Future versions of Mudita Pure?

Have there been any talks of a low SAR smart(er) version of the Pure, like a model that expands the functionality of the phone but still excludes the unnecessary i.e. games, social media etc? It would be great if we could see an e-ink phone that has the same ultra-low SAR rating but has the TOOLS that make a smartphone useful like navigation, camera, access to USEFUL apps, & maybe a restricted version of a web browser that would allow one to look up information while on the go etc.

It could be designed around its usefulness as a low SAR digital TOOL that discourages distraction rather than how great the color resolution is or the amount of silly selfie filters it has . In my opinion this would be excellent!

3 Likes

This is just not the right class of device to run those kinds of things. You can do what you want with an Android phone and a restricted launcher or ROM or Wisephone. Mudita had a beta for their own Android restricted launcher I think. I have not tried it.

Not sure about SAR ratings but I figure keeping connected on LTE or Wifi would increase SAR considerably? Not sure.

4 Likes

@rm8791, I love this idea! I’m not sure if you have come across this but if you go to Mudita’s webpage and click to the “Products” page and scroll down a bit, they have a concept image of what looks like a smartphone-like device with the words “next steps.” It might be too literal of an interpretation to assume a smarter device might be in the works but fingers crossed!

@rm8791 I think the device you are looking for, is the Lightphone 2.
This device was also one of the ones I had been considering, but I am currently favouring the Mudita because:

• Battery life
  • Physical buttons
  • I prefer local software rather than “software as a service”, and I don’t like having to sign-in to things just to do basic tasks.*

If Mudita do produce a “smarter” device, I hope that they continue to offer it with those features.

As a side-note, one of the drawbacks of “smarter” devices is that everyone’s idea of the essential features is different, and this contributes to requirements-creep. For instance, I would consider a 2FA authenticator almost a necessity now, and I’d love a Keepass-compatible password-safe too; other people think a podcasts or navigation app is essential. Some people believe WhatsApp is essential, whilst others would believe it of primary importance that WhatsApp is never “contaminating” the phone. I think, as inconvenient as it is, Mudita’s approach to minimalism is the healthiest I’ve seen so far in these sorts of devices. That said, I think the Lightphone 2 really has it close to the perfect functionality in a “smarter” device, if that’s what you’re after.

*Mudita Center runs locally on your computer, and interacts with the phone via a cable. If support ended for the Pure, or Mudita ceased operations, it would still function perfectly well. When you use the computer to manage the Lightphone, you have to use Lightphone’s web interface, which presumably beams your interactions to the Lightphone over the internet, which of course relies on Lightphone continuing to support your device for as long as you own it.

3 Likes

Light may be developing a desktop solution as well :wink:

1 Like

@Jose_Briones Just like Mudita Center?

Similar to it. But it won’t be out for a while.

1 Like

The LightPhone 2 is definitely a step in this direction, but its not the complete package I think many people are looking for.

The best smart “dumbphone” will be able to read QR codes and utilize a plethora of USEFUL apps i.e. rideshare, banking, music, stocks, grub hub .etc.

Its strength will be in the limitations of the web browser; it MUST block social media, adult content, movies/tv and only allow for very limited access (possibly on a weekly allotted amount of minutes that will “time out” once they are used) to certain websites.

Not long ago I was helping someone change a flat tire on their car, and I came to find out the lug nuts were stripped. Not knowing what to do , we looked up how to tackle this problem through a few YouTube videos, and I was able to get the necessary tools and change the tire.

There are times when the internet can be a very useful tool on the go, and a good phone will offer it in this manner to use when needed, as opposed to a way to withdraw and escape from people and the world around you.

It would be great if they could offer the Mudita Pure and A Mudita Pure Smart with the upgraded capability…If I had these two phones Id never need another. And Id love to see Mudita be the first to pull it off, as they seem to be one of the only manufacturers focusing on SAR numbers

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, we really appreciate it. Here’s something to also think about when it comes to apps: Privacy & the data they collect. Some may not function when not allowed to have access to data.
Check out odd experience with Google maps this past summer:

Using anything related to Google is becoming a last resort for me. I just recently purchased a GPS navigation unit for driving to avoid using Google maps

Trying to work with app developers who respect user privacy seems like a good option. If not, you can always inform your customers which apps do collect/ sell data, and the choice whether or not to use them is theirs

Also, just throwing this out there, but a screen that can alternate between e-ink and standard full color would be excellent (the TCL 40 NxtPaper phone has done something similar I believe, minus the low SAR numbers). Or a two-sided phone (one e-ink one color), where the side not in use is covered by a plastic cover is another

The concept of this phone should be that it is nothing more than a time-saving convenience tool, NOT something to be glued to for hours a day. Use it for what you need, then put it away. That concept should be the character of the phone

1 Like