Let's talk about 5G

@serge You’ve put it very bluntly, but you do underline the simple fact…the FUTURE is NOW. Big Data = Big Business. IoT is our current reality: A smart TV that knows which shows to record, an espresso machine that alerts your service provider when it requires maintenance, a refrigerator that alerts you when the milk is running low. All those things are powered by data. And if we think that our data is not aggregated , sold & exploited for profit, we’re only fooling ourselves. I covered a bunch of these topics on a couple of blogs I posted recently:

5 Likes

I don’t believe in some conspiracy theories about 5G that increased during all the pandemics. However, we know that some people are more sensible than others to EMF exposure before 5G.

I don’t see the need for fast internet speeds in an ordinary personal phone as 5G will do. I use 3G on my Nokia, and that same speed allows me to work normally on my iPad when I share the internet. So, I believe that 4G would be more than enough for several more years.

I invite you to read these articles.

https://ehtrust.org/small-cells-mini-cell-towers-health-letters-scientists-health-risk-5g/

3 Likes

Had not really given 5g much thought, but in today’s Wall Street Journal there was a special section on it: and one of the major misconceptions being what it is, exactly.
There are currently 3 types of services that fall under the umbrella of 5g with regard to the major carriers: high frequency, mid and low.
And most people aren’t getting anything better than what is currently available at 4glte.
Since high frequency has the shortest range, it requires the most density in terms of towers to be effective and since there really isn’t a “killer app” to drive adoption, it is very likely that high frequency isn’t going to be viable for carriers to invest in for the largest coverage.
Also from what I understand, the mid level frequency, are currently occupied by government agencies and so most carriers don’t have access to them, although auctions are currently ongoing to sell them the rights.
And low frequency is not much better than 4glte.

There is also the idea that high frequency 5g is the new wide-area network and so might get on by companies willing to make their businesses capable of the technology.
Anyway, it seems like a mess right now.

3 Likes

5G is totally unnecessary for cellular phones, particularly one as basic and simple as the Mudita Pure.
MANY people go ballistic when the negative effects of RF radiation are pointed out; they will claim that there is no evidence of physical harm from ANY cellular device, but that is not true. The industry has very deep pockets to pay-off politicians for the suppression of evidence that makes them look bad. Stay away from 5G.
As for me, when we are forced to use 5G or nothing at all, I will do without.

5 Likes

Taking all the info provided by the AWESOME Mudita Community on the Forum I finally published my blog about 5G. Check it out:

1 Like

5G uses a technology called Beamforming, which points the signal from cell towers directly towards your device, thus achieving higher data transfer speeds. Sadly, it can be easily misused for getting a more precise location of your device. All the previous generations (2G, 3G, 4G…) had omnidirectional towers. 5G is well above mine and many other people’s needs, so I won’t be using it.

4 Likes

@john_dumpling Thanks for the feedback :smiley: GPS location tracking is definitely an issue to be concerned about. For that reason, Mudita Pure, is not equipped with a GPS-capable sensor. So even in a 5G environment, I don’t think it will be an issue.

1 Like

Electromagnetism in general has been known to affect biological life. There are an overwhelming amount of examples, I’ll just bring up two. A 10-year study costing $30 million presents clear evidence that exposure to 2G and 3G equivalent electromagnetic radiation causes an increase in the growth of tumors in rats. Queen bees being exposed to GSM radiation (the one we had before 2G) significantly reduces the hatching ratio.

There are countless more examples but I’ll stop there. Seeing as GSM, 2G, 3G, 4G, alternating magnetic fields, electric fields, and more, all have a negative effect on biological life, I feel quite warranted in being skeptical that 5G is “completely harmless”.

6 Likes

@serge @urszula this stuff freaks me out…. and quite frankly infuriates me. IoT is getting wwwaaayyy out of control. I have no doubt that they are using personal information to benefit their company and/or make money. Opting-out/removing yourself shouldn’t be the default, opting in should! And why do they make it soo difficult to opt-out? why is it okay that companies are siphoning information and getting away with it by putting the crazy legal terminology in the smallest of fonts in some hidden space on the website/manual? Boggles my mind.

3 Likes

Beamforming doesn’t rely on GPS, it is built into cell towers. It is a whole new location tracking method (with approx. 2m precision). So now you can be tracked by using 5G (less precisely by 2G-4G), Amazon mesh network (Ring cameras, Alexa speakers, Amazon Sidewalk), Wi-Fi triangulation, Bluetooth mesh network, Apple FindMy network (even if you opt out), regular GPS and more. It’s getting out of hand, along with more radiation in the air.

2 Likes

I know this is the 5G discussion thread- However, I came across this documentary over the weekend. It’s from 2019- I’ve watched it before. The amount of data collection that happens as @mindful321 mentioned is unreal. No company stores more data than Amazon

3 Likes

Regardless of any claims about 5G’s effect on biological processes (I don’t think they’re entirely unfounded, but I don’t know enough to form an opinion), THIS is my biggest beef with the technology. Even if it were 100% safe and non-disruptive to organisms, there is still plenty to get mad about!

2 Likes

@urszula This video……. :woozy_face: :dizzy_face: :exploding_head: :astonished:

1 Like

@mindful321 That’s why I stopped using Amazon to buy stuff about 2years ago. I still have Audible because I LOVE audio books, and I KNOW that that they are an Amazon company. However, I haven’t found a suitable replacement yet. Until I do, I 'm following tips from @kirkmahoneyphd, and I use an OLD HTC smartphone without a sim card & all apps removed- I just use wifi to download the books I need & listen to them on the go.

2 Likes

I don’t mind GMO, I’ve heard some great ideas (like being able to synthesize medical insulin more efficiently). I specifically think glyphosate herbicides and monoculture crops are bad ideas.

1 Like

GSM is 2G.

The 1G was called NMT here in Sweden (other placed had other 1G standards).

NMT was pretty bad according to some of these studies. I’m glad it’s been phased out.

1 Like

Strictly speaking, beaming will in principle allow for less energy use. If you consider a sphere around a tower, and 1000 connected devices, you only have 1000 relatively small beams rather than a broadcast across the entire sphere.

This should allow for lower transmission energy, less waste, and less average energy exposure than a lower frequency global (uni-directional) broadcast. Maybe.

I’m more aware of the general principles of radio transmission than specific 5g devices so I might be talking rubbish (but not intentionally).

3 Likes

Yeah, I think you are right about reduced energy use.

1 Like

Health wise; the higher you go in frequency, the closer you get to light (though at way lower power output), which as we all know doesn’t fry your brain or anything like that, since we all live in the light everyday.

If you think back: people were worried about 3G when it was new, then they were worried about 4G and now they are about 5G and every time we see that especially with the tech getting better, making transmissions more efficient.

If I remember correctly, for example 5G should allow for beamforming; just transmitting into the required direction and not 360 degrees into all directions; further reducing any impact on the user, improving signal and decreasing battery usage.

2 Likes

Wireless Wake-up Call by Jeremy Johnson

2 Likes