The future of connectivity

While doing some research for an upcoming blog, I came upon an OLD (2017) article from the Guardian, as well as a 2017 report from the Pew Research Center. Both of these pieces are around 6 years old, which in tech time in practically an eternity LOL.
When it comes to being tethered to technology, sometimes I have this feeling that we have come to a point of no return. We can’t turn back time & go back to a simpler way of life, where technology is concerned. I also have this nagging thoughts: how did we get here, how did we let it get this far? I’m reading about things like “tiktok brain” and it just gives me such anxiety about the future of humanity.
Couldn’t we see it coming & start doing anything about it?
However, while reading the report & article, as well as others, I noticed that people were sounding the alarm as early 2012, but I’m afraid the majority of the population ignored the warnings, and now we are where we are.
My questions to you guys are:

• When did you start your journey with mindful tech & begin using technology in a more internationally manner?
  • What were the first signs you noticed of privacy violations by big tech?
  • Where do you think we will be in 5 years? 10 years?
  • Will the mindful tech movement be more or less relevant than it is to day?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts :slight_smile:

^ I appended my answers to the bulleted items. Thanks for asking!

1 Like
  1. Good question. Not sure to be honest. Perhaps around 2016-17.
  2. When I realized Google Maps had created a timeline and recorded my every step.
  3. 5 years - Debating what kind of society we really want. 10 years - Still debating.
  4. More relevant. The discussions will shift towards new research in neuroscience and how overusage/dependancy on technology. is related to mental health and lack of meaning.
2 Likes

These are the factors that scare me the most. We are adults. Many of us grew up without a screen in our faces. However, now I keep reading about “tiktok brain” and how people are lonelier than ever before. I even wrote about the loneliness epidemic in a recent blog.

2 Likes