Put down your mobiles and greet your kids with a smile

What do you think about this?
Is it a little passive aggressive or do you think it makes sense?

1 Like

@anon32618512 I think in this day & age, it’s so important & makes sense (to me).
I’m a new parent (2 week old son), and I want him to know me and not see me have my eyes glued to a screen.
Overall in society, it’s increasingly hard to be like this, but we must resist it. We’re slowly losing our humanity to technology.

1 Like

In today’s world, we’re all attached to our smartphones and devices, but it’s important to put them down and give our children the attention they deserve. A warm smile and genuine greeting can make a huge difference in your child’s day and help them feel valued and loved. I am a foster parent, and thanks to the organization that provides supporting foster parents What it Takes , I learned a lot about parenting. Children are very emotional, so parents should always give only positive emotions.

It’s not just adults who should put down their smartphones.

I saw at breakfast in a restaurant today two women and two young girls sitting at a table. One girl was engaged with the women while she used crayons to color a sheet that the waitress gave her. The other girl, age six or so, sat six inches from a smartphone, which she had propped against a drink glass. She stared into the smartphone, transfixed by whatever it was playing, and never – as far as I could tell – engaged with the two women. My breakfast companions and I remarked to ourselves that it was sad to see that girl lost in the virtual world that the smartphone provided.

2 Likes

@kirkmahoneyphd I had a similar experience this past weekend.
We were out at a restaurant & at one table there were 4 girls in their VERY early 20s. With their faces in phone screens, they barely interacted with each other. One kept filming herself & taking selfies, while the others were either taking pix of their food, drinks or mindlessly scrolling. I don’t think they spoke more than 5 sentences to each other. At another table sat a family with 2 kids, about 3-5 yrs old. While the parents ate their meal, both kids were eating with a phone in their face. Each parent propped up their own smartphone against the napkin centerpiece on the table & each kid had on headphones. Basically something like this: This is a stock photo for visual purposes.

I may be out of touch, but my guess is, this is not the best way to bring up children.

2 Likes

https://www.aoa.org/news/clinical-eye-care/public-health/screen-time-for-children-under-5?sso=y

WHO had these guidelines for several years now. It seems it hasnt got the public attention it needs, unfortunately.

1 Like

@John_Andersson Unfortunately, I think some parents might not have gotten the memo. But in all seriousness, my friend has a 14month old & she knows which icon to push on a smartphone to turn on YouTube. Her parents are pretty proud of how “smart” she is.

1 Like