Kompakt - Ethical Sourcing?

To the Mudita Kompakt team,

I’m excited for the release of the Kompakt. However, a key factor in if (and if, then when) I buy the phone depends on its environmental profile.

Phones by Fairphone as well as HMD are built to be repairable but also built from more ethical supply chains, using mostly-recycled materials and trying to ensure that components are sourced as ethically as possible, with regard to the environment, species and habitat protection, and avoiding human exploitation through bad mining practices, etc.

This is a key question for me.

I cannot justify moving from my current phone to a new phone unless there’s a minimal environmental, ethical footprint.

Please could you clarify how much of the phone’s components are recycled and also the approaches you’ve taken to make your supply and manufacturing chain as ethical as possible, with a focus on environmental and human protection?

Thank you!

2 Likes

While I value easy repairability, recycling materials are nothing in social aspect that most phones use Chinese/almost slave labour (not saying this for Mudita) to keep prices low and profit high.
There is environmental friendly indicator for phones nowadays, Kompakt just needs to be rated.

1 Like

…are you referring to a Life cycle assessment?

1 Like

Sure! But only if the assessment has meaning. You can tick a load of boxes according to one set of measurements and it really isn’t that big of a deal, like getting B Corp status. Really not that hard and doesn’t mean that much.

2 Likes