Discussion: No group text or call on the Mudita Pure

I recently reached out to Mudita with some questions, one of which was about Group Text or Call support. This is the response I got:

Group messages/calls won’t be supported. Although you will receive text messages as separate text messages from those who sent them to the chosen group of people.

I’m a huge fan of Mudita’s manifesto and from what I’ve seen of the phone so far, it is nearly perfect. I also completely understand the commitment to a truly hands-off phone. That said, I feel like group texting and calling (at least a merged three-way call) is a must. The lack of group texting was a major player in killing the similarly-offline Punkt phone.

How do you all feel about this? And to follow up with Mudita staff: Is this something we could expect to see later with a software update?

2 Likes

@textbook_quest Thank you for your input. Currently, Mudita is not planning on supporting group text, however, I can’t predict what updates we will make in the future. That said, on of our users @Ryan_Manheimer suggested a US based alternative: https://groupme.com/en-US/sms Perhaps this could be an option for you.

I appreciate the transparency - it just seems like a pretty big step back.

Unless there is some technical reason why group text is unfeasible that I’m ignorant to?

But group calls (at least three-way calls) were something I could do on my landline 20 years ago! That one hurts.

I guess I’ll remain hopeful. Thanks for the reply,

1 Like

If we can get SIP to work, it wouldn’t be difficult to get group call functionality through cloud voip providers like Zadarma.com. I’ve been using their service for a couple of years now and am pretty happy with them.

2 Likes

@thinkround This is going over my head — is that like a virtual phone number service? You’d have to have a different phone number specifically for group calls?

1 Like

I hope group text will be added after release.

2 Likes

@alexlya If you’re based in the US, this could be an alternative: GroupMe SMS https://groupme.com/en-US/sms