Mudita Pure vs Punkt MP02

After work today, I decided to test the Pure again with the latest update in the hope that there would be improvements in the signal.
I plugged in the sim card and after the start I first had the usual two bars in the signal in the flat. I put the Pure in the cork bag and went outside for a little walk. I wrote a text message, after which the signal was lost immediately.
It took about 3 minutes until I had two bars again. Then it briefly rose to three bars and the next time I took the Pure out of the bag I had no bars.
I went home again where I had the two bars again.
I got an SMS and answered it. Shortly afterwards, the X appeared on the signal and nothing happened for 15 minutes. Only a restart brought back the usual two bars.
Now the Pure is on the dining table and still has two bars.
But seriously, you can’t use the phone like that.
It’s pure stress when I have to constantly check whether I still have reception and possibly have to restart the phone.
And I don’t understand it. It used to be better. Otherwise I wouldn’t have used the Pure for almost a year. I think at some point with the 1.4… or 1.5… Update it was quite usable.
I have no idea what’s going on.

I might take another look at it tomorrow during the day and take the Pure with me to work, but if I have these problems again, then I will probably stay with Punkt MP02 for good. As I said, I haven’t had any reception problems in about 2 months.
It’s a shame and makes me very sad. I really want to use the Pure and not just as a meditation timer.
Maybe I’ll get it out when there are updates again, in the hope that something will improve. But I’ll be honest, that hope is very slim to none.
How often have I sent log files or written something on GitHub about the errors, but unfortunately nothing happens. And it can’t all be down to the antenna. There must be a small improvement possible via the software (which controls the hardware/antenna).

4 Likes

@marko Thanks for taking time to give us feedback.
So, according to you, the previous updates made the phone more usable & now, the most recent updates are causing the phone to be less reliable. Am I understanding you correctly?

2 Likes

So at least since the last update, the Pure loses the signal completely shortly after I have sent or received a text message. The signal goes from 2 bars down to 1 bar and shortly after that the “x” is visible. And even after 10-15 minutes the signal does not come back. Only restarting the Pure solves the problem for the time being. I have already sent the logs for this. If it is relevant, here is the serial number: 26950950270922
And the bug mentioned above and reported on Github is unfortunately still not fixed.

3 Likes

@marko Thanks for the clarification. I will consult with the team on this issue. One more question: With what update do you personally believe the phone was working the best?

2 Likes

I have already received a reply from Matt today, who asked me a few more questions about the problem, which I have just answered by email.
I think it was update 1.5… which worked best for me so far. However, the Pure would hang up every now and then, which is no longer the case.
But the reception was more stable with it, I would say.
But these are all just my observations.
I tested the Pure again today for the whole day. Outside, on the way to work, and also at work it worked very well, I even had the full signal strength at times. Just when I got home, the signal went down from 2 bars and then broke off again completely after writing a text message. A restart fixed the problem. At home, the signal was not strong before either, mostly 2 bars, but it remained stable. Sometimes it would go down to one bar but then go back up to two bars. It never used to drop out completely. This has only happened since the latest update.

3 Likes

After 2 weeks of using the Pure again every day, I switched back to Punkt MP02 yesterday, as much as it hurts me.
At first I thought the Pure was running fine again (oh how often I thought that…), the connection was lost from time to time, but it found the signal again relatively quickly (by removing the sticker). But then the well-known and still not fixed error happened again. After a change of location, i.e. from home to work, the Pure displayed the signal, but no calls or text messages came through. After a restart, the messages come in.
When this happened again in a situation when my wife wanted to reach me and she was very worried because she couldn’t reach me and I didn’t answer, I had enough.
At home, I immediately inserted the SIM card into the MP02.
As I said, everything runs reliably there and I don’t have to worry about reception. With the Pure, which actually relaxed me, lately I only looked at the signal strength and whether there was still reception, and that didn’t relax me at all. Quite the opposite. It’s such a shame. I love using the Pure for meditation in the morning, I love the way it feels in my hand, I love the ringtones, everything. But it’s just not reliable. Meanwhile, I don’t think this one bug I mentioned above will ever be fixed. On Github there is no feedback from the team anymore. Even on my submitted log files and bug reports, I received a short answer that everything is forwarded and then nothing more is heard. It seems to me that Mudita has somehow finished with the Pure and is concentrating on the successor model. Too bad for those who invested so much money, trust and patience in the Pure.

I don’t mind that the signal is not as strong as with other phones, but it must then be stable, or the aforementioned bug must be fixed. It can’t be that I drive from A to B, a signal is displayed, but simply no messages and calls come through until a restart. I’m pretty frustrated right now. I don’t hear anything more about buying spare parts here either. So why advertise a replaceable battery. Then it has no added value compared to other phones with a fixed battery.
So now I use the Mp02 without any problems (it’s also a great phone), but my heart belongs to the Mudita Pure.

6 Likes

I think today I have finally said goodbye to Pure, as painful as it is. Since the last update, I had tested it again a bit. As I said, there was an error with the e-ink display when writing text messages, which is very annoying. Today, another important SMS did not reach the recipient and when I wanted to make a call, I got a dial tone but the recipient did not receive a call. This is really no longer a bearable state. Since the update regarding Voice Over LTE is also being postponed again and again, and the demand for spare parts such as an additional battery (it was advertised that the battery can be replaced) is going nowhere, I will probably try to sell the Pure. It’s a shame and hurts my heart, because otherwise it’s exactly the phone that suits me. If only these problems were not there. So now I’m definitely sticking with the MP02 from Punkt. I don’t know if I will look at the new phone from Mudita later, since I have now spent so much money. Over 300 euros for the Pure and then again as much for the MP02. It’s just a shame and I would really like to see a revised version of the Pure, perhaps at a reduced price for those customers who can’t use the first model properly.
Nevertheless, thank you for the journey you have taken with me as Mudita. You have changed a lot in my life and I use other products from you with much joy and satisfaction.

3 Likes

I don’t blame you. I am still stuck with my Mudita and although I love the concept of the phone I have owned the Cat s22 flip for 2 weeks now and its just fantastic. It does not let me down has the apps I need and I can be reached when I need to be reached. I don’t see myself going back to a pure dumbphone because this phone just has everything I need and although technically a smartphone because of its small screen and design none of my addictive smartphone habits have come back.

4 Likes

The pure team should have tested it well before selling this phone. Now they are sending mails to give feedback on the colour of next phone. Please make the internal things work (good signal reception, no crash and reliable clear calls) not the outside looks (colour, shapes). I didn’t reply to that mail for my feedback of their next phone colour.

3 Likes

Could not agree more. The phone is gorgeous but in North America frustrating to use.

1 Like

@cardio79 & @ramamohan Thanks for the feedback. We really appreciate it. We do understand that Mudita Pure may not have met everyone’s expectations and we’re doing our best to make sure that our new phones do :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know they will! I know I have been critical of the Mudita team but I know in my gut you guys are all great people trying to make our digital lives better. The team put out a phone and it was a learning process, and I know your new devices will rock, I am 100 percent confident of that :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@cardio79 Mudita Pure was a HUGE learning experience for us. We are committed to making the next phones the best ones yet!

2 Likes

I honestly every time I put this phone away I contemplate putting a sim back in it lol. I know it works on Chatr so I am thinking as long as the Cat flip can get a signal in the basement using chatr then I can put my chatr sim in my mudita whenever I need my fix. I just can’t explain the feeling having the phone on my person has. It just has this calming effect. I am wondering if I got a fido 4g phone plan if that somehow would improve the connectivity along with the sticker being off in the back.

1 Like

I am also wondering Urszula if I go with a 4G chatr plan do you think this would improve the connectivity?
Because in the past when I used Chatr or Fido there were 3G plans. I am wondering if I choose a 4G plan if having a 4g sim card would improve the connectivity, that combined with removing that sticker that seems to slightly improve the low sar

1 Like

You know what I am going to try it, got nothing to lose. I am pay 30 dollars a month right now with lucky mobile so I don’t mind testing out a 4g chatr sim plan and see if that improves the signal inside even more. See what this phone does to me! lol

1 Like

Punkt. just launched the MC02:

1 Like

An interesting concept. However, the 5G is a no-go for me.

The punkt looks better

1 Like

Ditto. The “GMS Wizard” is another no-go for me, given its inherent support for privacy invasion by Google.

GMS wizard
Walk through wizard in case you may want install apps from Google Play store*
** A valid Google account is necessary.*

People who use de-Googled phones (phones with no Google apps) know that there are apps for downloading apps from the Play Store anonymously. I am dismayed that Punkt. promotes the privacy benefits of the MC02 but includes an app that requires a Google ID to access the Google Play Store.

2 Likes