Let's talk Focus & Productivity: Are we productivity machines?

Have we, as humans, been conditioned to be productivity machines?

Personally, I feel useless when I’m not giving 150%. I admit to working on vacation, because, well, that’s just what I do. It’s who I am.
Sometimes I feel that it’s just my AMERICAN mentality, because deep down i’m a capitalist and it’s no secret that high productivity is often correlated with economic prosperity and success, shaping a culture that prioritizes work.

However, according to this article the magic number is 85%

Again, if it’s behind a paywall for you, here’s a link to the audio:

Additionally, there is a growing body of research that underscores the importance of balance, arguing that constant productivity and overwork can lead to burnout, stress, and health issues. In fact, I write about it, A LOT on our blog because THERE IS an ongoing discourse and resistance that challenges these norms and seeks to redefine what it means to lead a fulfilling life.

I’m curious what you guys think? How do you approach time off, work-life balance? Are there times when you just turn off & refuse to do anything work related? How do you do it? SERIOUSLY, I’m genuinely interested? (I’m looking at you @aleksander ) Or are you one of those people who is always ready to jump in?

Let’s talk :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for the question, @urszula! Here are my highlights:

• I never have worked for an employer while on vacation from a job.
  • I always have resented being asked to perform weekend duty as a salaried, weekday employee.
  • I never have agreed to accept an employer-provided “work” cellphone.
  • I often have pushed my employment productivity to nearly the maximum as close-of-business approached on a Friday.
2 Likes

Thanks for this thread @urszula
Actually, I’ve struggled to maintain work-life balance for the larger part of my professional life. Partly because I’d pursue passion careers – working in journalism or TV can make you want to stay connected 24/7.

I started setting boundaries during the first lockdown in 2020, when it seemed as if we were at work aaaall the time (even if there was not so much to do).

For me, the key ingredient turned out to be simple: avoiding factors that’d make me think of work. Turning off email notifications (I used to have it on, working with an intercontinental team, getting pop ups about work emails at night etc.), getting rid of work-related apps from my device, setting restrictions for the ones I can’t or won’t get rid of – so that I’d need to intentionally open it to see if anything’s going on.

So basically it was just about becoming inner-directed (as in David Riesman’s theory) and owning the hell out of your relationship with work.

It’s still a work in progress though, seeing as I haven’t had a full day off since September 17th :joy: (not a dig at Mudita, where my work-life balance is truly respected! :pray: It’s just the joys and sorrows of entrepreneurship)

1 Like

@aleksander Thanks for sharing.
I know you love what you do &you’re passionate about your activities outside of Mudita. So, I have to ask: Do you think of yoga as work?
Personally, when I write, I don’t think of it as 'work" because I actually like it.

1 Like

@urszula I consider yoga my life path.
But teaching yoga is work. Fulfilling and rooted in passion, but work nonetheless. I show up for my students, I need to prepare, and even when I demonstrate, it is not yoga practice. I’m 100% focused on my students, and can’t enter the meditative state of mind and breath. I won’t relax in corpse pose at the end of practice. And so on.

1 Like