Next Mudita Pure 2

While Camera (some Carl Zeiss optics :slight_smile: looks like obvious upgrade, I am sure after we drain all software updates and sales, eventually Pure 2 MIGHT be considered. For that, Pure needs to be success.

I am sure team will draw experience, and there will be user suggestions.
Mine wishlist for Pure 2 could be some of these options - on improving current concepts:

Hardware

• If there is camera, it could be THERMAL/FLIR, found some interesting use on CAT phones, for fireman, handyman and I am sure even soldiers and ordinary people :slight_smile:
  • Stronger battery OR exchangable battery + back used as solar panel (tried on e.g. Puma phone M1 with mixed results)
  • E-ink can be touchscreen too, Question is wether to go there
  • XL model with good QWERTY keyboard and larger e-ink display or fully e-ink display device and bundled matching bluetooth QWERTY keyboard
  • Radio integration?
  • Stereo speakers

Software

4 Likes

Awesome suggestions and vision.

Blackberry maps was so basic in the day. Simple turn right now. Turn left now. Est time to destination. Actual mapping not even required and a simple timeline bar at the bottom showing how close you are to reaching destination.

3 Likes

Thanks!
Software wise, it would be best to integrate best and simplest solutions from past and present to make the OS something great software wise!

Havent used BlackBarry OS, sadly :frowning: Last Symbian Nokias also had simple and usable maps. But I dig you - just showing direction and distance is enough as minimum

On qwerty phone, I prefer Vertu Quest look :slight_smile:

Vertu was luxory, but Leave expensive materials. no need for that. But keep nice design and durability, as much as cost/effective and once could have nicely designed, durable phone that could be affordable.
Some phones back in 90s/early 2000s had interesting hardware ideas, like Optical trackpad, Accelerometer, compass, Dedicated music keys. Also, what sensors could be added that help in real life - thermostat. compas? (Compas is also nicely done in Puma Phone)

I Hope minimalistic but useful ideas could be revived.

Last but not least, durability of all components and further scratch and other resistances :slight_smile:

Also, I like notes and to keep important text in phone. Easy bluetooth text exchange with PC and other BT devices would be nice, as well as some advanced and simple text editor instead of just notes.
I enjoy Writer + on Android

Ideally, some of best solutions would be paid by crowdfunding or Pure phone success, and would be official “demakes” for our OS :slight_smile: Having the original makers name, support and fixes

mp3: Something like Dub Music
Maps: Go as simple as possible, but with nice look
Editor: as worthy as Writer +
Dialer and call app needs special love :slight_smile:

Meditation app also could be improved with input from some yoga teachers
Clock design could be “borrowed” from Vertu phone themes

I also liked: Voice Commanding - even some basic record voice for function, not really Google Talk

2 Likes

I like having a phone with no Senors but voice recording and an offline mapping app would be helpful.

3 Likes

All of these are GREAT suggestions & I will make sure our team reads through all your ideas!

3 Likes

Thanks for really including community feedback. Hope to see Pure success and Pure 2 :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Adding a suggestion from other thread

theauditor

18h

I would say allowing the mudita center to export SMS files and call logs would be great! A call recorder or voice memo recorder would be great. I like the simplicity of this phone and the feel of it.

1 Like

Keep the ideas coming :smiley: We really appreciate them!

3 Likes

I vote for wildcard blocking of calls and text messages, if the Pure does not already have it.

I want this wildcard-based blocking to mean that the matching text messages never appear on the device.

For example, consider North American telephone numbers that begin with the +1 country code, suppose that the area code is 987 and that the prefix is 654, and suppose that a fundraising company uses nearly anything for the final four digits. Then I vote for being able to specify +1-987-654-* instead of having to specify every TN from +1-987-654-0000 through +1-987-654-9999.

There are Android and iPhone apps for wildcard-TN-based text-message blocking, and it would be great to have this functionality on the next Pure.

My cellular TN somehow got on a list that every political fundraiser “and his brother” now uses to spam my Sunbeam Wireless F1 Orchid MULTIPLE times a day with political-donation SMS and MMS messages. The Orchid’s OS (“BasicOS”) is based on Android, but there is no ability to add apps to it from the Google Play store. Further, although the Orchid lets me add the TNs from unwanted calls and text messages to a “Blocked List”, I cannot access that list through a USB connection from my computer to the Orchid. (Sunbeam Wireless told me that the list exists on the Orchid in a ‘system’ file that customers cannot access.)

• The Orchid’s “Blocked List” functionality stops the receipt of SMS and MMS messages from TNs on the Blocked List.
  • The Orchid’s “Do Not Disturb” functionality stops the notifications about but not the receipt of SMS and MMS messages that come from TNs that are not in my Contacts list AND that are not on the Blocked List.

Now that I have many TNs on my Orchid’s Blocked List, I see patterns among these TNs – almost all of which are from political fundraisers – and would love to convert them into wildcard TNs, but Sunbeam Wireless has no plans to enable this.

If Mudita offers an anti-smartphone that supports MMS and wildcard-based blocking of text messages and good signal strength in the USA, then I might be among the first in line to order it!

Update: I do not have a Light Phone II, but I wrote to Light Phone today and learned that LP2 also does not support wildcard-TN-based blocking:

Hi Kirk,

Thanks for reaching out.

We cannot do wildcard based blocking, but I’ll pass that along to the dev team to look into.

Once a contact is blocked, you will not receive any texts from them. However, as the phone device, we can only block a number from ever appearing on the phone itself, but if a blocked user calls you, they may still be able to leave a voicemail with your carrier. Only mobile and cellular carriers are able to provide you with true call blocking. Hope that makes sense!

Given that neither Sunbeam Wireless nor Light Phone support wildcard-TN-based blocking of calls and text messages, Mudita would be ahead of both of those companies if Mudita were to offer this!

Happy-News Update: The Sunbeam Wireless F1 Orchid, per an OS update in late September of 2022, now lets users through Contacts > Settings enable a feature called “Allow incoming messages from contacts only”. This lets me block all SMS/MMS messages from strangers. Woo-hoo!

3 Likes

Anyway, good blocking options are nice real life security measures :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Here is a suggestion for the Mudita pure 2. How about the phone actually working.

3 Likes

How about you save your snarky comments? It’s understandable that you’re disappointed, but I guess you’re happy with the Light Phone now? Then stop expressing your displeasure in almost every thread here. Constructive criticism ok, but what you do has nothing to do with it in my eyes but you just unload your frustration here.

6 Likes

I am sure they will improve whats now bundled. This is thread about Wished similar features for next model, based on experience with current.

There are threads about bugs and problems with current model, where you can express your concerns.

I will buy current model once they are able to ship it to my country, and hopefully, some of existing bugs will be ironed by then.

And surely would buy successor, but first model needs to succeed,

3 Likes

@cardio79 Regarding the quality of the our product- As everyone knows, Mudita Pure was originally created as a crowdfunding project. The nature of crowdfunding is that it helps develop & make new & creative projects a reality. This also means that the community helps in the development of the project, which also translates to working through all the bugs before the project goes mainstream. Sometimes it takes time to polish a tech product, like Mudita Pure.

Since you’re very familiar with Light Phone and Punkt, you know that those devices came out approx 3-5 yrs ago & many people on our forum talked about their experiences with those phones & there are many posts on our forum where it took those companies about 3-4 years AFTER launch to perfect their product.

Unfortunately, just like those startups, we’re not part of a BIG TECH conglomerate with infinite possibilities to manufacture a perfect product on a single try. That’s why we count on users’ feedback in order to make sure we work towards creating a GREAT product.

It’s easy to tout the awesomeness of other phones, when you didn’t experience the growing pains of those devices first hand. Maybe Jose can shed some light on the initial versions of those phones, but from the reviews I’ve read online, they were not perfect at launch. It took time and a lot of hard work to get them to their usability today.

You might want to take a look at this 2019 review of Punkt: Punkt MP02 review: A Fine Mess

Since this came out, the company has made amazing progress & it’s one of the best minimalist phones out there. However, perfection takes time. It’s very rarely done instantly.

The original Light Phone was announced in 2015 and released in 2017, also via Kickstarter. When it initially came out, the reviews were really not that rosy. Many people complained that it’s not ready for prime time & that it should not have been released. The original Light Phone just had an illuminated number pad & no eInk. It cost $150 and could only make and receive calls and it could only store nine phone numbers. Even though it was so simple. It didn’t always work properly. You can find posts on this forum from users discussing their initial experience with the device.

However, now five years later a lot has changed. It’s a GREAT device.

The company put a lot of effort into making it a good device with the help of feedback from backers and the work of the Light Phone team.

The bottom line is that we’re not nearly a year after the initial launch and although we do understand the frustrations which stand behind all the complaints, we are working incredibly hard to make this a GREAT phone.

We appreciate everyone’s patience as we get to that point!

10 Likes

Whilst this is a little blunt (and can be interpreted as “snarky”, as others have said), it is still a fair and legitimate point. When a Mudita Pure 2 is eventually launched, the primary focus should be its reliability. However much or little it does, it just needs to do it well without crashing.

Hopefully, just as with the Punkt and Lightphone, improvements to the current Pure will mitigate its stability/reliability problems. Yes, its antenna design might prevent it ever getting the best reception, but if SMS handling can “just work”, call quality can be good when there’s a signal, the freezes/crashes stop, and network compatibility can be improved (especially USA/Canada), then the Pure 1 will easily compete in the Punkt/Lightphone arena. At that point, I’ll probably place my order.

I still have an interest in the Pure but am holding-back buying until I know the SMS-mangling issues and various freezes/crashes etc are fixed. I can’t afford to purchase an unreliable phone. I need to know SMS are not getting lost/mangled, calls will get through when there’s a signal, etc. If it can’t do something, that’s fine, I can work around it. My concern is when it’s supposed to be able to do something but does it inconsistently/unreliably. That’s worse than not having the functionality.

My main priorities for a Mudita Pure 2 would be:

“Must haves”:

1. Be like the original Pure in almost every respect, apart from:
  2. Handle SMS reliably.
  3. Don’t crash/freeze.
  4. Display a received MMS (picture message) on the screen, even if the phone cannot send or forward them. If the hardware is incapable of this, at the bare minimum, have the phone notify the user there is an MMS waiting to retrieve, and allow Mudita Center to retrieve the MMS from the network to display it on the computer.

Some “should-haves” include:

1. Replying to MMS even if just to send textual information, for instance to facilitate group chatting.
  2. Improvements to the music player, e.g. ability to play an album, or all albums by an artist, based on ID3 tags. At present I think the player just plays all the audio files present, with no sorting by tags.
  3. VoLTE
  4. Ability to tether by Bluetooth and/or act as a WiFi hotspot if a WiFi chip is included in the design.

Some “would like to haves” include:

1. A client for Signal, like Punkt’s “Pigeon”
  2. A Keepass 2.x -compatible password-safe, so users can display saved passwords on the screen. A similar J2ME app used to exist for feature-phones around 10 years ago.
  3. An OTP (2FA) app so that users can securely sign into things like banks without a smartphone. It would be a pain to set up without a camera but can be done (use the keypad to type the TOTP secret into the app).
  4. A very basic PDF/image viewer. The screen is too small to use as an e-reader, but this feature would be useful for things like displaying QR-codes (e.g. copy your plane ticket to the Pure).
  5. VoWiFi (requires WiFi chip), as this would mitigate a lot of the issues with poor reception/signal.

Some “could haves” include:

1. Basic camera, even if only 640x480. Could take colour or B&W photos, it really doesn’t matter, as the Pure’s e-ink screen would be fine as a viewfinder. I’m not so bothered about this, but it would perhaps be useful in an emergency situation. It might even be good to have the Pure 2 in a camera and camera-free version, for those who don’t want the feature.

Personally I think adding any “online” features such as podcasts, maps, liftsharing or dating, would set the Pure down a very slippery slope, turning it into a smartphone for people who want to pretend they don’t want a smartphone. Everybody would have a different idea of what an “essential” or “minimal” app would be. I’d rather any Pure 2 would only have the minimum online functionality required to either tether another device or perform calling/messaging.

7 Likes

Let’s face it, none of us are getting any younger and at some point reaching for reading glasses will become a habit.
So I would really appreciate it if the font size on the Mudita Pure was adjustable. As a layman, that doesn’t seem to be a major technical challenge to me and could actually even be implemented in the current model.

6 Likes

@thilodus This is actually on the roadmap & is being implemented in a future update.

8 Likes

Mine’s working perfectly at the moment haha.

4 Likes

@cjc26 We’re so happy to hear that. I may be biased, but I also have no issues with my Mudita Pure.

2 Likes

I am also having serious eye condition, and large fonts would be most appreciated.

3 Likes