E ink vs eye strain

As a person who suffers from eye strain, I often have to take scheduled breaks from screen time, otherwise, it just becomes too uncomfortable. I’m really excited about Mudita’s e ink display because even when I need to use technology, I can avoid visual stress. In our latest blog post, The Eyestrain Debate, we discuss the strain LCD/LED screens put on our eye & how e ink might be an alternative for some screen time activities. I’m curious about our community members’ experience with E ink. Has it helped reduce eye strain?

6 Likes

@blurmoon Welcome to the community. Thanks for the feedback. Check out my latest article about Unplugged offline activities & let me know what you think.

3 Likes

I try to minimize how much I look at a screen before bed. I watched a documentary recently that said that you should avoid blue light exposure at least 2 hours before bed. That seems a little extreme if you ask me. But what do I know.

3 Likes

@kullenm I think we watched the same documentary. Was it the DW one on sleep? I watched it over the weekend.

2 Likes

I am reading so much things that are only available through my computer (research papers and things like this blog article) so that I wish there was a nice, easy and fast option to just drop them on the e-reader. I have a system setup where I can individually pick a PDF and read it there, but it involves several steps:

If it is a web-page, I have to increase the font-size, print it as PDF and then copy it to a certain directory on my PC and then I can download it from my e-reader with the out-dated web-browser. If the article is about the average length then the process could take longer than the actual reading. You can imagine, that I don’t do this very often.

If it is a reaserch paper, it is already PDF and I cannot increase font-size or reformat it from A4 to A5, so I am stuck reading it in landscape mode on the e-reader. But mostly it starts with the abstract and sometime I read only parts of it. Again, the effort of moving it to the e-reader is mostly just too much.

But when I read there it is very pleasent, even if the font-size is reduced a bit from what would be possible on the large PC-screen. I cannot personally report eye strain, because I have set the color-temperature to 6000K. It is more the difference compared to the natural lighting that seperates it for me and the distance. But the distance-problem also applies to the e-reader. The only way to relaxe my tired eyes is to stop reading, closing eyes and watch out of the window for a brief moment. Sometimes, increasing the font-size, using an optimized font for people with bad sight (I am wearing glasses) and not focusing helps, too.

Luckily, I read novels from paper books, I never got into this e-book thing, despite having an e-reader. I read only one novel on it which was already there and unfortunatly not a good story. ^^

Having e-ink on the phone will be very good for me.

4 Likes

@poinck I don’t know what it is about REAL books- the smell, the touch or the crinkle of the page, that keeps me loyal to the actual book. I was never a fan of the e book reader.

5 Likes

I have a Kobo ereader with Pocket. It’s a great way to bypass lots of transfer actions to bring content on eink screens. However, for PDFs, still need to transfer the file.
But for articles, blog posts, and other text heavy elements Pocket is a great solution. I don’t know if many other ereaders have that.

2 Likes