Environment and sustainability

Hello!
I just came across Mudita Pure and this phone looks like exactly what I have been looking for. However, there’s one thing I haven’t been able to find on your website - what is your commitment to the environment and sustainability?
I’m torn between getting a Fairphone 3 and a Mudita Pure for this reason - Fairphone is very clear that they source their materials responsibly as well as advocating for workers’ welfare. They are also committed to designing longer-lasting products that are easier to repair, and reducing and reusing waste. See more here: https://www.fairphone.com/en/impact/
On the other hand, I love the idea of having a phone without internet.
So what is your policy on this, to help me make a decision. :slight_smile:
Cheers, Hannah
P.S. I saw that @pup asked something similar here, but I felt that @lukasz.anwajler didn’t really answer the question, it’s simply passing on the responsibility to other companies instead :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

We are happy to hear you’re interested in our phone!

One of our values is conscious production, that’s why we decided to manufacture our phone in Poland. It’s more expensive and challenging, but we believe it’s worth it and it’s something that is missing in the market. This way we ensure that working conditions are according to European standards and we can oversee the process.

We did extensive research when it comes to the material for the body of the phone. Our goal was to produce it in as sustainable a way as possible. We looked into a fair amount of materials with which to make the casing of Mudita Pure. Unfortunately, recycled plastic is not good enough for as detailed an element as the phone is and biocomposites are not recyclable, as they are made of mixed materials.

That’s why we’re building a phone that will last as long as possible and be repairable. It will be possible to replace the battery and we want to offer spare parts on our e-commerce site.

We value what Fairphone does as well and it’s a great benchmark for us. We do as much as we can at this moment as a new company, and our aim is to do more in that area.

I hope that answers your question, thanks again for showing that it is something that people are already appreciating and asking for.

2 Likes