Open sourcing the OS

Hi

some months ago I filled out a form to express my interest in contributing to Mudita OS through the developer preview. I’m wondering what progress has been made so far in inviting people to review the source code. Has anyone that signed up been granted access yet?

All the best
Michael

1 Like

@thinkround I’m passing this info on to the person who is the gatekeeper :slight_smile: He’ll get back to you shortly.

Hi @thinkround
We’re inviting people in batches - so far we have invited 30+ people. Have you filled in the Open Source experience survey that we were sending after the initial sign up?
All the best!

2 Likes

Regarding this topic, I’ve been invited and I’ve some feedback so far, it would be great to provide general documentation of the project to help new developers get started quickly and find the best areas to contribute.
I’ve been keeping an eye in the GitHub organization for a while but it seems very inactive from the outside, no issues, no PRs, no roadmaps, no contribution guidelines…looking forward to see some progress here.
Cheers

2 Likes

Thanks for the update, I’m certainly not jumping to be the first onboard, glad to hear something is happening in the background.

2 Likes

Hi @anon50734617,

All documentation is available on GitHub:

I’ve been keeping an eye in the GitHub organization for a while but it seems very inactive from the outside, no issues, no PRs, no roadmaps, no contribution guidelines…

I’m sorry to hear this. There are some issues already (mostly community members willing to create localizations of the OS). Maybe you get the feeling that nothing is happening because most of the core dev team discussions happen on Jira/Confluence which are currently closed to the public.

When it comes to PRs - are you looking in the right section? We currently have 30+ of them but the number is always dynamic since we release a new version of MuditaOS every week (visit our releases section with changelogs for every release).

We also plan to provide the community with a general roadmap after Mudita Pure is made available to the public.

I hope this helps. Feel free to share any additional feedback.
All the best!

2 Likes

Sorry I was mistaken, It seems like I’ve access to the GitHub organization but not the MuditaOS repository yet

2 Likes

Hi!
When I follow those links, Github just gives a 404.

1 Like

Dear @sandra
In order to view these pages you need to be invited for the Developer Preview and become a part of Mudita org on GitHub - we’ll open-source the code soon for everyone. Have you already applied for the Developer Preview?
All the best!

1 Like

What language is the MuditaOS written in?

1 Like

@Kasper 71.5% of the MuditaOS is written C & 26.9% in C++ Hopefully this helps.

1 Like

I see, it is not a language that I master. Are the UI’s for the desktop app, and the phone itself, also made with C/C++?

I am self familiar with making UI’s using web technologies (HTML/CSS/JS/TS), Swift and Dart (flutter). Anty of those that you use? Or isverything done with more lower level languages?

@Kasper Everything is done in low level languages :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I was actually searching a bit on the forum and I read that the desktop app is made using Electron, which is based on web technologies, is that not correct?

1 Like

@Kasper I think you’re right :slight_smile: I believe the app is currently written in Electron , hence the compatibility with all the platforms. However, I am waiting to confirm this.

Yes, Electron was mentioned for the desktop companion app. The phone itself probably has no javascript running on it at all.

1 Like

Hey! I was curious about the ability to load custom modified firmware onto the phone. The website mentions that the update process uses signing keys to ensure that it has not been tempered with. Does that mean I won’t be able to load my own modified version of the OS onto the phone? For example when working on the official repository and doing some changes to the source code. I can’t imagine that this won’t be possible as it would make testing rather hard.

2 Likes

Hi @ilikeit
We want to enable this option inside Pure, so that community members will be able to run the forks of the official MuditaOS inside their own Pure. I hope this answers your question. Cheers!

5 Likes

That they use FreeRTOS and low-level langs is a huge selling point for this phone as far as I’m concerned. That’s part of the simple life I’m looking for.

1 Like

I have applied but it’s still 404.

1 Like