We need your help designing our new phone!

@andrzej & @mnrkr74

Stay tuned :slight_smile: That’s all I can say for now :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So there are plans to build a new phone!!!?

1 Like

@theauditor YUP :slight_smile:
Are you excited?

1 Like

That’s great! I am very much so. I would love for the new phone to allow to be used as a hotspot. Are you able to reveal any info?

3 Likes

@theauditor Right now, I’ll just have to ask you to be patient :slight_smile: We’ll be revealing more info in the New Year :slight_smile:

1 Like

I vote for a removable battery in the next cellphone from Mudita (just as there is one in the Pure).

I have been experimenting with a Google Pixel 4a – which I initially de-Googled with LineageOS and now have running CalyxOS – for about a year. One of the 4a’s annoying “features” is that its battery is NOT removable. The battery, which I still can charge to 100%, has started to swell. This has distorted the back of the 4a, which means that the 4a no longer lies flat on a table or desk – QUITE annoying! If I could have easily removed and replaced the 4a’s battery, then I would have avoided this annoying distortion, which keeps becoming worse.

4 Likes

I vote for a backlight that includes the option of no light in the blue portion of the spectrum – for anyone who wants to use it in the evening with minimal disruption to the user’s circadian rhythm.

4 Likes

In response to your very usefull writing, I may add some practical experiences.
Splitting the direct contact to indirect contact might make clearer the user’s choice.
The most basic is IMO the direct voice call (telephone) excluding even voice mail or SMS. The hardware could be small but with a long battery standby, 1-2 weeks would be ideal. Now using a seniorphone as a primary, the benefit of calm and undisturbed work is evident. I noticed a constant creep in apps usage on the smartphone, it is just very addictive. Now the score is 95% dumb and only on my demand the smartphone if there is no other choice. It is heaven…
No more demanding low level messages ( call me directly, speak to me instead sending me things I feel I should reply.)
The new Mudita phone could be with, 4G Volte, small, eink full screen long battery, maybe in the shape of a square pebble which fits in any small pocket.
May this might reduce the price to about half the current one.
Being this simple is separating functions.
It’s like your transport, do not use your car indoor just use your feet.
Thanks for your great ideas,

4 Likes

Hi, my basic preferences for my ideal mobile are (in this order): (1) low radiation; (2) e-ink screen; (3) physical keyboard adapted for writing easily, at least in any Romance language (not only English), in my case for texting in Catalan; (4) removable battery and good battery life; (5) Simple and upgraded OS, no Android; and if possible (6) GPS navigation.

I have found some of these preferences in a new phone (for now only is a project) named Minimal, just announced some days ago by The Minimal Company startup. I think is a good approach for an e-ink phone, although it will run in a derivative Android. On the other hand, I suppose its radiation levels are not known for now.

4 Likes

@lmb Welcome to the Mudita Community :slight_smile:

That’s a nice list, Are any of those ‘must haves’ ? :slight_smile: Or more along the lines of ‘nice to have’?

2 Likes

Also agree on QWERTY usability. Its now rare, but significant difference.

4 Likes

As with anything, there’s pros and cons to physical keyboards. @urszula is their no. 1 fan, so you have the pros. :smiley:
I do not miss the tiny screen though, or wondering what sorts of dirt found their way between the keys. A touchscreen is easier to keep clean and gives more of a minimalist feeling – my private opinion.

3 Likes

My sentiments exactly.

4 Likes

I must say that the mock ups for that Minimal phone is exactly the form factor that I’ve longed for. It looks like an e-ink version of the Blackberry Passport with a #s row.

3 Likes

@aleksander The dirt between the keys can be a issue. The keys on my Blackberry do get stuck sometimes & YES, they do become less responsive and I do have to press harder to write anything.

2 Likes

I used to crave a keyboard again but I prefer clean and minimal looks now.

3 Likes

One problem that I have had with convincing others to try a de-Googled (Google-apps-free / AOSP-based) cellphone is their dependence on Google Maps for navigation.

I found “HERE WeGo” listed here as a Google Maps alternative. I installed HERE WeGo on a de-Googled Google Pixel 4a (running CalyxOS in particular) and am quite impressed by its functionality.

If the next Mudita cellphone is based on AOSP and E Ink, then it would be interesting to see whether HERE WeGo would work well on it.

4 Likes

You should also try organic maps. It is my main maps app.

4 Likes

Thank you! I installed Organic Maps on my de-Googled Pixel 4a a few weeks ago and found that it DID NOT recognize a relative’s street address in my city, whereas Google Maps, my Garmin device, and the implementation of Here on the Sunbeam Wireless F1 Orchid all DO recognize that street address. (The same is true for my own street address.)

The best that Organics Maps could do for me was to point me toward the relative’s street, which not good enough.

In contrast, I can enter the street address for a nearby restaurant, and Organic Maps DOES recognize it.

My impression is that Organic Maps relies on crowd-sourcing for its street-number data, which can be hit-or-miss, depending on to where one wants to navigate. Thanks again, @roberto!

3 Likes

It is interesting to observe the differences in accuracy between countries and places. Here in Denmark, I found it to be much more reliable than Apple and Google Maps.

I used HERE on my ‘old’ Lumia, which was one of the best phones I’ve ever had, and it was a missed opportunity for Microsoft. I always thought that HERE and Microsoft were working together.

4 Likes