Mudita Kompakt PRICE REVEAL!

Should be end price, but again, a lot sellers on capitalism show no VAT prices to make products look cheaper

2 Likes

The price is in EUR and usually in Europe we put the consumer price including VAT and and not B2B price excl VAT. Americans often put the price without VAT because VAT depends on the state. If you then look at the price of the Lightphone 3 and you include VAT and shipping to Europe then the retail price is above an iPhone 16 or Galaxy S24 ultra!! Come on! At least Mudita keeps it real. Iā€™ll be buying a Kompakt, but the LP3 I couldnā€™t justify even with early bird price.

4 Likes

As an extra note I have to say that ā‚¬300 is still expensive for a ā€˜dumbphoneā€™. Mine costed ā‚¬24. But the Kompakt also gives you an e-reader (the Onyx Boox Palma costs ā‚¬300), a 4G hotspot (around ā‚¬80), a gps unit (also around ā‚¬300) etc.

2 Likes

If Kompakt has either Play Store enabled or enabled APK Sideloading in developer options, is no dumphone at all. Pure could be considered expensive for dumbie

1 Like

I actually think the phone will arrive fairly quickly as well. Because they already have a working model that they have demoed at that trade show. Even though the LP3 was announced in June they still donā€™t have a working demo model. So my gut is telling me we are in for a surprise. After the kickstarter launches I think we won;t have to wait long for our phones. The kickstarter will launch by the end of this month and I think its entirely possible we have these phones (early backers) in our hands by christmas

2 Likes

Apk sideloading is likely. But most apps do not work well on eink, as I experienced from a Boox device which has quite some optimisation. However, there are some specific opensource apps for eink, including a browser. Donā€™t worry: browsing on a small and slow e-ink is not a pleasant experience. Emergency use only.

2 Likes

No, but can saved the day. Video watching is no no.
But a lot can be done. Had yota phone 2 few years back, loved it

1 Like

Good price! This will be a tough choice. I was leaning toward the LP3 because of the e-ink display. As much as I looove e-ink, Iā€™m worried about refresh rate & other issues. Itā€™s the reason why people had so many issues with the LP2. Like, apparently when texting, it took a little bit for each letter to start showing up, even when pressed (like a lag). Iā€™m a fast typer so that would drive me nuts. Any idea what the refresh rate will be on the Kompakt?

2 Likes

@nilss Then, is it just an eBook reader?

1 Like

Hi Urszula,

I suppose you guys do have some Onyx models laying around in the office, seeing how they are the market leader in e-ink tablets and know very well how to optimise apps for e-ink screens?

The Palma was apparently very popular on TikTok recently, maybe Mudita could make use of that momentum for the Kompakt? The Palma is a smartphone-sized e-reader but like all other Onyx devices it runs the Play Store and you can download apps, the main use case being to download other e-reader apps like Kindle, audio player apps like Spotify but also e.g. Dropbox to sync files. By extension you can use WhatsApp etc. but the user experience is not super, being e-ink. The Palma also has a a camera, mainly to scan documents. It does not, however, make calls and it does not have a GPS in-built, a major bummer for a lot of potential users.

2 Likes

Extremely keen for this!!!

1 Like