Mudita Bell Reviews

@chrisnb We understand that it might not be an ideal mechanism, however, this IS our first iteration of the clock. We made that choice or a variety of reasons- but mainly because at the time we were manufacturing the clock, we were very concerned about supply chain issues that were plaguing the European manufacturing sector. We encountered many challenges with Mudita Pure, taking into consideration how many parts were supplied by European manufacturing partners & when lockdowns hit, factories shut down & there was not much we could do, but wait. We wanted to ensure on time production & delivery. However, our team is discussing a second version of the clock & perhaps that one will include a different mechanism.

2 Likes

@marc67 Holy moly guacamole :avocado: & nachos! Two months is GREAT! I am told by the product manager @aleksandra that Mudita Bell’s batter can last even longer!

1 Like

Hi,
If you produce a next iteration of the Bell will you have a trade in offer or some form of discount for those that purchased the original China produced version?

It is possible, but I can’t promise anything right now. What I can say is that our community will be informed about it once the decisions are made :wink:

3 Likes

We already noticed that. It is not bad, but for sure it can be better. Sooner or later we will address it in the next iteration of the product. Not so fast, though, as it requires quite serious changes in the mechanics/molding forms. Thank You for your suggestions!

Michal

2 Likes

Here’s a video of Mudita Bell review on YT:

5 Likes

Here’s a link to an external review of Mudita Bell:

Is it the Bell or the Harmony they’re reviewing? Seems to go back and forth.

@numbcoffee I did notice that they used pictures of Mudita Harmony as well & I can understand how that can be a bit confusing. But the review itself is of the Mudita Bell.

Hello everyone,
After spending a lot of time searching for a simple alarm clock that gradually wakes you up, I finally decided that the Mudita Bell is exactly what I have been looking for. The main reason for choosing Bell instead of Harmony is the battery consumption. The battery on the Bell can last for months without a need to recharge, whereas the battery on Harmony needs to be recharged every week. This also means that the battery will go through very little recharge cycles over the years and thus degrade much less than the Harmony, so the Bell was the perfect choice for me.

A bit over a week ago I received the two Mudita Bell clocks I ordered after taking advantage of the “Sharing is caring!” promo. The clocks have been in use in our family for the past week and I decided to express my opinion of the Bell in a review :slightly_smiling_face:.

What I love about the Bell clocks:

• The design of the clocks is amazing - very innovative, simplistic and elegant!
  • The quality of the materials used is superb. The plastic is very sturdy and the color is great. The buttons on top feel great to me.
  • The backlight is perfect! I have not seen any other analog clock with adjustable backlight that is evenly distributed over the whole dial.
  • The mechanism is very quiet and you have to be very close to the clock to hear it.
  • The sound quality of the speaker is great for an alarm clock. Though there is a little sound distortion on the loudest settings.
  • Very calming alarm melodies. The melodies on the Mudita Bell are a thousand times better than any other analog alarm clock I have seen! Even the premium ones have this annoying beeping alarm sound.
  • When the Mudita Bell wakes me up, I do not feel stressed, unlike when my smartphone or one of the other alarm clocks we have at home wake me up.
  • The battery lasts a long time, so I don’t have to constantly think about recharging.

What could be improved for the next version:

• More granular clock dial. Currently the Bell only has marks for the hours. In my view, It would have been better if it had marks for the minutes as well since it allows for finer adjustment of the alarm and time.
  • Using a mechanism that allows adjustments in both directions. In this version of the Bell someone by mistake might rotate the knobs on the back in the wrong direction and damage the mechanism.
  • Maybe an ability to upload your own alarm tones via the USB cable. If this feature requires integration of a CPU like the one in the Harmony, thus reducing battery life, then I wouldn’t want it :smile:.

Small issues I noticed:

• The time and alarm adjustment knobs on one of the clocks feel loosely attached and they rattle when you touch them or shake the clock with your hand. The knobs on the other clock feel very firm and there is no rattling.
  • The clock that has loose knobs also sometimes glitches when I hold light click on the main button in order to check the battery level - sometimes it lights up and chimes in about 2 seconds, other times it lights up and chimes after 1 minute of holding the button down or does not signal at all. This is very strange behaviour, as the other clock does not have this issue - it always signals the battery level status in about 2 seconds.
  • Two of the hands of the second clock(the one with the firm adjustment knobs) seem to have been installed not very carefully. The top hand is tilted upwards and it looks as if it touches the front glass. The middle hand appears to be tilted downwards and almost touches the alarm hand. This is a bit unexpected, since installing the hands of an alarm clock is a very simple task.

Has anyone from the earlier owners of the Bell observed similar issues?

The issues I mentioned are probably already resolved in the latest batches of the Mudita Bell, since one of the boxes of the clocks has a much higher serial number. I suppose the higher serial number is of the one with the firm knobs and tilted clock hands. It is great to see that the production quality of the Mudita products is increasing since I have definitely decided to buy other Mudita products like the Pure in the future!

In conclusion, I would highly recommend the Mudita Bell for everyone who has had enough of smartphones and all other analog clocks that have stressing alarm sounds!

3 Likes

Hi! I have Harmony and love it. I use IT not just for waking me up but … for my work also. When I need to focus I simply setup my Harmony as a focus timer (using relax mode). I know that is not a answer for your question, but I’am a huge fan of getting rid off smartphones from bedroom but also from our desks. (Sorry for my English, have some troubles with using it). Have a lovely day!

2 Likes

I agree with all of the positives mentioned in previous posts, so I won’t go into all of that again.

The only negative issue that I have is the small size and lack of texture on the knob used to set the alarm makes it difficult to use.

1 Like

My polish review of Mudita Bell: Mudita: Bell minimalistyczny budzik

3 Likes

@wojtekadams Thanks for the thorough review. We really appreciate it.

1 Like

I purchased 2 Bells, both started producing ‘ticking’ sounds intermittently. One was replaced… the replacement for that one also produced a noise. So we had three that all started producing sounds at night which was enough to disturb sleep. We ended up returning all of them. = (

@tivan How loud were the ticking noises?

1 Like

That’s difficult to quantify. They were loud enough to disrupt sleep in the quiet of night for both my partner and I. The noise was intermittent, but gradually got worse in most cases. When you shook the clocks it would sometimes stop. It was a shame, it’s a great product besides this, and we wanted to make it work.

1 Like

@tivan Thanks for this info. It’s definitely helpful for our development team. I also have a Mudita Bell & I can hear the mechanism working ONLY when I put the alarm clock right up to my ear. I wonder if it might also have something to do with how sensitive your hearing is. I have a friend who can hear when her apartment neighbor crumples paper. Her hearing is almost bionic LOL She could also hear my Mudita Bell “working:” from two meters away. So when I was recommending an alarm clock to her, I said to get the Mudita Harmony because it’s completely silent.

1 Like

Hi @urszula, thanks for the response. My partner and I both noticed the sounds from the clocks. I bought two, and I could hear hers from my side of the bed and vice versa. The sounds gradually got worse. I wouldn’t say my or her hearing is particularly sensitive.

So unfortunately in our case, I think it was an issue with our clocks. Because of this we will move to the Harmony instead though would have preferred to have stuck with a (silent) Bell.

2 Likes

I really like this alarm clock but after 13 months its almost useless. The battery doesn’t hold charge, there is a strange crackling sound when it’s plugged in and the alarm didn’t always go off. I’ve tried resetting it but that fails. I am really disappointed with how much this cost me and how long it’s lasted.

1 Like