Let's talk about TikTok

As you guys probably know, TikTok, like many social media platforms, has faced scrutiny over privacy and security concerns.
These concerns have led various organizations and countries to take measures such as banning the app on government devices or considering broader bans due to security risks.
However, skepticism and scrutiny continue, influencing how users and governments view and regulate the platform.
Now, the US government has given its parent company two options: sell it to an approved buyer or see it banned.
I personally don’t use TikTok, I don’t have an account & never planned on using it, so I don’t really have any skin in the game. However, I’m not sure how I feel about such strong government interference regarding an app.
What do you guys think? I look forward to a productive discussion.

2 Likes

Luckily I also don’t use it.

The interference is about China having more “control” in the western world. And off course… that cannot happen… :face_with_peeking_eye:

But nowadays governments are interfering with more than just that. And that is also one thing that I don` t like.

2 Likes

Facebook, Instagram, Signal, Telegram, Discord, Reddit, YouTube and Twitter are similarly problematic. For example, Facebook has been proven a bad actor again and again (like with the Cambridge Analytica affair).

I very much doubt Signal.
Signal is a very privacy/secure messaging system from Switzerland. One of the most secure messaging apps in the world.

I’m not happy that they’re like “you’ve got to use our servers and you’ve got to use our clients”. I like FOSS platforms like OMEMO :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

No problems. :pray:t3:

Never heard off it to be honest, but it sounds interesting though! :blush: