GPS is must in phone

I think GPS is must eventhough we don’t use it daily but it is must bcoz In many situation we get stuck so there is only one way to get a way to ask somebody which include any person or your own device for any direction and that’s not be any big issue for mudita pure to include in there feature bcoz GPS is not an distraction

1 Like

GPS capabilities would require specific hardware to be installed inside the phone, which Pure does not have. It could possibly be included in the next Mudita phone, but I would like to be able to physically disable it using a switch. And I personally don’t think GPS is a necessity. You can simply ask somebody for directions. Or, if you frequently travel through the same streets, you will eventually learn the path. Just focus on your surroundings. When I walk or cycle from school and have some extra time until the train departs, I frequently explore the city. There’s always something new to find.

2 Likes

Proclaiming that there’s “only one way” to get directions is pretty defeatist. Try this: https://github.com/ouidevelop/text-message-directions

4 Likes

There are several posts already in full swing pertaining to GPS, its necessity and alternatives. You can use the forum’s search feature to locate them; there are some interesting debates. :thought_balloon:

3 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong, but as far as I know in USA having a GPS module of sorts is required for a phone these days. I think it’s justified by having emergency services (911) having access to or being able to find your location. But I could be wrong about it. If this is true, might as well have some basic maps application, especially since USA cities are not “walkable” and sometimes you need to visit one-off places that usually you don’t need to go to on regular basis. You are not getting there by asking people, or by reading text messages on your phone while driving (some roads/intersections are crazy here!), or printing map with directions, cause if you miss a turn or a freeway exit you can get yourself pretty lost.

1 Like

@alexlya Actually, according to the FCC, devices that are not GPS-enabled must be tracked via triangulation with local cellular towers, a time consuming process that can only give an approximate location and can dangerously delay critical assistance. This means, that by having an non-GPS phone, you’re acknowledging the fact that the police might not be able to track you in an emergency.

2 Likes