Is VoLTE implemented with the Mudita Pure outside the US?

I’m using the Pure for a good week now as my main and only phone. I live in Switzerland and I wasn’t worried about the Signal Reception here, mostly because I worked for the three big Providers before in Switzerland and I planned lots of new Antennas for the 5G Rollout.

While the Signal Reception is OK when idle, it was never so low that it lost connection. And during Calls I almost always end up with the full Reception, because of the way Antennas work and how the phone works.

But I still wonder why I could never make calls using VoLTE? I read in the Mudita Pure OS Release Notes 1.5.0 that the support for the US got added. This made me thinking, maybe the European support vor VoLTE hasn’t rolled out yet because I couldn’t find any other Notes about VoLTE?

Maybe it’s just a thing with the Provider, but then again, my Signal Reception is really good! Sometimes when I make calls the VoLTE Text shortly flashes and vanishes again next to the Reception.

4 Likes

@nanomaron That was a test roll-out & it was rolled out rather quickly for our US Mudita Pure users only because it was announced there was a sundown of 3G services in the US. This meant that without 3G, they would not be able to use their phone. So far, the response on the rollout has been quite positive, so, now, our team is looking at options to make it available for everyone.

5 Likes

Luckily there’s a bit more time here in Switzerland. They will shut down 3G completely and 4G calling without VoLTE in 2025. MMS got already shutdown in 2021 or 2022.

Can’t wait for VoLTE to release because the call quality gets a huge bump!

3 Likes

Are you saying that Switzerland now forbids cellular networks there from providing Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS)?

3 Likes

Ah no, but the big Providers here don’t offer MMS Service anymore (more specific Swisscom), because it hasn’t been really used for over 10 years.

Why send an expensive MMS with poor Quality when you can send a WhatsApp for free with better quality? 99.9% of people use WhatsApp in Switzerland. Sending a SMS or MMS isn’t even regarded as something you can do here.

So if you want to use MMS specifically then you got to find a Provider offering that.

5 Likes

Just a quick note to say we are going to need VoLTE in the UK (and also EU?) very soon.

The UK networks are switching-off 3g services over the course of this year, with certain parts of the UK already disconnected.

Legacy 2g services are going to be switched-off “by 2033” - which at first glance gives us the impression of up to a decade of 2g coverage, but in practise I strongly suspect the switch-off will happen across most networks and regions much sooner. Market-dynamics and smartphone manufacturers will almost-certainly drive that.

As a result, the Pure will need to have VoLTE activated for the UK region very soon. Fortunately, in the short-term, 2g still works, but I’d be rather unhappy if the Pure relied-on this, as I’d be looking to keep the Pure for a long time and lack of 4g-calling would potentially hinder this.

3 Likes

@forest_cat GREAT question. Personally, I was not aware that the UK was going to sundown 3G. I will definitely pass this on to our team & get some answers as to what the plans are.

1 Like

Here in Germany, 3G has already been switched off. 2G is supposed to continue for the time being, but you can already see how the network coverage is apparently getting worse and worse. The Voice over LTE function in Pure should therefore already be on the priority list for the development of software updates.

2 Likes

@marko Thank you for the feedback. I will pass this on to the team.

1 Like

It looks like the major networks in Poland are also scheduled to shut down 3G in April of this year, 2023. That’s next month according to this article https://tvn24.pl/biznes/z-kraju/t-mobile-i-orange-wylaczenie-sieci-3g-w-polsce-od-kiedy-po-co-kto-musi-wymienic-karte-sim-wyjasniamy-6796283
What are the plans for volte in Poland after April?

1 Like

This is very interesting! I thought Switzerland was early by 2025 but it seems we’re giving it some time. It looks like VoLTE has to release with the next Update!

Thanks everyone for tuning in! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@nanomaron Our team is currently evaluating the VoLTE issue & I’ll be back with an update shortly.

2 Likes