Violating user privacy in the name of safety & security

I don’t know about other countries, but I remembered that my car insurance in Denmark gives you a considerable discount if you use their GPS tracker, so they control your speed and other (hidden) data.

1 Like

@kirkmahoneyphd I’ve heard about this too. It’s definitely an overreach, in my opinion. I think many are lured in by the supposed “discount” on premiums, but like I always keep saying, “If you’re not paying for the service, YOU ARE the service.”
Many people don’t even realize that by getting a cheaper price on some tech products, the tech company is subsidizing that with user data, by collecting and analyzing user data and then selling it to third-party companies for various purposes, such as advertising and market research.

1 Like

@kirkmahoneyphd Although this article is from 2020, I think it signals of things to come:

2 Likes
3 Likes

@roberto What could possibly go wrong? (sarcasm)

2 Likes

Maybe this could be used as the basis for a new South Park episode?

2 Likes

@user1 That’s a brilliant idea!

2 Likes

@roberto OH…YIKES, not good

I didn’t think this proposal would survive… But it’s still alive and kicking… AND october 2023 is only 6 months from now when the voting is supposed to happen.

1 Like

@John_Andersson: An infographic in that article shows that some 28% of people polled were NOT against this? Wow.

1 Like

I’m not surprised. I know some people which fall into that 28%. Their reasons behind are varied, but one of my acquaintances told me that he doesn’t mind all the tracking which comes from Big Tech. According to him, if you’ve got nothing to hide, you shouldn’t be worried.
At first, I thought it was because he may not fully understand how his personal data is being collected, analyzed, and used by Big Tech companies. Without a clear understanding of the potential risks and implications, people may not see the need to be concerned. However, during our conversation, he just said he does know, but convenience wins out. He basically said that the idea of being tracked does not seem like a big deal & it’s not a priority in his daily life.

You should have seen the look on my face O_o

1 Like
1 Like
2 Likes
2 Likes

For what it’s worth, this news should not apply to Google Pixel cellphones for which the Google Android OS has been replaced with a Google-apps-free Android OS such as LineageOS.

2 Likes
1 Like

@roberto At first glance, I knew this picture was 100% AI-generated. I don’t know how it managed to fool a jury. AI still has a problem generating realistic-looking images of hands. That’s how you know. They are ALWAYS off somehow

2 Likes

@roberto
Hands & teeth seem to be a problem for AI

2 Likes

Artists have told me that THEY have the most trouble with depicting hands.

What was off for ME in that picture was the woman in the rear; she looks artificial to me.

2 Likes