The Terrible Costs of a Phone-Based Childhood

I just finished reading a very interesting article from The Atlantic:

The guy who wrote it is Jonathan Haidt and he’s a social psychologist .This article discusses the negative impact of smartphones and social media on the development and mental health of Generation Z. It also points out that the youngest generations, compared to previous ones, are experiencing higher levels of mental health issues, reduced social skills, and a decline in independence and risk-taking. The author attributes these changes to the shift in childhood experiences caused by digital technology, which has replaced physical, outdoor, and social activities with a sedentary, solitary, and virtual lifestyle.

FULL DISCLOSURE- I’m not a parent, but I do spend time around children. I used to teach ESL classes in an elementary school several years back- so I would spend a lot of time dealing with kids, from kindergarten to 8th grade, and I did notice some of the things the author describes in this article.

It’s fairly a long read & it might be behind a paywall for you, so here is the audio version, which you can download & listen on your phone or Mudita Harmony.

What are your thoughts on the solutions proposed in the article, such as delaying smartphone use and creating phone-free schools? Do you think these are feasible and effective measures, and how might they be implemented?

Additionally, considering the current trends in technology use among young people, what predictions can you make about the future impact on society? Are there any positive outcomes that could emerge from this situation?

3 Likes

This sums it all up imo
( instagram link👇🏻 )

1 Like

My children go to a phone-free school, smartwatches also not allowed. No computers or internet use at school till the end of 8th grade. All the homework is on paper, nothing that requires them to look online. So, it is possible… at least in smaller school settings where the families that choose this type of school is on board with delaying digital tech use.

My oldest is almost 13 and she does not ask for a smartphone. We do have an extra phone to use at home, which she uses to call friends and send the occasional text. We have discussions on why they do not need smartphones, and so far they still listen and agree with us (12 & 9yo).

Recently their school had a film screening ‘Screenagers’ to the school community, followed by a discussion. The consensus is to wait until after 8th grade to allow kids smartphones so kids can be kids longer (https://www.waituntil8th.org). I personally think even that seems too soon…but I will find out what challenges lie ahead when my child becomes a teen.

5 Likes

Interesting concept. Although, I did grow up this way ( remember writing a paper in 8th grade on a typewriter LOL) I would be concerned that in this day & age a child could fall behind and struggle when they enter high school after 8th grade.

How do students plan for that type of leap from no tech to being surrounded by tech?

2 Likes

I am not sure how the school plans to leap from no tech to tech, but I do not feel concerned about it. She may go to a mainstream high school where the kids have been using computers for years. Kids learn and catch up very quickly. I may be too idealistic/optimistic but I feel strongly about protecting their childhoods.

In the school environments these days it seems to be all or nothing. I have a 6th grade step-child attending a school where most of the work is online. so can closely observe different scenarios. She’s been using computers since the early grades and is more tech-savvy yet I am not sure I am seeing any advantage academically at this point. What I do know is the schools do a poor job regulating what the kids can access on their computers, and it becomes up to the parents to police the computer use, which creates extra work/stress for the parents.

3 Likes