I completely agree with your perspective. The advancements in AI, virtual reality, and quantum computing have the potential to significantly impact our daily lives in the future. Evolved AI assistants like ChatGPT could revolutionize how we accomplish tasks and manage our time. Virtual reality devices could enhance our experiences, such as exploring and selecting restaurants, creating more immersive and informed decision-making processes. Quantum computers hold immense computational power, opening up new possibilities for solving complex problems.

While responsible use of technology is crucial, it’s important to recognize the positive impact these advancements can have, providing us with more freedom and opportunities. Striking a balance between mindful use and embracing the benefits can help us navigate this evolving technological landscape. It’s exciting to imagine the potential transformations that lie ahead.

4 Likes

AI is definitely going to be front & center, probably in ways we don’t even know.
As I was doing some digging into some topics about AI, I found our that AI , data, predictive analytics and machine learning have been slowly integrating themselves into our lives for YEARS in sneaky ways. We thought ChatGPT was something super-innovative (which it kinda is for some people- but it doesn’t impress me much), but AI has wormed its way into industries we don’t even think about. We all know how AI has been used for YEARS to predict what we may want to buy based on our browsing patterns, but that’s nothing. That’s common knowledge.
Did you know that since 2020/2021, AI has been estimating the length of stay at hospitals. AI technology also allows hospitals to predict daily A&E admissions weeks in advance. Look into Palantir Technologies, an American software company that specializes in big data analytics. The company’s products are used in a broad range of industries, including government, finance, healthcare, legal research, and a host of others. Palantir’s involvement with government and military entities has been a source of controversy. Critics have raised privacy and civil liberties concerns, particularly in the context of Palantir’s contracts with immigration enforcement agencies in the United States.

3 Likes

@urszula, I do believe that AI has been lurking in the background for years, if you may. Only now has it gotten to a point in it’s development where it’s hitting the critical threshold to allow for worldwide adoption.

@jamierobles Yes, I do believe that balance will be key. I believe it will not be an effective use of our time to completely cut ourselves away from these technological advancements, but on the other hand, it’s crucial not to get lost in these technological gimmicks, as I believe may be the case with virtual reality especially.

I’m also curious to see how quantum computers will impact our lives in the years to come. Just like Urszula mentioned, it may impact us in ways that we can’t even conceive of yet.

3 Likes

OKay, so I’m not a fan of AI. I’m sure I interact with it in ways I don’t even know about in my internet wanderings, perhaps it enhances my experience, perhaps not. Here are my general thoughts on the subject…

• AI seems to me an attempt to control the uncontrollable. Thankfully there are spontaneous aspects and unpredictable things which will occur in nature and perhaps show, time and again, the failings of these ‘super’ computers.
  • Where is the adventure of life in this world of quantum computers and AI?
  • What about developing natural PSI- abilities like telepathy and the ability to sense and read energy? This is natural human intelligence. AI seems to seek to disengage humans from their natural ways and evolved natures. Is this actually of benefit?
  • The article above mentions Einstein as talking about quantum entanglement. Ask yourselves where he got this information from…
  • When we have stability, peace and presence in our lives we can develop these natural PSI- abilities. We can attune to our surroundings in ways that allow us to read signs, feel the energy of it and in essence, ‘predict’ things like weather, negating any need for such AI.
  • If humans choose to rely so heavily on AI, will the robots have to train humans to click the “I am not a robot” tick box on websites?

I’ll finish up with a recent experience…
There was a lady who came to my place for the first time last week - it’s a farm property. She arrived half an hour late.
I waited at the gate at the roadside to meet her as we had agreed.
Google Maps ‘took her’ to a house down the road - completely different number to mine. She waited outside their gate and tried to text and call me to see if she should come in and asking if she was at the right place, knowing the property number was wrong.
Phone reception wasn’t good so I didn’t receive her contacts for about 20mins.
She chose to trust Google over everything else - she didn’t budge from that spot parked outside the wrong house number - which she knew was the wrong number, until reception cleared and I was able to receive her contacts and call her back to guide her to the right place.
I’m disturbed by her trusting this maps app over her own eyes and knowledge of the correct house number.

My final thought - if there are known defects in such technology which has been around for many years (this story is not a one off) - how can one be so trusting that the information provided is correct? Where is the balance between technological intelligence and human intelligence?

5 Likes

Neither am I.
I have this weird feeling that it’s all happening so fast, without much consideration to what it will do to us in the future.
YES, new technology comes & goes. After a while, we stop resisting & it just becomes part of our culture. Even television was initially met with some resistance and fear when it was first introduced. Over time, as people become accustomed to the new technology and its effects, these fears tend to diminish, although new concerns may arise as the technology continues to evolve and its societal implications become more apparent. This is how I feel about AI. It has a tendency to be unpredictable- which concerns me.

But, in general, fear of new technologies is often related to uncertainty and a lack of control over the changes the technology might bring.

2 Likes

I expect AI to take over many software-development jobs. The concept of “software design patterns” has been around for many years, and these patterns facilitate coding. You find the scenario of the pattern that most closely matches your scenario, and you follow the coding pattern associated with that scenario. AI can facilitate that process, start to finish.

2 Likes

I agree - my observation has been that one technology sometimes is not even fully rolled out before it’s ‘better’ second generation begins roll out. I wonder why it is that the people behind technology feel to move so quickly with it?

1 Like

I’ve read this thread with great interest. The potential of emergent technologies is indeed fascinating. I agree with the sentiment that these technologies could significantly influence our daily lives, much like the internet did in the 90s.

However, I also share the concerns expressed by some of you about the rapid pace of technological development. On one hand, these advancements can streamline our tasks and enhance our experiences. On the other hand, we must be careful not to lose our human touch and natural abilities in the process.

I believe the key lies in balance and mindful use of technology. We could embrace these advancements, but not at the expense of our human qualities and natural abilities, to the point where we trust them over our own eyes (a funny but chilling story @galtions !). After all, technology should serve us, not the other way around.

@kirkmahoneyphd as for AI taking over software-development jobs, I think it’s a possibility. But I also believe that it could open up new opportunities and roles that we can’t even conceive of yet. I saw a meme recently saying that “AI will not take your job, someone using AI will”.

I choose to stay optimistic about the future. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I agree - Along with this comes the question of moral programming of AI. Do the people creating / programming the AI share the morals and values of the user? They may well be programming hidden processes that do things the user doesn’t know about.

If this occurs it could provide an opportunity for some software developers to evolve - what might they evolve into?

2 Likes

Nothing! I think the internet was totally one-of-a-kind. Other things will try, but nothing will ever be as impactful as the internet in our lifetime, surely! Haha.

2 Likes

@grilledcheesebb I’ll agree with you about the fact that INTERNET was a gamechanger & the shift it ushered in was MONUMENTAL The truth is, AI (especially generative AI) wouldn’t be possible without the INTERNET.
However, I think the next big thing is around the corner. If you look at game-changing technologies developed in the past 100 years, every decade or so something emerges that upends everything.

2 Likes

I think quantum computers may be just that :wink:
Imagine a computer that can process information on such a scale, that it will make super computers seem like your working from a pen drive on Windows XP.
Or… maybe it will be a combination of these things: AI, Virtual Reality and Quantum Computers.

1 Like

BTW I found the notion of “Singularity” captivating (but perhaps you’ve already heard of it).
Here’s an article about it – bear in mind it was published like a month ago, so it’s basically from the Dark Ages by now.

CC: @kirkmahoneyphd @grilledcheesebb @adamgwarek @urszula @jamierobles @galtions

1 Like

I have heard about the concept of “Singularity” yes. I believe it’s scheduled to be somewhere in the early 2030’s, not that far from now.

1 Like

The idea, that one day, AI will become capable of improving itself without human assistance, leading to an exponential growth in its intelligence and capabilities is rather scary.

It seems humanity is safe (for now). :nerd_face:

2 Likes

@alexander YAY!!! I knew it. You know, every time I tried it, I got some nonsensical response.
I hope people’s fascination with with this just goes away LOL

2 Likes

I wonder what would be the value of such a computer? What are they intended to be used for?

I agree… but it’s a very entertaining subject for Hollywood movies!

I hope the next biggest thing since the internet is a technological something which is helpful and healthful for sensitive people and so called ‘neurodivergent’ people, but also healthful for our nature, animal and insect and especially our eight-legged spidey friends. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m not sure yet; we don’t know what we don’t know. I’m sure that it will find both positive and negative uses. In the sense that it will definitely be used to help people (perhaps in medicine somehow?) and in some ways may not be as beneficial; that is why we have to learn to interact consciously with technology. I believe it will be like a tool that people will use, for better or for worse; it’s up to us to decide.

The same goes for AI. There were a lot of “ifs” (if we should go down that road); however, you can’t stop everyone in the world from attempting to do so. I’m sure sooner or later there would be some individual who would see it as an opportunity and pursue the development of AI. I’m not saying I’m backing the development of AI; I just think that it was something that was bound to happen.

Also, when it comes to sensitive people, I believe that nothing is more soothing than nature. I’ve had the opportunity to live out in nature for extended periods of time, and there is nothing like that sense of peace and quiet that you get. The sleep is amazing too. I believe that sensitive need more time in nature to feel good :slight_smile:

Have a look at this article from Yale University:

1 Like