Trying Out The Pure

@corgan I never said they weren’t :smiley:
Just not really my style.

1 Like

Q10 nice! I am a blackberry person moving over to the dumb phone space. Best decision I ever made and now I am so tempted to get the Mudita…love the black version so elegant

2 Likes

That’s what I have the blue punkt. Wish I had the black but I got this blue one for 275 canadian. It was from someone that had got the phone as a gift from punkt but did not use dumbphones so I scooped it up. But the mudita is what I originally wanted too bad it was delayed so much.

4 Likes

So, I got over to my carrier’s store (which didn’t end up being necessary) and got my Pure up and running. It took calls and made texts, but there were a few things missing. The first thing I noticed was a bunch of the apps like the music player are missing. Not a huge deal, but still disappointing. They should probably make the current state of the OS a little more clear. And the ringtones…lol… I realize it’s made by a very zen group of people, but there are chill sounds that aren’t gongs and waterfalls… I’m just not going to set my phone ringtone to the sound of a summer lark.

There were two major assumptions I made though: one is that the keyboard would have T9 texting. When I found a response from the team on why it didn’t have that, the gist of the reason was “we don’t want to make it too easy to text bc you shouldn’t be using your phone, but the OS is FOSS, so you can submit a PR if the community wants to see that feature.” To which I’m like “Sure, let me just learn C real fast.” If it was written in Rust, I’d take a crack at it, but C is just too much for any consumer without a vested financial interest to learn. The second was that when they say you can use the phone as a modem by tethering, they mean only to a laptop. They have not written the drivers to integrate with iOS or Android phones. Which… is mostly how my backup plan for “but what if I’m lost and need directions!” was going to pan out. I could keep the smartphone in the glovebox and only hook it up to the Pure if I really needed to be bailed out.

Then it came to things that should have worked but just didn’t… I started getting texts from a number like ‘111110000’ or something with gibberish boxes with squares in them. Typical computer speak for “I don’t know what to do with this” or “I’m trying to show you a picture but I don’t know how.” But it didn’t seem to be from one person. Through some deductive reasoning, I figured out that any text including an image or emoji would end up in that dead zone text, leaving the rest of my texts a bizarre patchwork of continuity holes.

I went to their github page to see what version they were on and it was kind of hard to follow, but I figured they were on version 1.5.X but the “up to date” version my phone insisted was “latest” was 1.1.X…

I think it’s got a lot of opportunity for success, but if they’d spent as much time on the software as they did the hardware—based on backer updates for the past four years—it’d be usable out of the box. It’s just not there yet. If it can’t reliably handle talk and text (with T9, I’m trying out a dumbphone, not a landline…), I can’t use it on a daily basis.

Edit: I’m not getting rid of the thing. All my issues are software-related, so it’s not like they can’t be fixed. I might try out the Light Phone if I feel like dropping another $300.

3 Likes

I’ve had my Pure for about 4 months and yes the updates have improved the device, and generally, I like the device, but the random freezing is a pain. Hopefully that can be fixed soon,

1 Like

@parmin Our tech team has informed me that they are working on this & it should be addressed in the next update. However, in the meantime, when your Mudita Pure freezes, you can press the right-hand function button quickly, twice, like a mouse click. This should unfreeze the phone.
20220707_094827_1

2 Likes

I´m interested in if someone has tried the Pure with Lycamobile. I don´t use my phone much, and Lycamobile is the only carrier that has a super inexpensive plan, if you prepay 12 months you get 1Gb data (not needed for me) 5hrs talk, 300 sms/month for 36€. We are talkning 3€/month. Hard to beat.

3 Likes