Let's talk about 5G

The Truth About Mobile Phone and Wireless Radiation by Dr Devra Davis

2 Likes

Blumenthal raises concerns re 5G

1 Like

@ball I’m not sure Blumenthal knows a lot about the things he questions. In the hearings about FB/Instagram he asked Facebook’s global head of safety Antigone Davis: “Will you commit to ending finsta?”
As any person know, “finsta” is a fake INSTAGRAM account- the platform can’t so much to control people from setting up fake accounts.

1 Like

I came across this article today:

Looks like AT&T & Verizon will delay the plans to use C-Band spectrum for 5G wireless services because the aviation industry and the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) have raised concerns about potential interference of 5G with sensitive aircraft electronics like radio altimeters.
What our your thoughts?

I personally don’t like 5G because it messes with weather instrumentation that uses the same frequency. I’ve already felt the effects of stray signals increasing noise on weather sensing systems. I don’t get the hype for why faster is better. My partner is a computer engineer and says it’s mostly a product of efficiency of code writing being less important due to potent computing equipment being cheaper and more readily available (what he means I think is that software optimization is more expensive than throwing more computational equipment into a cellphone) but transmission of data is hampered and slower because of the unnecessarily large data packets.

2 Likes

There is not mainstream pushback against 5G here in the US. Much like some other users mentioned if you are skeptical of it you are most likely to be told that is a ridiculous conspiracy. At least where I am.

My thinking and frustration with it: I think technology and electricity is interesting and fascinating. BUT here I am searching out a dumb phone and found a kick starter in 2018 that has been working to develop one with a low SAR value (woo-hoo right!?) But what is the point if there are towers everywhere and increasing especially with 5G to be on every block in my city, let alone there is a router in every apartment in my complex, and at work, and now in cars!? Where can I escape it!?
I just wish there were more pause in our culture before immediately adapting the newest form of whatever comes up for the pleasure of immediacy and instant pleasure. So many things people want are to make life easier, right? (i.e. smartphones, microwave foods, processed foods, Wi-Fi rampant, amazon) And yet I have to search out and work so much harder to try and live a simpler life without those things. But maybe thats the deficit in culture? People don’t want to work.
Got to venting a bit there, but maybe someone relates.

And the Stolp as a faraday cage!? I like the idea but how about a Stolp for my house? Now I feel like a conspirator :sweat_smile:

A few articles:

Microwave Radiation Coming to a Lamppost hear you

5G and Wireless Technology Health Effects

Podcast: Evidence Against 5G

2 Likes

I’m posting this without judgement here, but if you happen to be one of the people who are worried about 5G, please don’t do something like this:

2 Likes

Phone signals are sent between a phone and a tower. A tower when there’s no phones around using it doesn’t send out as much.

And @urszula, I see it as kind of a silver lining if there are fewer flights. Of course we want medicine transports to work safely and efficiently but overall we could do with a li’l less air travel due to aviation’s climate footprint.

1 Like

Noted. My point was that there is some kind of signal everywhere you go.
“When there are no phones around using it” Interesting but this just doesn’t seem like a scenario in any city :joy:

1 Like

Why do we need 5G on this basic phone? Even on my iPhone I have turned it off, because it drains the battery more quickly and 4G is more than fast enough.

Who does need more than 90 Mbit (current speed of 4G in my location)?

It drives the costs up without any gain, so I don’t think it’s a good idea for the Pure.

2 Likes

@marc67 For simple internet browsing & connecting with people 4G is enough. Mudita Pure is not made for 5G. However, increased digitalization is turning us into a fully networked society at a rapid pace. This means more & more bandwidth is needed. Everything from smart toothbrushes to smart toilets and even smart refrigerators communicating with our phone- internet is everywhere & all of this connection creates a lot of noise. It seems just about everything around us is connected to the web & it’s not necessarily a good thing. Sometimes I just ask myself- How did we get here?

1 Like

Yeah, I know.

I love technology, but have a dumb house. I don’t need to tell my house to turn on the light or close the curtains. I just stand up …

5 Likes

@marc67 Some technology is great, but there are some gadgets out there that defy reason(for me, at least)
For example- Belty- the Smart Belt

https://www.wearbelty.com/

2 Likes

Here’s an article I came across this morning.
United Airlines said the federal government’s current 5G rollout plan would “have a devastating impact on aviation.”

What do you guys think?

3 Likes

Here’s another news bite:
Apparently Verizon and AT&T will delay their rollout of 5G near some airports

1 Like

Would be nice to have 5G apart from 4G/LTE/3G/GSM(2G). So you will be able to disable 5G if you don’t want to use it at all.

oh yes, there are many concerned people over here in America, including California. Many of us are very skeptical and do believe there are significant health issues with wifi in general, and the higher up they go (5g) the more problems we will see. My frustration is also that ‘they’ don’t care what we think, they just want to keep increasing, keep growing, and make more money. That is their concern. Recently, we’re hearing a lot of news about airlines complaining and trying to get it stopped.

2 Likes

@calebsmum I’m not sure if I’m the only one confused about the 5G roll-out. I wrote a pretty in-depth article about it earlier this year & I really tried hard to look at all the information very objectively.
On one hand, with all the IoT technology & practically everything people own is connected to the internet- I get the concept of the need of more bandwidth.
However, when airlines keep warning us that this will cause major disruptions, I’m now, not some sure that this is completely harmless.

3 Likes

Isn’t that the same as for other appliances like PC’s, game consoles and mobile phones in general?

Having said that, there’s a lot of BS going around on the internet. If you trust science then 5G is as safe as 4G. Much safer than the microwave oven in your house.

There was an excellent article written back in 2020:

It’s in Dutch, but translations are one button away …

2 Likes

All rf radiation is harmful to a degree. The severity is often dependent on both the intensity of the rf and the sensitivity of the person. Generally speaking, as the frequency of the rf increases and/or proximity to the source of rf increases, the risks associated with exposure become greater.
Due to the inverse square law, the difference in severity between 5G and 4G is greater than the difference in severity between 4G and 3G, as the short range of 5G mandates more towers in closer range of cellular devices; i.e. shorter distance the source of rf can disproportionately and exponentially increase danger compared to differences in frequency.
So, it is not a surprise that 5G exposure has already been shown to cause new symptoms 4G exposure never caused, even more so than the symptoms 4G exposure introduced that 3G never caused, and so on.

1 Like