Mudita Bell Reviews

Addition to my review:

• The battery seems to last a long time, which is great if you want to be cordless.
  • For the main button: the difference between down (= deep press / alarm off) and up (= alarm on) is a bit hard to determine in the dark. In the dark you don’t see the orange band (indicates alarm on when visible) so the only way to check if the alarm is on is to feel it. Right now that’s a bit hard, because the button is too short to feel the difference.
3 Likes

I know the feeling as a dog owner myself :wink:

1 Like

I also prefer the analogue Bell over the e-ink Harmony, because it looks better. But I also ordered the Harmony because of some nice extra features the Harmony has in addition to the Bell.

My ideal clock would be the looks of the Bell (analogue) combined with all the features of the Harmony.

1 Like

How loud is it?

I am considering whether getting the e-ink one or the analog one. I don’t need the features from Harmony, just need the alarm clock to be quiet as that really irritates me when I can’t sleep.

1 Like

It’s completely silent. The mechanics don’t produce any sound.

1 Like

@oaktree
I just posted my comparison post in a separate thread:

I received my Bell about two weeks ago. The day-to-day experience with it has been mostly positive. I love the idea of this product and how it executes the philosophy of making technology more human-friendly. I have had one fairly negative experience with the device which unfortunately darkens my view of it, but I’ll come to that later.

Things I like:

• The construction seems to be of fairly good quality. I like the knob and button system that Mudita has chosen as it is intuitive and sturdy.
  • The simple clock face is exactly what is needed for a simple device like this - it doesn’t try to be anything it’s not and that’s wonderful.
  • The user interface is simple without being frustrating to use. A quick skim of the user guide told me all I need to know about using the shallow and deep press system on the main button as well as the functions of the secondary buttons.
  • The sounds are pleasant and the speaker quality is high for a compact device like this.
  • The light and sound fade-in is pretty much perfect in my opinion.

Things I don’t like:

• Both knobs on the back are too short and difficult to get a solid grasp on without holding the entire clock in the other hand. Making the knobs protrude by even just a few more millimeters would be great.
  • It would be nice to have a very soft backlight that can be toggled on or off, so that the clock face is faintly visible at night. I don’t want to have to reach over and press a button to see the time, and never mind that my wife on the other side of the bed can’t reach it at all.
  • There have been a few times I have tried to set the alarm time to 6:30 a.m., when the time is currently 7:00 p.m., and the alarm has been activated a few minutes later. I understand there is an analog mechanism with certain tolerances working behind the scenes here, but a full half-hour difference between the analogues of the current time and alarm time should be enough for the alarm to not trigger immediately, in my opinion.
  • The other morning, the light came on at the alarm time and no sound played. Thankfully I woke up to the light on its own. After deactivating the alarm I found I was unable to adjust settings or turn on the light. I tried unplugging the clock and plugging it back in to see if the battery indicator sound would play, but it did not. I had to perform a factory reset while the clock was unplugged in order to get the device working again. I cannot stress enough how much this erodes my confidence in the device as a wake-up alarm. One of my primary motivations for buying the Bell was to remove as much digital technology from my bedroom as possible, and now I feel that I need to bring my smartphone back into the room to use as a backup alarm. Very disappointing.

With everything else aside from my last complaint, I think it’s a solid device with a few little hiccups here and there. I recognize that this is a new product so some bugs are inevitable, and I want Mudita to know that they are absolutely on the right track here, but the issue with the alarm sound not playing and then the device becoming frozen until a factory reset is very problematic.

1 Like

I had this experience once. In my case it was caused by turning the alarm knob in the wrong direction (= not in the direction the arrows on the knobs indicate). Even a tiny/slight correction in the wrong direction might trigger this problem.

When I reset the alarm time by using the right direction I didn’t had the problem anymore.

This is a problem that all mechanical clocks can face. Mechanical clockworks just need more care by its user.

1 Like

Mechanical clockworks just need more care by its user.

I have been quite cautious to never turn the knob in the wrong direction. Perhaps it was slightly counter-rotated by a couple of degrees as I was grabbing it? Maybe - I can’t say for sure. I will probably still have to keep a backup alarm set for the next little while to regain confidence in the mechanism. Still, if it was an issue with the mechanics of the clock, I am still surprised that the entire device had to be factory reset as a result. As I said in my post, nothing worked at all after the incident until I performed a factory reset.

1 Like

I have a question about shipping (I hope it’s not deemed nonsensical). I have previously pre-ordered the Harmony but I was thinking of ordering the Bell as well; If I order the Bell now is it possible for it to be placed on the order of the Harmony when that ships ? Or will I need to pay for shipping separately? I don’t mind waiting in order to get them both at the same time if that would impact the shipping cost in my favor.

1 Like

@skilletsauce I can give you a FREE shipping code so you can order the Mudita Bell & they can both be shipped together. Let me know if you would like that option.

Thank you so much! I would definitely like that option!

1 Like

Hello @jdrempel :smile:
Thank you so much for you feedback and honest review. Happy to hear your overall experience with Mudita Bell was positive and you are satisfied with main features. We are constantly working on improving our products, your feedback will be passed to our Design Team. I’m sorry you faced some issues with your alarm clock, we will highlight it to our team. If it would happen again, do not hesitate to contact us at support@mudita.com and i’m more than sure we will be able to help.
All the best! :relaxed:

3 Likes

@skilletsauce Here’s a promo code for ordering additional items to an already existing order: ShipItFree2

Thank you very much!!! I will add the Bell to my existing order!

1 Like

@skilletsauce PS: the code is valid until Monday Jan 24th

1 Like

Hi Urszula, i also bought a mudita Harmony and would love to buy a bell. I used the free shipping code you provided, but it says it expired. Maybe it is because I am on pacific time?

1 Like

@expresoxp Let me get you another one :smiley:

@expresoxp I just extended ShipItFree2 for another week so, feel free to order now.

1 Like

D.mn, I wish I had this offer when I ordered the Harmony (now in pre-order; on hold) 4 weeks after the Bell …

1 Like