Reviews of Mudita Pure

I also plan to review Mudita Pure.

3 Likes

@lessismore & @parmin we can’t wait to hear your feedback! :smiley:

I’m really interested in the battery life.

1 Like

Is pure your primary phone? Did you come from a smartphone?
I know you work for Mudita and want to say positive things, but I’m honestly curious how you find Pure using it from day to day. You probably have more hands-on time with it than anyone! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Sam_Guzman Mudita Pure is my offline phone. So I guess, after work is over & on the weekends, I use my Mudita Pure. If that’s considered my primary phone- than yes.
I won’t lie, it took a looooooong time for me to get used to it. It really takes some intention on the part of the user. That’s why I kept writing about how this is something most people should prepare for. If you’re used to ALWAYS having a smartphone around, using it to navigate, take pix & pay for things (banking apps) -Mudita Pure will take a lot of getting used to, However, if you are already using a feature phone/dumb phone then Mudita Pure will be a breeze to use. You should check out the videos of our team members getting interviewed after using Mudita Pure (exclusively) for a week. All of us describe different experiences. One thing I can say for sure- (and this is my experience) - Being able to FULLY unplug every day after work is really transformative- from a well-being perspective. After work is done for the day, I only use my Mudita Pure.
Having said that, I know everyone’s experience can be different. For me personally, I have more free time, now that I use Mudita Pure.

1 Like

I’m afraid I personally would never get used to it in these modern days.

I really like the looks of the Pure and the idea behind it, but in these modern times it’s very hard to do without:

1. Whatsapp. I hate it, but most, if not everybody, of the people I communicate with are using it and will never use something else.
  2. Bank app and paying. It’s the future, no matter if you like it or not.
  3. GPS. It’s a safety feature. Driving with a paper map and looking for the route is absorbing to much of your attention. And the ability to locate you in case of an emergency is really useful.
  4. Authentication apps of all sorts. Passwords will be used less and less.
  5. Parking apps. No more waiting in line with coins to get a ticket. Being able to extend your parking time without having to walk to you car.
  6. ID / check apps. Think of the corona apps.
  7. Having documents with you when travelling. More and more documents are digital these times.
  8. The ability to take snapshot photo’s. It’s very inconvenient to carry a separate camera for in case you want to take a few photo’s.
  9. Etc …

Right now I’m managing to use my iPhone as less as possible (30-40 minutes screen time per day), mainly because I don’t use social networks.

What would be a great phone that will work in these modern days is one that has at least the essential features (like the ones I mentioned) and great battery life (at least a week). I don’t need a App Store to download games or social apps.

Therefore I won’t buy the current Pure phone, but I admire the idea.

1 Like

Hi Marc,

There’s some interesting points in your message.

I don’t know where you live, I live in Germany. We might be a little bit less futuristic about digitalism in our daily live than our country, but I thought it might be interesting to list how things are done here regarding the points you listed:

Whatsapp

I hate it as well, so I got rid of it. Anyone who does not want to write SMS or just give me a call can fallback to Telegram (which I’ll check when I’m using my laptop) or E-Mails.

Bank app / paying

Banking can be done on the laptop (where it’s more comfortable) and paying can easily be done with a regular NFC card.

GPS

Integrated in the car.

Authentication

Mudita Pure lacks Wifi and 4G for its own usage. So it does not need it for itself. If you need it for another device, just use Keepass there. If this is about MFA, you can get codes via SMS often times. In addition to that Mudita is Open Source. This allows for creating our own OTP token generation app. For other MFA apps, there’s keys like the Nitrokey or YubiKey which are safer than your mobile phone (cause they don’t run other stuff which might compromise it).

Parking lot

I don’t know how it works on your side, but in here we can often just send a SMS containing your license plate to a phone number belonging to the parking lot and the job is done.

ID / check apps

I paid 10€ for a “credit card” containing my vaccination QR code and can show it everywhere. Never had a problem with that + the battery can never be empty :slight_smile:

Documents

Laptop.

Photos

If there’s even the slightest chance of something happening that I would want to take a picture of, I take my camera with me. Quality is better than most of the phones.

So as always, everyone’s mileage may vary :slight_smile:
I’ve been rocking my dumb phone for two months straight now and I enjoy it a lot.
Just thought I’d show some different opinions or solutions to some of the points you mentioned.

Kind regards,
Florian

4 Likes

@digitalflow I can honestly say that at I have NEVER had a banking app installed on my phone. For me, it’s just not something that’s super useful. I’m with you on this- I do my banking on the laptop, when I’m connected to my home internet connection.

1 Like

@digitalflow, you’ll get a kick out of this story. A few weeks ago, a friend & I were going to an event that required a covid passport. I had my physical one & my friend had hers on her smartphone. It was super cold & we were out most of the day & guess what- my friend’s smartphone battery basically drained while we were standing in line to get checked. They did not let her in & we basically ended up having to go home.

2 Likes

You can use WhatsApp Beta, which allows you to use Whatsapp on your desktop without your smartphone turned on. If you are on the road, you can call/SMS. You just have to inform your friend, that if you don’t respond, you are likely not behind your desktop, , and they have to SMS/call, if it is urgent.

It does require connecting with your smartphone once every 2 weeks, which I find okay.

I switched from using a bank app, to a “Scanner”, which works on a desktop.

I switched to a TomTom works perfect, and requires no internet.

All of them have a SMS or desktop based alternative.

If really necessary, you can have your desktop with you in the car, and connect the mudita to it, for internet.

I asked for a paper based one, and downloaded that on my kobo e-reader, but you can also simply print it out.

I download those on my e-reader.

I won’t disagree, but I accept that trade off :smiley: It is not that much a problem. Maybe there will a mudita v2 with a camera one day.

1 Like

i’m afraid the real problem here has nothing to do with a smartphone dying…

4 Likes

@joel, I’m not sure what you mean.

1 Like

@marc67 For me, the battery is good for approx 8-9 days. However, I do have to add that at least once a day, I plug my phone into Mudita Center & obviously since it’s plugged in to my laptop, it charges a little each time.

1 Like

I am an early backer from 2020

3 Likes

and did you receive the pure ?

1 Like

8-9 days seems great.

Regarding you usage:

1. How long did you plug it in on average?
  2. What’s you daily usage / phone / screen time?

Does the Pure warn you when the battery gets low?

3 Likes

Probably not. I am backer since july 2020 and I do not have mine either. Nor do I have any info about receiving it.

2 Likes

I posted my review in a new post- My thoughts on Mudita Pure

1 Like

@marc67 I use the phone about 1-2 hours per day. This includes calls & texts, plus podcasts/audiobooks when I’m walking the dog. When I plug it in to use Mudita Center, it’s usually for around 5-10 min. It’s just to answer texts that need more long-form writing. It’s just quicker that way. Most people know to call me when they need me after 5pm :smiley:
There is a very subtle warning at the battery marker. Other than that, there is no warning. Come to think of it. This may be an idea for the devs.

1 Like

@parmin Thanks for your review. @lessismore we can’t wait to get your feedback.

2 Likes