Mudita don't do this! (Calendar by Punkt)

So recently, Punkt released their calendar view feature for the MP02. Instead of using good old CalDav, they are building their “private” calendar and charging for it. Check the review here: Punkt MP02 April 2023 Update - YouTube

But please Mudita, if you are going to release a simple calendar, don’t make it a subscription. Regular price is $15/month without the discount and $6 per month for their calendar features. Please keep the commitment to free tools after charging a premium for the phone.

7 Likes

@Jose_Briones Thanks for this info. Although I do sympathize with Punkt when it comes to the complexity of the calendar (it’s super hard to program) but $15 per month is a bit excessive imho.

Are they charging for OS updates? I think they were planning on doing that as well.

@kirkmahoneyphd mentioned that he pays for a premium subscription for his Sunbeam service. I’m not sure how much that is, but it’s more for security reasons. I am curious how the costs compare.

2 Likes

Sunbeam Wireless charges US$40 per year for its “Sunbeam Premium” service, which includes three privacy-protecting features (and has nothing to do with the modest calendar feature in the F1 Orchid):

• Speech-to-text (SUPERB functionality!) via Sunbeam-anonymized traffic with Microsoft
  • Points-of-Interest searches in the navigation feature via Sunbeam-anonymized traffic with a POI provider
  • Extended forecasts and animated weather-radar map in the weather feature via Sunbeam-anonymized traffic with a weather provider
5 Likes

@kirkmahoneyphd Thanks for the update. I think that’s a pretty reasonable cost vs. benefit (for $40 per year)
For $15/month ($180) for just a calendar feature, that’s pretty excessive.

4 Likes

What a JOKE

3 Likes

I went back to Sunbeam and its worth it. Speech to text is worth it and so is the directions and weather app…they don’t charge for the calendar.
Punkt dropped the ball huge on this one

6 Likes

Also I notice the Mudita’s have been out of stock forever now…is that it? Are you guys not providing anymore of them for sale?

3 Likes

@cardio79 We are working on a better version of Mudita. We know that there were some hardware limitation which we would not be able to overcome with software updates (namely connection/network/issues- as you know).
Those new devices will be available next year & I think you’ll be really happy with them.

5 Likes

Charging that much for a calendar is just wrong. Didn’t they also say that they were going to charge for updates?

4 Likes

Awesome yeah I am on the sunbeam right now but I know when the new Mudita comes out I will be back. Excited for when that happens

4 Likes

There are actually some on ebay. I am bidding on one lol. My sunbeam was a gift so it did not cost me anything so I am considering using the mudita on days I just want to really chill lol…I miss that phone so much lol

4 Likes

@cardio79 Like I keep saying… You never forget your first love!

3 Likes

lol, the price is just really good (over 100 off the cost of a new one) and its the color I like as well. This was barely used as well by the owner.

5 Likes

@cardio79 I hope you win the auction.

4 Likes

Does the alarm on the mudita have a labelling and repeating function?
I use the alarm on the Sunbeam as a calendar for repeating events, can’t remember if I can label alarms and have the repeat them on the pure or if I have to put in new alarms/events every day

4 Likes

I bought it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Ended up paying $283 :love_you_gesture:
And its going to end up being no money because I am selling the Sunbeam which I got as a gift. This calls for a celebration, perhaps the Pure cork case? :man_dancing:
My plan is to use the Mudita as my main phone when I am at home and out as well when my kids are with me. I know Fido here in Canada worked perfectly for the most part. I am also going to get a Nokia 225 and pop the sim in there when I really know I need to be reached reliably.

When I thought about it I was like I need a Mudita to pass the time until the new version comes out lol

4 Likes

@cardio79 Congrats!!!

3 Likes

Black or grey? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Grey, would not have bought it if it was black lol
I had both and usually I prefer black but the grey color mudita is just so much better

3 Likes