Social Media, Aesthetics and Over-Consumerism

October is right around the corner. Soon it will be November, with its BLACK FRIDAY deals , followed by the HOLIDAY SHOPPING SEASON.

So let’s talk about the concept of how consumption choices play a role in shaping our identity and perception of ourselves. Specifically, how Social Media fuels these consumer choices.

Recently, after reading an article in VOGUE, I got to thinking about how how these aesthetic-driven subcultures we see on social media may be promoting over-consumption and shaping identities around purchasing trends.

The article explored the rise, nature, and implications of aesthetic subcultures on social media, particularly with regard to identity formation and consumer behavior, but I don’t think it went far enough. Yes I know it’s VOGUE, they need to sell products, they have advertisers etc. However, the article, generally, got me thinking about where the need to acquire things comes from.

Of course, there are significant financial implications of following every new trend. Additionally, with every aesthetic change, products end up in landfills, leading to environmental problems.

Personally, I think true expression comes from creating, not consuming. The emphasis should be on non-material ways of self-expression like behavior, actions, and personal creation rather than solely on products. However, some people might not agree with me.

My questions to you guys are:

1. Do you guys think people often use products as a crutch to answer deep existential questions and establish their identity? In what ways?
  2. Is the obsession with aesthetic subcultures on social media a smaller representation of societal pressures to conform and fit into specific molds.
  3. How do you think Mudita is different? Or how is it similar to this phenomenon?

I look forward to reading your responses.

1 Like

Totally agree with you.

I completely agree with the idea that true self-expression comes from creating rather than just consuming. It’s important to find ways to express ourselves beyond material possessions, like through our actions and personal creations. However, I also think it’s worth considering different perspectives. Some people might find comfort or a sense of identity in the products they own, and that’s okay too. As for the obsession with aesthetic subcultures, it’s possible that it stems from societal pressures to conform to certain standards or trends. But at the same time, it can also be a way for individuals to explore and express their unique sense of style and creativity.

1 Like

Yes, I definitely think people use products to establish their identity and answer deep existential questions. I am not different as I do catch myself looking to purchase items instead of figuring out ways to create/solve instead of consuming. I feel that society/pressure just makes it so difficult and given the exhaustion of life, it is very hard to buck the trend. Social media accelerates this because everyone shares what everyone is doing in real time. We can see what everyone is wearing/using immediately on social media, and acquire these things almost instantly on amazon, whereas in the past you wouldn’t know until maybe a friend or two has shared, and it is a lot more work to acquire items. The speed of information fuels consumerism.

I find it interesting when my children were homeschooled and we hardly went shopping, they still knew what the latest fads, movies and music were, just by interacting with their friends who either went to school or had access to social media, and it always surprised me how quickly these new products (toys and fashion in our case) were adopted.

I have recently picked up a book called Consuming Kids: The Hostile Takeover of Childhood by Susan Linn, about the effects marketing/advertising on children and the commercialization of childhood. Essentially society (schools and what not) are raising consumers, and marketing to children starts very young and also in the schools… this book was published almost 20 years ago and details marketing explosion in the schools in the 90s, so kids at that time are now parents, and along with social media… if you have been taught to be a consumer your whole life, how do you know any different?

As for the Mudita, what I think is similar-- hey, here is a product that aligns with my values, so I will purchase it. I did want to support a project that I believe is sorely needed at this time, so I bought new (I have previously always owned secondhand gadgets). Yet I think it’s great and feel encouraged that Mudita exists, and there is a community to discuss these issues with, because it does get lonely to be questioning all this sometimes.

3 Likes