I kind of built an e-ink app for the weightlifters - introducing Grunchy

Hello everyone!

I’m happy to share with you a workout tracker I built for the Mudita Kompakt using AI. Before you groan at me for the use of AI, I can’t actually code and I couldn’t wait for someone to build this, so Deepseek did a pretty decent job. I hope you enjoy it as much as me, here is some info:

The app is designed to minimize typing so you can log everything with one hand using dropdowns and buttons, whilst you move about the gym and so on.

Choose your desired rep-ranges, weight pickers and whether you prefer kg or lbs in settings. Then, either start a freestyle workout (unplanned) and start logging your exercises and sets, or create a lasting routine which you can start over and over again. Once you complete your workout, it is saved under History. Your best sets are calculated and an estimated 1RM is inferred from them, which is then used to draw a graph to give you a visual idea of your progress!

For some reason, I can’t upload images here, so head over to github to see more: githubcom/madnessofdoubt/grunchy (add the necessary full stop as the forum doesn’t allow links to github? really?)

EDIT: Forgot to mention the best feature. once you’ve logged a set, next time you perform it, it will show you what you did as your top set last time so you can try to beat it and do progressive overload.

I’d love to hear if you guys actually might use this and how you might improve it. There might be a few remnants of AI slop in the app and I’m committed to eradicating them, let me know if you see something in that sense.

Best,

Stan

1 Like

This is great. I’ll try it out over the next couple of weeks.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing the app and the transparency! While I’m not keen on using AI, I was wondering if one could set up a simple offline app with the MMD framework… it looks that way!

I’d be curious to hear what devs in the forum think about this and if there are any recommendations for noobs who’d like to get started on creating MMD apps (only for personal use, nothing fancy), and learning a thing or two about coding in the process?

1 Like

I suggest using hermes agent, plugging in a deepseek api because its cheap, tell it what you want and then tweak it.

2 Likes