Interesting uses of AI

I just went to my local Lidl grocery store & I saw this: I’m not sure if this is just a marketing ploy or if this is real.
It’s a Limited Edition COKE ZERO with a unique taste that is described as:

The taste is inspired by the future. Co-created by AI.

I have to admit, I’m curious about how this tastes, but I refuse to buy this.

Would you try it?

1 Like

I would try it, but I do not understand how something can be “inspired” by the future.

2 Likes

@kirkmahoneyphd I think the idea behind it is that AI can now be use to create ‘TASTE & FLAVOR’ which, I have to admit, I find problematic.

1 Like

@aleksander What do you think of this? Are you running out to Lidl to get some cans LOL

1 Like

I had it already. I don’t really taste much difference between this and other limited series, or the original.
Also I haven’t really analysed what ‘made with ai’ means, I suppose it’s mostly marketing?

Do any other “interesting” uses of AI come to your mind? :slight_smile:

1 Like

t1000

2 Likes

@roberto Your GIF had me laughing out loud. I love the movie Terminator 2 & Robert Patrick played T-1000 so well!
Back in 1991, we thought this was science fiction…32 years later…It’s closer than we think.

2 Likes

While not identical to the technology depicted in the movie, I believe the next significant advancement in AI will be within the military and its related fields. Why? It’s due to the inherent human political tendency to destroy rather than to build.

2 Likes

I 100% agree. That’s why I own stock in Palantir Technologies :slight_smile:

1 Like

What jumped out at me regarding ‘co-created by AI’ is the design on the can. It seems clearly computer generated and frankly, disjointed. It makes me squint to try to see it clearly which is how I feel about AI (generally speaking). It’s not easy to see it clearly - and seems to be deliberately designed in this way - to create confusion.

I wonder… inspired by WHO’s future?

2 Likes

I know this is not a very interesting use of AI- we’ve discussed this before, however, this article really made me stop & think.

The truth is: while these AI girlfriends can offer companionship, they might also further isolate individuals.
If AI companions become more mainstream, they will definitely reshape societal norms around relationships and companionship.

As AI technology advances, will the line between virtual and real relationships become even more blurred, and what are the potential consequences of this?

They may offer companionship, but they are, as the initialism “AI” reminds us, offering artificial companionship. In contrast, real human relationships are richer and more complex. For example, each of us has expectations that a partner will not always meet. My impression is that each of these AI girlfriends by design does not come with a unique set of expectations that it will try to impose on the owner. In contrast, part of the beauty of real human relationships is the growth that ensues from expectations not always being met and the subsequent negotiations that partners must make with one another to deepen those relationships.

2 Likes

Who would try this?
The medical privacy implications seem HUGE…

Alphabet is still pushing the long-discredited COVID-19 “information” from the United States Centers for Disease Control & Prevention in a blurb beneath that YouTube video to those of us who view that video in the USA.

That “Get the latest…” blurb told me right away that this is not for me.

Beyond that, here are three losing propositions for me:

1. It requires a smartphone app.
  2. It shows a woman smiling while she ignores where she is walking so that she can look at the app on her smartphone. (“Um, pay attention to where you are walking!” and “What is SO important that you must look at your smartphone while walking?”)
  3. It is dehumanizing, by removing the personal interaction with a doctor.

Rite Aid has been hit with a five-year ban on the use of AI facial recognition technologies after the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) said the retail pharmacy chain “failed to implement reasonable procedures and prevent harm to consumers” across hundreds of stores.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/rite-aid-banned-using-ai-facial-recognition-2023-12-19/

1 Like
1 Like

@kirkmahoneyphd Here’s something even scarier: I watched an interview with some law enforcement personel & they said that AI is now being abused by criminals to create child SA imagery, which is technically very hard to prosecute because the children in the images don’t actually exist. It’s AI generated.
However, there is some good news as well:

1 Like

@roberto This made me think of you:

Can AI be used to understand and potentially translate animal communication?

As a dog owner, this is one use of AI I could actually get behind.

1 Like

I’m skeptical it could ever achieve that level. It might grasp certain communication patterns, akin to what ethologists have always endeavored to do. Our knowledge remains quite limited. I also have numerous ethical concerns about this, particularly regarding the methods used to accomplish these goals ( means to an end).

1 Like

I would love to discuss this further. Are you concerned that animals will be in ‘unnatural settings/ captivity’ so they could be studied? Or is it more along the lines that these unsuspecting creatures would be put through unnecessary tests which wouldn’t really accomplish anything super groundbreaking. In the same way, the push buttons used with dogs are not really “communication tools” because they only result in a Pavlovian response?