From CDs to Kompakt: Taking My 30,000-Song Music Library With Me

:musical_note: From CDs to Kompakt: Taking My 30,000-Song Music Library With Me

Hi everyone!

I wanted to share an experience with my Mudita Kompakt that I honestly never expected when I bought the phone.

:headphone: First, a little bit of background

I’m a huge music lover, and being 40+, I lived through the whole transition of how we own and listen to music.

I remember when the music you had was simply the music you actually owned: first on cassettes, then CDs, then MP3s, and eventually everything moved to streaming and the cloud.

But since I was around 13 years old, I’ve had a passion, and probably a bit of an obsession :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:, for organizing and building my own music library.

Over the years, I started digitizing the CDs I bought and creating my own collection. In the early days, I even used Excel spreadsheets to keep track of which MP3 disc contained each album!

Later, my library eventually made its way into Apple’s music ecosystem, where I was finally able to organize everything properly.

Fast forward many years, and that library has grown into something pretty substantial:

:floppy_disk: 159 GB of music
:musical_note: 30,000+ songs
:microphone: 660+ artist folders

Everything is carefully organized by artist and album, with song information and album artwork.

The problem was that I had never really found a portable device that could comfortably handle the entire collection.

Whenever I loaded more than around 60 GB of music onto previous devices, performance became poor and browsing through such a large library became almost impossible.


:mobile_phone: Then came the Kompakt…

When I bought my Mudita Kompakt, I never imagined that I would eventually try to put my entire music collection on it.

But then I realized that the Kompakt supported large-capacity microSD cards.

And that’s when the experiment began. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I had a 256 GB SanDisk Class 10 microSD card, so I decided to give it a try.

I had also read in different forums about CalmMusic being a good option for listening to local music on e-ink devices, so I installed it on the Kompakt.

Then came the big job:

Transferring 159 GB of music…

Because my library is so large, I’ve learned from experience not to copy everything at once.

I transfer it in sections:

A → C, then D → F, and so on.

That makes it much easier to identify a problematic file if something goes wrong and also gives me more confidence that the entire library was copied correctly.

Once all 159 GB were on the microSD card, it was time for the dramatic part.


:hourglass_not_done: 0%… and nothing happened :joy:

I opened CalmMusic, went into the settings, selected Local, and pointed the app to the folder containing my music library.

Then I started the scan.

And…

Nothing.

The first step of the process was scanning the folder for music files, and the progress indicator just sat at:

0%

And it stayed there.

For hours.

At that point I really wasn’t sure whether the app had frozen, crashed, or simply couldn’t handle a library this large.

Then, almost three hours later, something happened.

1%

:joy:

Believe me, seeing that 1% suddenly made me incredibly optimistic.

At least I knew it was doing something!

I kept checking it periodically throughout the day.

Slowly but surely, the percentage continued climbing. Interestingly, as the hours passed, the scanning seemed to progress a little faster.

After about 24 hours, it had reached approximately 90%.

And after roughly 27 hours, CalmMusic finally finished scanning the entire 159 GB music folder.

Then came step 2 of 2…

And surprisingly, that part only took around three minutes.


:sparkles: And then… magic.

There it was.

My entire music library.

:musical_note: 30,000+ songs
:microphone: 660+ artist folders
:floppy_disk: 159 GB of music
:mobile_phone: All accessible from my Kompakt

Artists, albums, songs and artwork, all organized and accessible.

Honestly, it was a pretty amazing moment.

I bought the Kompakt for completely different reasons and never expected that this little phone would eventually become a device capable of carrying the music library I’ve been building for most of my life.

And it works remarkably well.


:snow_capped_mountain: Why offline music still matters to me

I know keeping a huge offline music collection probably isn’t very common anymore. Most people simply stream their music today.

But for me, offline music is still very useful.

I spend time in a cabin in the mountains where having reliable connectivity isn’t always something I can depend on.

Being able to carry my entire music collection with me, without needing the cloud or a streaming service, is genuinely valuable.

And there’s also something special about knowing that this is my music library, a collection that I’ve been slowly building and organizing since I was 13 years old.


:musical_notes: So… can Kompakt handle a huge offline music library?

In my experience…

159 GB and 30,000+ songs later, mine is doing great. :slightly_smiling_face:

I wanted to share this experience in case there are other music lovers here who still maintain their own MP3 or offline music libraries.

I’m also sharing a few screenshots from my phone so you can see CalmMusic, the external storage, and how the library looks once everything is indexed.

One last update

After installing the 16.1 system update, everything continued working great.

If anyone is trying something similar and has questions, I’ll be more than happy to share what worked for me.

See you around, and keep enjoying the music! :musical_note::headphone:





6 Likes

Thank you for sharing this experience! I must say, i had to laugh :smiley:

I also like the Idea of a Music collection carefully selected by me. I resently started to by Music on Qobuz. The Kompakt is a very nice device to get in the Moment an listen to the my favorite Songs.

1 Like

This is amazing! 2 years ago I got rid of all streaming services and now I have my whole digital collection on my modded iPod mini.

I have been wanting to put some music on the Mudita just because sometimes it is nice to use bluetooth in the gym or when running.

It is great to know that the experience went well for you, thank you for sharing!

2 Likes

@javier.squivel WOW! That’s all I can really say. I loved reading this, especially the moment when that first 1% finally appeared. Your patience certainly paid off! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: It’s wonderful to hear that Mudita Kompakt, together with CalmMusic, has become an unexpected home for your collection.

Thank you for sharing the process so thoughtfully, including the long initial scan. Those details will be useful to anyone considering a similar setup.

I bet having the whole collection with you helped you rediscover any albums you hadn’t listened to in years! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: I’m glad you enjoyed the story!

That’s exactly what I love about having my own collection too. It’s not just a folder full of music, every album is there because at some point I chose it and wanted it to be part of my library.

And the Kompakt fits surprisingly well with that idea: choose some music, disconnect for a while, and just listen.

Enjoy building your Qobuz collection! :headphone:

A modded iPod Mini! That’s awesome

I totally get why you keep your collection there. And yes, having some music on the Kompakt is really convenient for those moments when you just want to connect your Bluetooth headphones and go.

I was honestly surprised by how well it handled my library. Hope you give it a try!

1 Like

Thank you! :blush: I have to admit, that 1% felt like a small victory after staring at 0% for so long! :joy:

And yes, one unexpected side effect has been rediscovering albums and songs I had almost forgotten were in my collection.

You actually gave me an idea for a follow-up post: I could load the same 159 GB / 30,000+ song library into the native Kompakt music app and see how it handles it compared with CalmMusic.

If you think that kind of test would be interesting for the community, I’d be more than happy to give it a try and share what I find. I really enjoy pushing the Kompakt a little beyond the “normal” use case and documenting the experience.