MMS Capabilities?

I realize Mudita will have SMS capabilities, but I’m curious if it will also have MMS capabilities, like picture texting/emojis/GIFs? I know this would be limited by the e-ink screen, but I’m just curious.

3 Likes

Hi @Sam_Guzman, Mudita Pure won’t have MMS capabilities.

1 Like

Hi Tiffany.

Thanks for everything you’re doing.

As a follow up, is the lack of MMS a restriction of content display or protocol?

I’ve had had some handsets reject (seemingly) plain text messages that were sent by other parties as MMS. Is the plan to block such a message altogether or just strip the incompatible content from the text?

1 Like

I am so curious what will happen when somebody sends to me MMS if Mudita Pure doesn’t have MMS capabilities.

1 Like

from previous experience, you will likely receive a message that has some coding type characters, and the phone number who sent the mms will be in that coding somewhere

2 Likes

Hey,
Thanks for reaching our with your questions!
I can confirm that @joel is correct. What you will see when someone sends you an MMS are small, empty squares.
But, you will be able to send emoticons. ; - )

2 Likes

Thanks for answer. So Multimedia Message will disappear in the middle of nowhere and we won’t able to see it when connected to internet or via desktop app?

Hi @lara,
As to talk about MMS, if someone sends you a long text message at MMS, it will be divided into a few SMS. If a photo is sent to you, you will now receive an empty SMS.
We are working to ensure that these messages are not lost forever.

Have a great day,
Joanna

2 Likes

Hi,
Is there any update you can share on this ? Whilst happy to forgo sending MMS, receiving them it is definitely something i’m going to miss, having pictures of my family shared to me over MMS especially in these present times where it can be hard to travel to see family due to lockdowns and travel restrictions.
Is the reason for not having MMS capabiltiies due to technical restrictions, or is it more aligned to the philosophy of the (minimalist) phone ?
Regards

1 Like

@rumpole It’s actually both reasons. First of all, it is our philosophy of delivering a simple, minimalist mobile phone. Second, our cellular module doesn’t support MMS and second - without a camera & color screen it’s hard to display and send an MMS containing pictures. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I currently use the Punkt MP01, its a sms only phone. When someone send me a mms, I sometimes get a sms with the mmsc server address, the port and message tag.
Other times I get a message with a temporary http address and a code, where my SP let me view the mms on a computer.

2 Likes

It depends on the carrier. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Indeed it does. It would be nice with a uniform standard though, kind of like an “inbox” tied to your phone number, which you could log in to from your computer and view your message history, text and mms.
It should of course be an optional service, since not everyone would want their communications to be stored online.

1 Like

I will share this idea with my team. :slight_smile: For sure if it will be possible to do, we will have it implemented. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

https://support.thelightphone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360053145872-Image-Messages Thats how the light phone handles MMS for instance Forwarding Images to Email

Image forwarding is a setting in which all incoming MMS messages (images / videos) are automatically forwarded to the email address associated with your Light Account.

NOTE: By default, images will not forward to your email, you must turn this feature ON in the settings. of the light phone! I blocked my email address from the light phone screen shot and had my dad send me a mms to test it on the phone i see a pic of an empty picture to know a mms was sent then i can view it when im at home at my laptop or tablet. image|317x499

Maybe mudita could do the same this way we wont miss MMS pics and videos its the one thing ill miss going from light phone to my mudita pure phone

And thats how it looks on the phone when i see that i know to check my email when i get home and see the MMS messages i got i made a special email address i use just to receive the MMS messages this way my regular email dosent get clogged up with em

3 Likes

@jameshjacksonjr This is definitely an interesting option. Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

This would be a great option to have!

1 Like