Reviews of Mudita Pure

Yes. It’s the safest.

1 Like

I see some concerns re: sound quality. Can folks who have the phone speak on the audio quality with audiophile/good HEADPHONES? I’m not concerned at all about the speaker quality that I’ve seen here so far (based on my needs), but concerned whether the sound would be good with headphones/how it would affect music quality. Would love to hear about the quality of the sounds in headphones. Thanks!

1 Like

As far as I can tell the device is using a i.MX RT1051 Micro Controller Unit. The RT1051 has a MAX98090 audio codec built in.

Evidence: Build Targets, Recent commits for sound quality on loud speaker

Not sure how good the output will be but I am not expecting better than other devices I already have. I have ordered a Fiio M5 to play my large libary (80GB) of music on the go. It would be a nice surprise if the device had a reasonable DAC. I wouldn’t be expecting to power anything less efficient or large.

Interestingly the MCU has wifi built in as far as I can see. I am guessing as part of the design process Wifi was not populated/designed into the PCB to keep the SAR low? I haven’t been able to find any good images of the PCB to make any other guesses.

Edit: To add it looks like all the audio profiles are set to 16000hz sample rate including the headphone one. 44-48Khz is minimum for good audio quality.

Changes to fix the EQ/filters to set them to the sample rate in the loudspeaker profile should be applied across all the audio profiles likely.

3 Likes

Am i doing the math right?

This means the audio is set to be 3x lower than needed for high quality audio?

So, if I add a FLAC file, it won’t play at FLAC quality?

1 Like

If anything the audio profile sample rates just need to be adjusted. Not sure why they are all 16Khz right now. Could be there wasn’t profiles before and the profiles all got made together. Could be that whatever is consuming the profiles isn’t using the included sample rate.

Either way the device is capable of normal sample rates and this would be a configuration only problem. I’d have to look at it a lot more to be sure that the 16Khz rate is actually being used. I don’t have a phone on hand.

I just learned about this project last week else I may have joined up earlier :smile:

1 Like

I would encourage you not to pre-order anything in the future. Your post is not very engageable because you haven’t even articulated why you feel like the product will flop? As each product like this has it’s own operating system and design choices it’s probably hard to tell which has the best experience without trying them.

Though if you are at all into development I think this is your only choice with an open source operating system.

1 Like

Dear j0nnyblast,
I own the Light Phone 2, I used it as my daily phone for almost 6 months before I was no longer able to use it due to severe bugs in the software causing me to miss text messages. With a closed-source phone such as that, we are dependent on the whims of the product team to release software updates that meet our needs. The developers were aware of this from multiple users and you can find Reddit posts about it but it was deemed a “low priority” issue.

I am really confident with the MuditaOS that it’s open source will allow independent developers to contribute to the product, and I think the software foundation is much more stable and sustainable than LPII. I am not surprised to hear some issues in build quality, etc, of a new product but I think the long term capabilities and potential of this device is significantly greater than the Light Phone and that is why I have been following the Mudita project closely!

7 Likes

Alternatively, I have a Light Phone 2 for 2 years and never had issues. What carrier do you use? What’s the text message issue? Maybe I can be of assistance :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m sorry to insist. Some people must have receive their pure. Can you tell us if you’re happy with it ? Please !
Since we won’t have the pure before the end of january (My order is from the 4th of april 2021) or maybe later… That give us time to talk about how it works fine or not. I’m gonna say it very clearly : If there is no good feedback enough before the end mid-january, I’ll ask for a refound. That is not acceptable. It might be a great phone on the paper, we don’t have clear enough communication about it. It’s delay after delay. If the phone is not that good (and the delay was supposed to help the team to make the best phone possible), then it will be a bit of a failure. Now, it would be the time for good news.

1 Like

While I feel similarly, I just want to remind you that most people who have gotten their Mudita Pure are not necessarily tech reviewers or people who are active on the Forum. This is why we may not see people sharing their experiences.

That and the fact that there has been only a limited number of phones shipped (about 70 is my estimate based on what they have shared). I hope to get mine in January so I can give it full coverage but until then patience is the only thing we need to have.

4 Likes

Hello urszula,
I understand your rationale for choosing to support initial backers first. Perhaps Mudita will consider a different strategy for future product launches.
However, this isn’t stopping you from releasing an in depth breakdown video of the Pure on your YouTube channel. While this would not take the place of an unbiased user review it would be a great start.
In my opinion, honesty and transparency are invaluable to this phone’s success. I am not expecting perfection from this device and think that’s a good thing. There will be ample opportunity to improve upon a great concept but people will not offer their support without trust. Like many others, I have been convinced of the demand for this product and support the ethos of this company. I hope that you continue to listen to your supporters and don’t sacrifice transparency out of a desire to conceal bad news.

2 Likes

They could put out some sort of summary of all the bits and pieces they have released in their many development updates. I read through most of them in reverse chronological order. Surely they could also put out some more UI demonstration videos.

Despite anything else it makes sense to be focusing on getting out the long delayed phones to the people who backed the project so long ago.

One has to correctly set their expectations when they pre-order something that is an ongoing project and temper their expectations further during Covid.

2 Likes

I agree.
Initial backers should always get first orders, then preorder customers.

Secondly, it’s a new product. Every new product has teething issues, unexpected QA findings and that’s normal. A good company will address any new discoveries as soon as possible.

Thirdly, it’s Christmas. I don’t know if the developers celebrate it or not, but Poland certainly does and I hope they are having a good holiday like most people should.

Fourthly, covid has spanked the global supply chain in all sorts of unfortunate ways. Delays in shipping, manufacturing, freight to customers, postal delivery drivers are under the pump, flights are cancelled, people in the industry are in isolation, and so on.

None of this is to say that people aren’t entitled to expect honest, timely information to reasonable requests. But it’s also reasonable to assume that timely responses, deliveries and reviews might not be possible just at this moment.

4 Likes

@parawizard I have to agree with you. Each product has a unique operating system & UI, which in turn, creates a completely different user experience. When I first started using Mudita Pure (a prototype- not even a fully functioning one) about a year and a half ago- I have to admit it was not very intuitive to use. My primary phone is a BlackBerry Q10, which also has a physical keyboard- but it also have very specific gestures it uses to move between screens. I’ve had this BBQ10 for about 9 years & for me, smartphones feel weird. The Mudita Pure took some getting used to, but now, it’s like second nature. When, I look at phones like the the Punkt, for example, because in my mind, I’m all about Mudita Pure & my BlackBerry- just by looking at it, I think it would be hard to use- but that’s because I’ve never even held that phone in my hand. Many happy Punkt users would probably tell me it’s the easiest phone to use :smiley:

I love this! Thanks for this @sandra

@aoicow Welcome to the Mudita Community. We actually posted a 12min video on this forum, back in November, right after the final NPI- It’s not very fancy, but you can take a look at all functions & set-up:

2 Likes

@anon51628811 @Jose_Briones is right. About 100 people have Mudita Pure phones & many of them are unfortunately not on this forum & are not heavy social media users. (Some not at all) We are actually planning to contact each user individually to ask for feedback & also invite them to this forum to share their experiences. I think now is the best time because the number of Mudita Pure phones out there is still manageable for us to gather personalized, individual feedback. Once we get in to the 100s-1000s, it might get to be too much.

Thanks for the review it is really helpful

1 Like

I hear you about the covid period, about the fact that it is the first phone of the compagny (which had the time to get three other products on the maket), but there is at least a lake of communication. 100 phones ! In one month ! We are so far from what had been said ! I completly agree that the first backers must have their phones first. But I remember that they are about 900… I’m in the pre-ordered group… That means when ? When will we have the communication about the batches ? I can understand a lot of things as lon as it is said clearly and honestly.

2 Likes

@urszula I agree. I am starting to really worry that this phone will not be delivered for a number of months more. I may need to simply cancel my order and buy some other phone, if that is the case.

3 Likes