Tethering to Raspberry

Hey! I have a technical question. My whole developer environment runs in the cloud and I use Raspberry Pi as a terminal, to connect there over the vnc. Do I need for internet tethering your Linux app? As Raspberry is ARM architecture, I am not sure if you plan to support the binaries (The sources are probably not available). I work this way for years already and it would be awesome if the tethering works and I can focus on important things. Thanks!

2 Likes

Basically the same ARM build would apply also for all Android tablets that don’t have 3g module built-in :wink:

1 Like

Hi Karol,

Thank you for your question!

I need to confirm that. In theory, you can use the phone as an external modem even without Mudita Desktop App. Please check if your platform has the proper drivers for the modem we use: https://www.quectel.com/UploadFile/Product/Quectel_EG25-G_LTE_Specification_V1.1.pdf

Our Desktop App is built using Electron, I see there were some attempts to build Electron apps on Windows @ ARM, but we didn’t test it ourselves: https://www.electronjs.org/docs/tutorial/windows-arm

There’s no decision about the availability of the source (yet).

Does your Raspberry support Bluetooth? It’s slower (in some initial tests we could get around 1Mbps) but can work as an alternative.

I hope I at least pointed you in the right direction :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Lukasz

2 Likes

Thank you Lukasz.

I have reviewed the technical specs and available drivers on the manufacturer website and looks like Linux and Android drivers are supported. When I get my phone delivery from you I will test:

1- tethering to raspberry pi over USB
2- tethering to android tablet over USB

and provide some instructions.

Cheers,
Karol

3 Likes

Hi again,

thank you for a quick response!

Our developers pointed me to a specific GPL’ed driver that you can take a look at:

➜  ~ modinfo qmi_wwan

filename: /lib/modules/4.19.133-1-MANJARO/kernel/drivers/net/usb/qmi_wwan.ko.xz
license: GPL
description: Qualcomm MSM Interface (QMI) WWAN driver

I hope that helps!

Have a good one!
Lukasz

4 Likes