Mind reading smartphones/computers

Hello everyone this is a SERIOUS post.
For the last 5-6 years, I’ve been experiencing something I cant explain. Its seems as if Google, facebook, instagram, youtube, has some sort of mind reading technology or they’re able to pick up on our most random and deepest thoughts. Its a bit scary and I’ve been experiencing this every single day now. Ive found lots of people talking about it on forums and have seen a few videos on the topic but not too many. I would love to hear about whether or not anyone here has been experiencing this. This was a big part of why I deleted my social media and got rid of my smart phone. PLEASE do not say this is just algorithms. Ive heard this argument and it just does not explain how my most deepest and random thoughts pop up in ads, something Ive never talked about to anyone or searched.

2 Likes

@tjordanp
Thanks for your post. I think many people on this forum understand your concerns and think it’s completely valid to question technology, especially when it impacts your privacy and well-being.

Your experience is not unique; many individuals have reported similar feelings and observations about online advertisements and content recommendations.

While your skepticism towards the “just algorithms” argument is understandable, it’s crucial to remember that these platforms utilize extremely advanced data analytics and prediction models.
I actually wrote about something similar awhile back.

https://mudita.com/community/blog/the-algorithm-effect-how-algorithms-influence-our-decisions/

https://mudita.com/community/blog/the-lure-of-geolocation/

These models can aggregate data from numerous sources (like browsing history, likes, shares, location, and even the time you spend looking at a particular post) to make eerily accurate predictions about what might interest you.
Sometimes, these predictions can coincide with your current thoughts or recent offline conversations, creating a feeling that the platforms are reading your mind.
I’ll share my own example with you, which I thought was pretty weird and I actually thought that the phone was listening to me. (which it might have been for all I know).

My car was at the mechanic & they called me to tell me what was wrong with it & how much it would cost me to fix. My uncle is also a very good car mechanic, but he lives half way across the country, so I generally get my car fixed closer to home. However, I always check with him to make sure I don’t get ripped off. So after the mechanic called me, I texted my uncle and he called me back to explain that the price was fair and I can tell them to start fixing the car.
After I got off the phone with my uncle, I called the car mechanic back & told them to go ahead & fix the car.

The next time I opened my laptop, all I saw were ads related to cars: dealerships, mechanics, auto parts etc. It was really weird.

People speculate that apps might be “listening” to our conversations. While there have been concerns and rumors about this, investigations into this claim haven’t produced conclusive evidence. Major platforms like Facebook have denied using ambient listening for ad targeting. So, I can give them the benefit of the doubt, but there maybe something to it.

However, one of the biggest culprits of data harvesting is Google Maps. Location data is one of the most powerful sources of information for platforms aiming to personalize ads by profiling users. By knowing where a user goes, platforms can infer a lot about their habits, interests, and preferences. For example, if a user frequently visits gyms, they might be interested in fitness-related content, offers, or products. If they often go to cinemas, they might be a movie buff. By understanding where you shop and where you go in the real world, platforms can profile you so they can give you more tailored online content. Let’s say you visit a particular clothing store, you might later see online ads for their e-commerce site or for similar stores in a similar price range.
Even where you work or where you live impacts the stuff you see.

In my case, this was very evident.
I searched for mechanics in my area on google the day prior.
Called a few
Made an appointment
Got in my car & drove to said appointment
Took public transport to work that day
Took public transport back home.
In the meantime, I spoke to the mechanic & then got a second opinion for another mechanic.

Just from my movement, searches & phone data, it’s clear that my car was broken and at the mechanic. Hence, all the car related ads.
That’s why it’s essential for users to be aware of which apps have access to their location data, and they should review and manage app permissions regularly.

These days, our data is the currency of the digital age, that why it’s always important to have conversations about privacy, technology, and the impact they have on our lives. Thank you for bringing this up, and I hope this provides some clarity.

2 Likes

It’s natural to be concerned about online privacy, but it’s important to clarify that the phenomenon you’re describing is not necessarily a result of mind-reading technology. Instead, it’s often attributed to algorithms and data collection methods used by these platforms to target ads. While it can sometimes seem uncanny, it’s typically based on your online behavior and interests, not your thoughts. It’s good to be cautious and protect your online privacy, as you’ve done by deleting social media and using a basic phone. However, understanding how online advertising works can help demystify some of these experiences.

1 Like
2 Likes

@kirkmahoneyphd This is super scary because these days having online access to for your medical care is the norm. Here in Poland, we have this “Patient account” for the national health care system and literally everything is there. Your prescriptions, when you went on sick leave & for how long. Back during the covid saga, the portal kept all your covid test info (if you were required to be on quarantine etc) & vaccine info, and you could print out those GREEN passes that we were required to have when we were traveling around Europe.
We really can’t opt of it.

1 Like

Amazon now offers a prescription-delivery service to its USA customers. I do not know how successful that service is in competition to other Rx-delivery services. But, I can imagine that many Amazon customers do NOT want Amazon also to handle their prescriptions, as that puts too much personal information in the hands of one organization.

1 Like

This is purely my own experience and understanding - please trust your own instincts when reading this as this info will not feel correct for everyone.

As someone who works within the realm of energy and frequency (not scientifically) I understand your concerns from a different perspective and it’s something I’ve discussed with others but in a different way.
Basically - can human created technology read your mind thoughts? What I currently understand is that it cannot. The way I understand personal energy and frequency interactions operate, this is not something which can be tapped into by human created tech.

Another question is where do thoughts come from - how are they generated?
I’ve recently experienced an amazing journey of near death experience and have much expanded communication with Spirit. Resulting from my personal experience I understand how some thoughts are generated by the body as a direct response to inputs. This is something I recall reading about in some of Nikola Tesla’s writings - during which he refers to the human automaton - I didn’t understand it at the time but do now.
In this way, if there are certain inputs, certain thoughts may be generated - this is a known marketing ploy - I recall hearing about the reasons Macdonalds chose their colours - because they were the best at generating feelings and thoughts of hunger in a human body. Over time, we are ‘trained’ to associate hunger with those colours so each time we see that colour combination in any circumstance, the body generates hunger and thoughts of food.
I know this doesn’t answer your question/concern but I hope it helps in some way… :smiley:

2 Likes

Allow me a moment of amusement, but the irony isn’t lost on me that they can’t seem to ship an ‘author’s copy’ of my book to Denmark for review before publication. With all their resources, you’d think international shipping would be a piece of cake! As I gear up for my book’s second and final edition next year, I’m searching for a better solution to distribute physical copies as a self-published author.

PS: Yes, most of the people will do it for the price of convenience.

2 Likes

@kirkmahoneyphd & @roberto

I honestly don’t understand the allure of AMAZON- outside of the book-selling aspect.
I, legit, can’t remember the last time I ordered anything from Amazon.

I do have Audible, because, I can’t find a suitable alternative, however, I justify that only because I have been with Audible for over 20 years- BEFORE they were acquired by Amazon. LOL

Amazon is not a good company. The FTC just sued them for illegally maintaining monopoly power.

What is so appealing about doing your grocery shopping on AMAZON?

2 Likes

I don’t use Amazon for groceries. I primarily use it for Prime Video and to purchase certain supplements unavailable in Denmark. I prefer not to create accounts on multiple websites for a single product. Professionally, I find Amazon more convenient in terms of marketing and royalties. It also allows other platforms to sell my book, so it’s not exclusive to Amazon. As a beginner in self-publishing, Amazon seems to be an ideal starting point. By the way, I discovered I can get a proof copy from Amazon UK. Therefore, I announce that my second edition will be in a physical book! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I can see why Amazon works for authors and book sellers. That’s how it started. I’m not sure a lot of people know this, but Amazon opened as an online bookseller in 1995.
So, I understand why people use it for book promotions.

2 Likes

I only have a few options in Europe, and most publishers require payment, and I will never pay for my work that has already consumed significant investment in knowledge and time. The same goes for the academic field, where almost everything comes with a hefty price. I don’t support corporatism or elitism, sorry.
Europe needs a substantial influx of investment in innovation across various fields. Mudita will soon lead the way in Europe. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Have you investigated Draft2Digital? It now handles both e-books and print-on-demand books.

https://www.draft2digital.com/faq/

2 Likes

Yes, and I’ve looked into IngramSpark and other similar options. These are US-based companies. There’s a need to navigate bureaucratic tax-related paperwork, and I’ve encountered reviews mentioning compensation transfer issues.

There are also print-on-demand companies in the Netherlands and the UK. However, the printing costs for some color pages—which I require—exceed the book’s selling price. I intend to host the ebook on my website and am only interested in the print version. Amazon is the most straightforward choice in this domain because I’ve already handled all the book formatting and just need to upload the PDF. Also, Amazon’s color page printing is more affordable than other alternatives.

I’ll keep exploring, but Amazon seems like the “safe option” for now.

1 Like

@kirkmahoneyphd Thanks for sharing this. I’m currently working on a book series, so this will be helpful.

2 Likes

They were my first choice. Unfortunately, they don’t yet offer color printing options.

2 Likes