Mindfulness in Work Periods

I’ve been spending a lot of time thinking about myself when working. It is not how it sounds. Since reading some of your blog posts, I’ve been trying to figure out how to focus on my job.
Some days, I get loads of work done with nearly 0 down time. Those days, I usually eat saltines crackers at my desk and apples while working.
Some days, a get not as much done, but what I do do is important.
Other days, I can’t seem to focus at all and I think I did everything I had to do without even touching any thing I had to do.

What’s up with that?
How do you focus on work? Do you do short of long spurts?

4 Likes

Hey @NikiP! I’m actually been working on my focus on work at work, too.

What works best for me is working between 60 -100 minutes. As my first task, I’ll just pick the one I am most excited about. By choosing a task of my preference, I get excited and wake up along the way.
Once my focus time is up, I take a break. I’ve stopped timing my breaks because I’ve noticed increased pressure on working longer. Just 5 more minutes, etc, won’t do my any good if I have reached my limit.
I have a mental to-do list, which I’ve been meaning to bring to paper, that I keep across 4 digital files (I do not recommend doing this).
This is what I’ve concluded works best for me after spending 2 weeks with the Pomodoro timer and making digital checklists. While the second works fine, 25 minute focus periods with break in between left me without do anything those days. I also work on whatever I am most excited about in the morning. This wakes me up, pumps my blood, and gets the adrenaline going.

Just keep listening to your body and you will figured it out.

2 Likes

@NikiP It’s important to remember that if you can’t focus on one task, you should switch to another if possible, depending on the kind of work you do.

Taking breaks is important, so in terms of snacking at your desk, it might be a good idea to do it more mindfully. Don’t snack whilst working, work then snack, then return to work.

Mindfulness is very much about doing one thing at a time or monotasking, rather than multitasking. It’s about remaining in the present moment.

This article on how to work more mindfully might help you.

3 Likes

Thanks for advice! I will try it soon

3 Likes

Hope I helped!

2 Likes

I know this is an old post… but I can relate!! Were you able to find any hacks, tricks or habits to bring focus back into the working hours?

1 Like

@mindful321 Check out one of our blogs about some interesting books on focus & productivity:

3 Likes

Much appreciated!

1 Like