We need your help designing our new phone!

One thing that many people on this forum have highlighted with the current Pure, is the issue with signal strength and connectivity to the mobile phone network.

As we all know, the current Pure has a low SAR antenna. This is great if you want to limit your exposure to the electromagnetic radiation emitted by the phone when it is communicating with the mobile network. However, the problem is that when you are using the Pure in an area where mobile network coverage is poor the Pure will fail to connect to the mobile network.

What I would like to see in a future version of the Pure, and I’m not sure if this is possible, is a setting to have the phone switch between a low SAR mode and a standard SAR mode.

So, if you are a person who is concerned about exposure to electromagnetic radiation then you can use the phone in low SAR mode. If you are a person who does not care about exposure to electromagnetic radiation then you can use the phone in standard SAR mode. Also, if you are using the phone in low SAR mode and you travel to an area with poor mobile network coverage you can just switch the phone to standard SAR mode.

I think that a function such as this would satisfy both users who prioritise low SAR over mobile network connectivity and users who prioritise mobile network connectivity over low SAR.

I’m not sure if this feature could be implemented. I’m not an electronics engineer, but could a future version of the phone have two antennas, a low SAR antenna and a standard SAR antenna? There could be an option within the Settings menu on the phone to switch between using the low SAR antenna or the standard SAR antenna.

8 Likes

I am glad that all three concepts for Mudita’s next cellphone use E Ink.

I discovered Mudita.com through a Web search for E Ink cellphones, as “readable in bright sunlight” was my original motivation for replacing my Android cellphone.

Because of the Pure, I subsequently became interested in privacy features, and I started looking not only at the readable-in-bright-sunlight models from Punkt. and Light but also at non-readable-in-bright-sunlight cellphones, such as the Ghost Phone as well as privacy-oriented phones from Rob Braxman.

I also started to learn how to de-google an Android phone on one’s own. Yes, a de-googled Android phone can be quite private, but there is a temptation with such a phone to add excessive or distracting or addictive apps from the equivalent of the Google Play store.

I discovered yesterday the Hisense A5 E Ink smartphone, but it uses Android 9, and one of the most popular de-googling operating systems – LineageOS – does NOT support de-googling Hisense products. Plus, even if one could de-google the A5, I would not trust it for privacy, given that the Chinese Communist Party effectively owns Hisense.

All of this is to say that I am cheering for Mudita to release its next E Ink cellphone with better 4G/LTE network connectivity and a continued focus on privacy and freedom from distractions. Meanwhile, I’ll make do with my Sunbeam Wireless F1 Orchid, in spite of its tiny, non-readable-in-bright-sunlight screen but because of its focus on privacy and freedom from distractions as well as its ability to handle MMS messages and its superb speech-to-text feature.

9 Likes

Yup agreed this is the biggest issue with this phone. Low sar should not take priority over the phone being able to connect and do basic things. This was the biggest mistake they made in designing this phone. Low sar is not that important to the majority of people.

3 Likes

Great phone the sunbeam. Owned it before, but flip phones are not my thing. But that device is superb. Especially the voice to text

4 Likes

Yes. I completely agree on the topic of using E Ink screens. I much prefer these to LCD screens.

5 Likes

Punkt. may eventually launch something similar to the Mudita Type, per this article:

4 Likes

They won’t. They need Aphy OS (Degoogled Android) to take off and sell their regular fullscreen phone first. The QWERTY keyboard phone won’t come unless their OS succeeds.

3 Likes

OMG! I’m definitely a BB fan!

3 Likes

@Jose_Briones Can you elaborate on this?

2 Likes

Wow that looks really nice

4 Likes

They are going to provide a AOSP competitor (Aphy OS). Unless there is wide adoption of their OS over say Graphene OS or Calyx OS, they won’t have the funds to create the QWERTY keyboard phone. Their full touchscreen phone has to succeed in order to make it happen.

4 Likes

I was really looking forward to using the music player. In the promo for the Mudita phone, there was a mention of the quality of the Harmon Kardon Speakers and how important the quality of the speakers were. When I played music back in my car, I cranked it to the max volume and the volume is really weak. The quality is not good from the speakers. This is something that should have been tested before releasing the phone. Importing contacts is a head scratcher. I can manually update them on my phone though.

3 Likes

@why Since the launch of the phone, we’ve done some software upgrades to improve the audio, however, due to the fact that it is such a minimalistic device, a crisp, digital sound, which you’re probably accustomed to, will not be able to be achieved in this version of Mudita Pure. We’ve been quite transparent about this difficulty and we discussed the improvements which could be made & the limitations we were facing. During this time we also shared some videos of our progress. Mudita Pure Videos - #72 by urszula
Can you check out the videos & see if your phone is similar to what you’re hearing or do you see a difference in what we are experiencing.

2 Likes

I played back the audio via my Bluetooth Speaker and there was a lot more headroom then the volume from the 3.5mm jack. It’s really weak from the headphone jack. But I did want to get away from using Bluetooth. Just to be sure, I am using a stereo 3.5mm male jack [2 stripes] to plug into the mudita when listening via the headphone jack? The speakers quality is not good. I was disappointed in this as the promo from Mudita was talking about the high quality standards of the Harmon Kardon speakers. I usually would test something like this out beforehand, so I relied on the info about it from Mudita. I guess the headphone output and bluetooth output have different levels going to their respective destinations. Having said all that, I want to make the best of what I have now. I am updated to 1.4 for the OS

4 Likes

@why Are you using Mudita headphones? Or are you using a different brand? I will ask our team if that may have something to do with it.

2 Likes

No Headphones. I am using my car speaker [through aux input of car stereo] or a portable Bluetooth speaker [with 3.5 mm input].

3 Likes

Thats why they are doing the survey people will tell them what they want and dont want me personally i want a mudita type device

2 Likes

I can second the observation of @why when using Bluetooth connection. Sound quality for music is for sure better with Bluetooth, also when using a wired connection.

The base level for volume differs when comparing wireless earbuds, Jabra Elite 75t with my car speakers when using Bluetooth. It is lower for the Jabra Elite 75t. I also tried a wired headset, Logitech G433 and it has more or less the same base level for the volume and sound quality as the wireless earbuds.

Quality was outstanding when Mudita Pure is connected to my car speakers using Bluetooth. It was like: “Aha, this is where the Harmon Kardon sound is hidden!”. The car is a VW Golf Sportsvan, 2017 with Dynaudio Sound system. I do not think it is just the Sound system which is helping here. Mudita Pure simply performs well in this context. I listen music via Bluetooth in my car using my smartphone and Mudita Pure is on par with that. Also, it makes no difference what SW Version was in use in this context. I have 1.5 now, but before with 1.2 it was the same sound quality for music.

2 Likes

Might this one-month-old phone be a competitor to a Mudita Type?

https://www.fxtec.com/pro1x

4 Likes

@kirkmahoneyphd This reminds me of the old school Motorola Backflip- I’m a sucker for a keyboard :slight_smile:

4 Likes