Phone calls not working?

Not this bad though surely? I haven’t been able to get service anywhere in my local area except for a few rare moments where the phone can make a rough phone call.

1 Like

@immychann I’m sorry you’re experiencing issues. Who’s your network provider & where are you located?

I’m located in the UK and my provider is SMARTY (who use the Three network), I have managed to make calls so I’m assuming it isn’t a compatibility issue

1 Like

Update: I tried the release candidate to see if it would make any difference, it doesn’t

1 Like

It’s the modem of the phone. Mudita will make incremental improvements, but the modem through the low-SAR tech that they implemented will make the phone not have strong signal for a long time. At this moment, the phone either works great or it doesn’t. This will be the norm for a long time for most people.

2 Likes

I haven’t used the Three network for a very long time, but I do know that historically, it had the worst coverage and weakest signal out of all the major networks (and therefore its MVNOs would suffer from the same problem). It should have improved in the intervening years, but you could try Vodafone, EE, or O2, to see if there’s an improvement (or try one of the MVNOs that piggybacks off them such as giffgaff (O2), 1pmobile (EE) or Asda (Vodafone)).

1 Like

I’ve ordered an Asda sim to see what the connection will be like, fingers crossed that it’ll be good, if not, I’m only out £5

3 Likes

is the issue fixed after getting a new sim ?

1 Like

Yes! It made a huge difference :laughing:

I’m in the process of switching to Asda mobile now

3 Likes

Just putting my two cents here.
Vodafone net, Germany. Coverage from tower very good (three of them nearby), never had any issues for, well… years.
Now it’s a bit of lottery to get a stable call connection. It got better a bit as I moved the SIM card to slot no. 2, but it’s still far from what I was used to.
Fingers crossed for the next update…

3 Likes

@immychann Thanks for the feedback. Good to know it worked out!

Update: my number transfer finished and I now find that I’m able to make calls but not receive them, initially I thought this was due to the transfer but it seems that my Light Phone doesn’t have this issue

It kind of looks like the Mudita only finds service once it begins a call and then it goes off once the call has ended

1 Like

This may be due to the antenna and your carrier. This same phenomenon happens with Verizon in the US.

1 Like

So I just have to try another carrier again then? How frustrating :frowning:

1 Like

Not sure, but it could happen. A lot of people here in the US have had issues like this and have to resort to trial and error.

1 Like

That seems to weird because an earlier post here seemed to suggest that Vodafone should work, and I even recall getting a phone call through before my number transfer

1 Like

I’m gonna report this issue to the devs.
@immychann would it be possible for you to send logs to Mudita via Mudita Center?
Here are the instructions:

Just did this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Update first, try different provider SIM cards (strongest network provider first).
Consumer rights should be that after contract is off you can pass existing number to that “strong provider” that work, so try prepaid cards first.

1 Like

Hey, thanks for the update! It’s strange how service can be so unpredictable sometimes, right? Reminds me of when I was on a road trip and relied on my phone’s GPS. Out of the blue, it just couldn’t connect, and I was left stranded in the middle of nowhere. Frustrating, to say the least. Have you tried reaching out to these https://www.mightycall.com/blog/how-to-get-a-toll-free-number-in-the-usa/ sites about the issue?

2 Likes