Reflections on Minimalism

In our recent blog: Reflections on Minimalism-Expectations vs. Reality we discuss the misconceptions behind minimalism and what owning less is really all about.
What would happen if you owned less stuff? How would you/your life be different?

2 Likes

My favorite words in that article: intentional simplicity

eBay is my “intentional simplicity” partner now.

• I let go of what no longer sparks joy for me.
  • Auction winners get what sparks joy for them.
3 Likes

@kirkmahoneyphd I’ve been selling my clothes on eBay for years. If I wanted something “new” & it cost, let’s say, $50, I first would try & see if I can make that money selling my things on eBay. Since I am in Poland now, I use the eBay equivalent here: Allegro :slight_smile:

1 Like

A fantastic, well-written article!

I work with animal behavior, and I also see an increasing consumeristic philosophy that humans pass to the other species they have (dog, cats, mostly). So I’m wondering if the real goal of the pet industry is to sell products to fascinate humans because most of that gadgets don’t help the dog/cat in anything.

It is a bit worrying how teaching simplicity and clear communication, respecting the individualities of the other species, became a challenge these days.

2 Likes

@roberto Thank you!
That’s a very interesting statement on the animal behavior. I had no idea it went that far. However, my dog doesn’t need a Louis Vuitton collar any more than I NEED 100 pairs of shoes…but consumerism has led us down this path.
One other thing about pushing our values/habits on animals- I recently had a talk with my dog’s vet & he mentioned that in the last 30-40 years he’s seen a rise in “typically human” diseases (usually related to diet) in dogs. such as diabetes, high cholesterol & high blood pressure.

1 Like

@urszula: You’re right, and there are much more “human things” we try to pass to the other species. If you’re interested in the subject, allow me the off-topic and the invitation to visit my website: https://rbarata.com.

1 Like

@roberto Thanks for the link. I’m super interested in animal behavior. Especially what WE CAN LEARN from THEM, without pushing our habits onto them.

1 Like

Smart way to do it Urszula brilliant.

1 Like