High Body SAR vs Head SAR value

Hi there, I noticed in the Specs that the head SAR value and the body SAR value are substantially different. The body SAR value in the US is higher than the iphone. Can someone explain why the head and body value is so different when it seems to be pretty similar for other phones. Thank you!

9 Likes

I see this as probably the most important issue for Mudita to address. I’m sure many buyers value the lifestyle aspects of the Pure enough. But, for me, its touted low SAR stands head and shoulders above its other features. I like many things about the Punkt MP02 and Light Phone II. But, I don’t see the point of getting a dumb phone that still doubles as a pocket microwave.
I understand the Pure’s low head SAR rating is the result of lots of technical innovations, which is great. I’ve still yet to read up on all of it.
However, I think there’s a decent sum of people unaware of other manufacturers’ low radiation tech. Rightfully so, just about all of the companies could care less. But, up until recently with all this 5G crap, Samsung did employ interesting low radiation tech. They put a lot of unusual effort into keeping SAR ratings unusually low via antennae that directs most RF energy away from the user. For example, the Galaxy S8+ SD835 has among the lowest ratings of any smartphone. 0.16 head, 0.46 body. Its ratings are lower than most dumb phones, both new and old.

3 Likes

Now, let’s go back to OP’s question: why are the head and body ratings so different when it seems pretty similar for other phones? From what I can tell, drastically different head and body ratings are likely caused by different parts of the device emitting more radiation than others. For example, the antennae near the earpiece could be designed to redirect rf energy away from the user’s head. But, the other antennae within the phone do not and/or other parts like the processor simply direct more energy at the user. I believe this is what was happening to Samsung’s “10 series” of phones before transitioning to 5G. Great head SARs, terrible body SARs. The modem being integrated with the processor probably made radiation harder to maintain. Then, of course, everything went downhill with their 5G…
Still, probably the best example of a smartphone with drastically different head and body ratings is the European variant of the Samsung Galaxy Note 8- a top-tier 0.17 head rating vs. an atrocious 1.29 body rating.

4 Likes

What does this all mean? I think the primary takeaway is that the SAR system of rating radiation is likely considerably flawed. EMF Academy said it well:

First of all, these SAR standards were set almost 25 years ago, when cell phones, and our understanding of the dangers of EMF radiation, were far different.
Secondly, SAR standards are only designed to protect users from the dangers of the heat generated by microwave radiation. These standards do not account for the non-ionizing radiation that we now know is harmful, especially via long-term exposure.
SAR ratings also don’t really give us a real-world example of the radiation emitted or absorbed, since this will be largely determined by the person using the phone, how the phone is being used, apps on the device, etc.
In fact, the FCC on their website admits that: “ cell phones constantly vary their power to operate at the minimum power necessary for communications; operation at maximum power occurs infrequently. Consequently, cell phones cannot be reliably compared to their overall exposure characteristics on the basis of a single SAR value.
I find it very odd that the Galaxy Note 8 has such a terrible body rating compared to the Galaxy S8+. Something tells me they are not so different in the real world.

The SAR conundrum puts Mudita in a tough position. Either they-
a. Discuss the flaws of SAR ratings in general, potentially devaluing the Pure’s super low head rating.
b. Explain why head SAR matters more than body SAR
or
c. Simply admit that the Pure is only exceptionally low radiation at the head, and recommend EMF protective clothing for carrying the Pure in a pocket.
None of those options are easy by any stretch. All that said, I wish this project the best. Smartphones are still full of issues well beyond their radiation, so having a well-designed, simple phone like the Pure is very welcome.

4 Likes

Would you please suggest how to convert the SAR readings that you indicated to uW/M2 as these are the measurements provided by Safe and Sound Pro II meter? https://safelivingtechnologies.com/products/safe-and-sound-pro-ii-rf-meter.html:

" Mudita Pure while connecting to SBTK, achieved the following results:

• Within impulse max 1 V/m
  • During a call it averaged between 30 to 100 microW/m2"
3 Likes

My take and you can cross-check with safelivingtechnologies site, SAR head vs body is less relevant because you would need to know a total (overall) SAR. If one value is higher than the other, just take that highest and this is your exposure because radiation travels across.

3 Likes

The studies I have seen, focuses on three potential areas all in or in the proximity of the head.

1. Glioma (brain tumor) 2. Acoustic neuroma (hearing nerve tumor) 3. Thyroid gland tumors. Multiple antennas in the cellphones with some located at the base is sometimes described as a potential risk for the third type of tumors.
    The only studies I have seen on cell phone body radiation is on rats, in wich around 3% developed tumors of the exposed control group, compared to 0% in the non exposed group.

Conclusions?
More studies are needed.

4 Likes

@dmccole14 @private My apologies for the delayed response on this post. I’m not sure how it slipped past me.
Mudita Pure has the lowest SAR value for the head, as our heads are one of the most sensitive parts of our bodies and should be protected.

The telephone was designed to minimize the effect of electromagnetic radiation on humans, however, it must generate electromagnetic radiation in order to work, so it is always recommended to use headphones or loudspeakers. In simple terms, the intensity of the radiation decreases inversely proportional to the square of the distance, i.e. doubling the distance weakens the radiation four times.

• It is important to note that the highest value for the body of 1.13 W/kg occurs when the phone is connected to a computer, tethering and providing a data/internet signal. It is highly unlikely that the phone is being held in someone’s hand during that time or touching any specific body part.
  • 0,95 W/kg is the highest SAR (BODY) value when the phone is used only for making phone calls (not sharing internet)
    Hopefully this information helps. If I can clear anything else up, please let me know.
    Please note that The SAR values reported for mobile phones tend to significantly overstate real-life exposure levels, as models of phones are tested at maximum power levels under laboratory conditions to ensure that they comply. Mobile phones rarely operate at maximum power levels during everyday use. In order to avoid network interference, improve battery life and available call time, mobile phones constantly adapt to the minimum power required to make and maintain a call.
4 Likes

Dear Ursula, please i would like to be informed, how was separation distance in milimetres from which has been measured 0,95 W/kg SAR (BODY) value and SAR HEAD value of Mudita Pure?

And would be possible to keep information about separation distance in milimetres from which was phone measured also on your website? Maybe it would be usefull also for others.

Thank you very much.

3 Likes

Dear Cizeta, i was curious about low SAR head and body of Galaxy S8+ SD835, but i could not able to find how was separation distance (mm or cm) of SAR measurement for this mobile phone. Many vendors in past were showing nice SAR values below 0.5 W/kg, but they did not present, that these nice values were measured at 15 mm distance.

I´m mostly searching for SAR and separation distance here in France national agency database: https://data.anfr.fr/anfr/visualisation?id=ad8014ec-f631-450e-a259-799188714ef9

3 Likes

Kamilb, I’m not sure where to find that either. Are you sure there isn’t a standard distance manufacturers use for measuring SAR? If there isn’t, it would make the data a whole lot less useful.

3 Likes

What is the body SAR rating? Not finding that and they claim it may be different if you aren’t using it through T Mobile

3 Likes

@cherry We have the SAR reports published on our website. SAR Checker
Scroll down to here:

1 Like

Dear Urszula,
really disappointed to find Body SAR for newly acquired Mudita to be nearly same as my Iphone!

• Why Body SAR measurement is relevant? I assume, because we carry it near our body most of the day (not making phone calls…).
  • I almost don’t use my phone near my head, maybe average 10 min talk time per day… 1 or 2 SMS… So maybe not taking advantage of the strongly advertised low head SAR (quote from website " [Mudita Pure] have one of the safest SAR values in the world (0.07 W/kg)")

THE QUESTION?
Could I infer that, radiation wise, it would be nearly the same to carry my iphone in the pocket than the Mudita?

FINAL COMMENTS
Maybe I am confused. But I feel cheated by your Marketing over-emphasizing and over-advertising the Head SAR value, and using it to compare with other phones (see your website’s SAR checker). If Body SAR was not relevant why measure at all?

Thank you,
Lourenço

3 Likes

@lourenco_goncalves Hi. Thank your for reaching out with your question.
My apologies for the delayed response, as I was trying to get the most comprehensive info for you.
Yes, Mudita Pure has the lowest SAR value for the head, as our heads are one of the most sensitive parts of our bodies and should be protected.
The telephone was designed to minimize the effect of electromagnetic radiation on humans, however, it must generate electromagnetic radiation in order to work, so it is always recommended to use headphones or loudspeakers. In simple terms, the intensity of the radiation decreases inversely proportional to the square of the distance, i.e. doubling the distance weakens the radiation four times.
It is important to note that the highest value for the body of 1.13 W/kg occurs when the phone is connected to a computer, tethering and providing a data/internet signal. It is highly unlikely that the phone is being held in someone’s hand during that time or touching any specific body part.
0,95 W/kg is the highest SAR (BODY) value when the phone is used only for making phone calls (not sharing internet)
Please note that The SAR values reported for mobile phones tend to significantly overstate real-life exposure levels, as models of phones are tested at maximum power levels under laboratory conditions to ensure that they comply. Mobile phones rarely operate at maximum power levels during everyday use. In order to avoid network interference, improve battery life and available call time, mobile phones constantly adapt to the minimum power required to make and maintain a call.

Since Mudita Pure is intentionally offline- it’s not connected to the internet when it’s tethering. Additionally, the antenna is designed in such a way, that you it shuts off when you are tethering, so you wouldn’t be able to make a phone call.

Hopefully this explanation makes sense. Please let me know if you need any more clarification.

1 Like