Violating user privacy in the name of safety & security

I watched or viewed something a month or two ago and had an immediate reaction to the AI-generated teeth: “They’re fake!”

2 Likes

@kirkmahoneyphd Teeth, hands & feet are a dead giveaway.
I’ve seen some decent AI-generated graphics, but Art is something that evokes an emotion. And knowing something was just created by clicking w few buttons, by someone who didn’t feel any emotional attachment to the art that they created, just doesn’t do it for me.

2 Likes

AI are just looks strange. The weirdness of it is so visible. I don’t get it why people don’t see it.

2 Likes

It’s interesting how quickly we become attuned to these little giveaways like hands, teeth etc. Gives hope that maybe future won’t be all deepfake pandemonium etc.
We will see where AI-generated art will go. Way back when people had similar arguments against print art (and still some people will say that linocut is no art as it is less “difficult” to do than woodcut). Then - against digital art. Not to mention Marcel Duchamp’s Fountain. It took him little effort to “make” but managed to rile up some emotions. :slight_smile:

In the end, it will probably become yet another form of art.

I wonder about its use as a tool by painters, writers, who won’t create the final painting or text via AI, but rather get inspiration, ideas, maybe early sketches.

BY THE WAY, I highly recommend South Park episode about Chat GPT. It’s hilarious.

3 Likes
2 Likes

@kirkmahoneyphd I’m not a fan of these “self-help therapy apps.” A lot of mental health issues are caused by our constant screen time, especially in young children. Thinking MORE screen time will help solve your issues doesn’t really make sense to me.

3 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes

Interesting! What are your thoughts on this?
I’m getting Orwell’s 1984 vibes…
but the robot looks really cute though. :see_no_evil:

1 Like

This situation parallels how censorship will inevitably assert its dominance under the guise of “combatting misinformation.”

2 Likes

I would reference a quote by Benjamin Franklin:

“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”

Just as Roberto mentioned in his post on August 21st, companies and governments often choose to push the boundaries of user privacy under the guise of safety or a moral narrative.

We, the people (pun intended), often go along with these changes without regard to the fact that our liberties are being stripped bit by bit (in the name of said safety). After all, if small changes are implemented over a long period of time, they will almost go unnoticed, right?

What will these changes bring in the future? It may be difficult or too early to tell, but looking to China as an example, a dystopian society may not be as far-reaching as we may imagine. I’ve already heard rumors of China looking to implement a point reward and penalty system, whereby “good citizens” are rewarded and “bad citizens” punished.

On top of this, we need to remember that China is exploring the implementation of a Central Backed Digital Currency, which will give the government practically complete control over its citizens’ finances.

Is this really the kind of control we want (still in the name of safety, right)?

4 Likes

That already exists, @adamgwarek . I posted a video about this nearly two years ago.

https://engaging.com/2021/06/30/what-could-possibly-go-wrong-with-a-credit-score-system-monopolized-by-a-communist-government/

4 Likes

Wow, scary to think what will happen if China becomes the new leading World power…

2 Likes
1 Like

The commission said data masking and encryption technologies have been applied to protect the user’s information.

Really? :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

@roberto I saw this on the news over the weekend. CRAZY.
I looked up the details on it & came across this Asian news outlet which describes it in a positive light.

https://asianews.network/beijing-introduces-palm-print-access-on-subway-line/

1 Like
2 Likes

@kirkmahoneyphd
That’s it.
I’m never leaving my house. This is scary.

2 Likes

Amazon hit with a $25 million fine for violating child privacy with Alexa voice assistant.

In another article, I read that Amazon used the voices of kids to train their AI. Yikes.

1 Like
2 Likes