Reviews of Mudita Pure

Hello urszula,
I understand your rationale for choosing to support initial backers first. Perhaps Mudita will consider a different strategy for future product launches.
However, this isn’t stopping you from releasing an in depth breakdown video of the Pure on your YouTube channel. While this would not take the place of an unbiased user review it would be a great start.
In my opinion, honesty and transparency are invaluable to this phone’s success. I am not expecting perfection from this device and think that’s a good thing. There will be ample opportunity to improve upon a great concept but people will not offer their support without trust. Like many others, I have been convinced of the demand for this product and support the ethos of this company. I hope that you continue to listen to your supporters and don’t sacrifice transparency out of a desire to conceal bad news.

2 Likes

They could put out some sort of summary of all the bits and pieces they have released in their many development updates. I read through most of them in reverse chronological order. Surely they could also put out some more UI demonstration videos.

Despite anything else it makes sense to be focusing on getting out the long delayed phones to the people who backed the project so long ago.

One has to correctly set their expectations when they pre-order something that is an ongoing project and temper their expectations further during Covid.

2 Likes

I agree.
Initial backers should always get first orders, then preorder customers.

Secondly, it’s a new product. Every new product has teething issues, unexpected QA findings and that’s normal. A good company will address any new discoveries as soon as possible.

Thirdly, it’s Christmas. I don’t know if the developers celebrate it or not, but Poland certainly does and I hope they are having a good holiday like most people should.

Fourthly, covid has spanked the global supply chain in all sorts of unfortunate ways. Delays in shipping, manufacturing, freight to customers, postal delivery drivers are under the pump, flights are cancelled, people in the industry are in isolation, and so on.

None of this is to say that people aren’t entitled to expect honest, timely information to reasonable requests. But it’s also reasonable to assume that timely responses, deliveries and reviews might not be possible just at this moment.

4 Likes

@parawizard I have to agree with you. Each product has a unique operating system & UI, which in turn, creates a completely different user experience. When I first started using Mudita Pure (a prototype- not even a fully functioning one) about a year and a half ago- I have to admit it was not very intuitive to use. My primary phone is a BlackBerry Q10, which also has a physical keyboard- but it also have very specific gestures it uses to move between screens. I’ve had this BBQ10 for about 9 years & for me, smartphones feel weird. The Mudita Pure took some getting used to, but now, it’s like second nature. When, I look at phones like the the Punkt, for example, because in my mind, I’m all about Mudita Pure & my BlackBerry- just by looking at it, I think it would be hard to use- but that’s because I’ve never even held that phone in my hand. Many happy Punkt users would probably tell me it’s the easiest phone to use :smiley:

I love this! Thanks for this @sandra

@aoicow Welcome to the Mudita Community. We actually posted a 12min video on this forum, back in November, right after the final NPI- It’s not very fancy, but you can take a look at all functions & set-up:

2 Likes

@anon51628811 @Jose_Briones is right. About 100 people have Mudita Pure phones & many of them are unfortunately not on this forum & are not heavy social media users. (Some not at all) We are actually planning to contact each user individually to ask for feedback & also invite them to this forum to share their experiences. I think now is the best time because the number of Mudita Pure phones out there is still manageable for us to gather personalized, individual feedback. Once we get in to the 100s-1000s, it might get to be too much.

Thanks for the review it is really helpful

1 Like

I hear you about the covid period, about the fact that it is the first phone of the compagny (which had the time to get three other products on the maket), but there is at least a lake of communication. 100 phones ! In one month ! We are so far from what had been said ! I completly agree that the first backers must have their phones first. But I remember that they are about 900… I’m in the pre-ordered group… That means when ? When will we have the communication about the batches ? I can understand a lot of things as lon as it is said clearly and honestly.

2 Likes

@urszula I agree. I am starting to really worry that this phone will not be delivered for a number of months more. I may need to simply cancel my order and buy some other phone, if that is the case.

3 Likes

Thanks for the link. I am obviously late to the party.

2 Likes

I preordered the phone in October hoping I would get it by January…
Don’t think that’ll be happening.
If there’s 900 backers and I think it was said they were dropping production down to 50 phones a month.
Well, you can do the math.

2 Likes

If it was easy to make a solid estimate on when all the phones would ship out surely they would be making one. Giving you a date isn’t getting you a phone any sooner. It is setting an expectation they are likely to break.

If someone needs a phone now they shouldn’t pre-order something that hasn’t been shipped before; is a wholly new manufacturing process and product. Posting about it isn’t going to make it ship any faster either. Not sure what contribution to the conversation posts like these are making?

4 Likes

You are right. Those comments won’t make the phones arrive quickly. But it is about how much one can wait. November is not like january, especialy when november was anounced, and it is definitly not like march or april… So the real question is : can we have a precise information so each one can decide if he has to ask for a refund or not. It is way more concret than just expressing unsatisfaction.

3 Likes

What I meant was that if they could give you a precise enough date they would have already. They can give you another optimistic or pessimistic estimate but unfortunately estimates are not a precise thing in general.

3 Likes

We totally understand everyone’s frustrations with the speed of the production. They are all valid concerns. However, the situation is a bit more complicated than just pumping out as many phones as possible & shipping them out at the fastest possible rate. There are plenty of posts on this forum about other mindful tech phones, where users expressed their opinions that first iteration of certain phones were hit or miss. Some were buggy, crashed often & some were even unusable. Others were, of course, perfectly fine. We knew all of this going into this project, that’s why wanted to do everything we could to not rush things & start off the production slowly.
Starting a production process slowly is known to produce more quality results and adds distinctive value to a product. We produced a few hundred phones the first weeks of production, however, not all of them met our strict requirements. We believe starting out slowly increases the quality of our product, giving it the uniqueness and excellence that we could be proud of.
It’s not easy to build quality hardware and software. Hardware is hard, and making mobile phone hardware from scratch is even harder. However, we can confidently say that we are working out tails off trying to make this happen as fast as possible. Despite covid & workforce shortages because people were out sick, supply chain issues & lockdowns, we kept working. During the holidays, when people usually take time to be with their families, we keep working, because we know this is important & we want to get this done right- the first time.
Above all, we want to make sure you get a good, quality-made product that will last for years. We want to avoid typical mass production issues, where we miss critical flaws which impact your user experience.
This is why we are being very careful with every step. We know it’s tough to wait, but we’ll get there.

12 Likes

I don’t know about everyone else, but personally I would rather wait & get a decent device than get a quickly produced phone- enough to placate all the customers and then if it’s a shitty device, which I hate using, have to deal with returns and getting a new phone.

4 Likes

These are all solid points, and much appreciated.

However, multiple people are asking you for an updated timeline, given the slowdown that has happened. We were originally told that our phones would arrive by February (if not sooner).

What should we expect now?

4 Likes

I think I was just a bit worried. I know It’s an open source and MuditaOS looks amazing trust me. Like I said, I’m just worried because I don’t have it in my hands yet

2 Likes

Having taken a gamble in October 2019 on Mudita as my first Kickstarter, I greatly appreciate this. I have been talking about this phone to anyone who will listen since, especially my likeminded friends and IT buddies. Even though it has been a while, the moment I get it and are able to show them it will be worth the wait. Even if it doesn’t knock it out of the park, although doubtful that will be the case, I will still be happy I was able to help, even a tiny bit (a drop in the bucket really). I sure couldn’t get something like this going! And well if it does knock it out of the park, I got some friends that will lining up for this!

4 Likes