Keeping whatsapp on a tablet or PC only?

Hi ! I am a bit annoyed as Whatsapp groups are constantly being used by friends, family, various organisations… (when will Matrix take over the world ?)

I still would like not to have it constantly on my Kompakt (otherwise I keep checking it all the time). It is currently synced with my eink tablet (Boox Max) and my Linux PC.

But if I remove it from the Kompakt I will eventually be locked out of it.

Is there a way to log in on a PC or tablet WITHOUT a smartphone ? (not sync it while it is installed on the phone)

(I could just hide the app from the Kompakt and stop it manually – but it messed with my contacts list and is restarted automatically when I turn on the phone)

Thanks for your help !!

1 Like

Unless I’m mistaken, you have to have a smartphone as your primary device - although this does include tablets, ‘smart’ audio players etc

1 Like

I have it on my pc and my iPhone which I rarely use now, to keep it maintained, but I told everyone, I would only be checking it periodically, and sent everyone a signal invite, when I received a WhatsApp from them. I found this encouraged most people to contact me via signal.

1 Like

Last time I tried, unless I am mistaken, I think I needed a smartphone in order to log in on the tablet ?

1 Like

Yep, it’s not really a problem to keep in touch with individuals, my issue is not having access to groups :-/

1 Like

I haven’t checked but maybe you can emulate Android on your PC and log into your WhatsApp there.

1 Like

Oh ok, maybe just install it on an old phone, and put it in a drawer, I used to wear a garmin smartwatch that pings when a WhatsApp message is received maybe that could work for you

I never really got into group messaging, maybe because I’m not much of a team person🙂, and I won’t have anything work related on

1 Like

google “whatsapp without smartphone” you’ll find a few options

1 Like

This is the exact reason I left whatsapp a few years ago. Whatsapp is like work honestly. Especially if you are part of groups. Getting so many messages from people all day in these groups getting pulled in so many groups with no option of not letting people put you in groups to begin with. So happy I left whatsapp and I would never have it on any of my phones moving forward. I feel bad for people that have no choice but to use whatsapp because sms in other countries because this is literally the only way they can communicate without spending money on sms text messages. To me whatsapp is additive as any app out there. thankfully here in Canada I can still use sms. I remember having whatsapp and looking at so many messages, having to read all the missed ones, catch up with the conversations…BORING. So happy I am free from that hell.

3 Likes

There is always choice, only PAYG phone phone contacts come without SMS bundled with them. But SMS is not a very good alternative, it is old and not secure by its nature, I use a hardened fork of signal called Molly.

The only reason I keep whatsapp on my PC is I have a couple of older family members who insist on messaging me via whatsap, I decline any work related whatapp groups, and any other work related apps or groups.

you can take yourself out of / leave whatapp groups, if someone puts you in one that you dont wish to be in.

My personal device is for my personal use not work. Kompakt makes this easier actually, I just say to anyone asking me join groups or install apps “my phone cant do that, look it doesnt even have a colour screen” they usually say “ok” and find me an alternative method then :slightly_smiling_face: .

3 Likes

I don’t think you have to use a smartphone. When you launch Whatsapp for the fiste time on your tablet, press the three-dots-menu and select someting like “create a new account”, then you can enter the phone number of your already existing account, and connect to it. The table should be your main device, and you should be disconnected on the phone.

2 Likes

I work at a yoga studio and it’s my first time in a long time to have to use WhatsApp to maintain with the group. I absolutely don’t like it and would love an option to have it but not on the smartphone.

2 Likes

I’ll try to remove Whatsapp from the phone and see if I manage to keep it on the tablet only (or Android emulator). In the past, I didn’t manage to log in on the tablet but maybe I overlooked something !

2 Likes

Alright, I managed to install it under an Android emulator under Linux (Waydroid). I don’t know, though, if I shouldn’t take the opportunity to ditch it completely…

1 Like